User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin

Ahem...there is another company that has flatbeds and runs that will get GFI through CDA on a regular basis. Hint, they're in Missoula and have red trucks 8)
Sorry to hear he may be looking to change companies, what will the company do if their drivers don't want to be O/Os ? will they be fired? or will this be a gradual transition through attrition?
They will not be fired so to speak but they will not have a job. Davis has stated that they will attempt to help place the employees at other companies.

W&S has only one preventable allowed. My husband has to find someone who will also be willing to look at the 13 months with Davis vs the two accidents in the first two or three weeks with May Trucking.

If at all possible he would like to be home more also. If we can get on with NW run he would be home on weekends and the children will love that but then again will he be eligible to get into Canada is the question there.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice

Sorry that it was a suprise to you. I thought you had been hearing the rumors that were floating around about it for a while now.
The only rumor that my husband heard of was the story about what happened to the guy who was involved in the accident of the I-90 a while back. He heard that the official story was he was thrown from the truck so that the gory details of what really happened would be spared.

Thats right you thought you may have had his trailer.

Well anyway since my husband actually drove by that accident and saw it he said he believe that what was said (the rumor) was more than likely true.

Congratulations on your decision to get a new truck, I think it is a wise to own it separately and lease on with them. I wish you the best and will be watching your thread!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice

Sorry that it was a suprise to you. I thought you had been hearing the rumors that were floating around about it for a while now.
The only rumor that my husband heard of was the story about what happened to the guy who was involved in the accident of the I-90 a while back. He heard that the official story was he was thrown from the truck so that the gory details of what really happened would be spared.

Thats right you thought you may have had his trailer.

Well anyway since my husband actually drove by that accident and saw it he said he believe that what was said (the rumor) was more than likely true.

Congratulations on your decision to get a new truck, I think it is a wise to own it separately and lease on with them. I wish you the best and will be watching your thread!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Yeah I heard those rumors as well.

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. I too will be monitoring your thread to see where you and GFI decided to go
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

:roll: Well we must have been the last people around to hear about Davis going O/O. When I called and spoke to a company recruiter yesterday I told him that Davis was going O/O and he told me he already knew about that and that Will from Sage told him about it the day before.

My husband's truck boss has not really had to much time to discuss it with him as he was doing dispatch for the Western area this week while the normal dispatcher was on vacation.

My husband picked up this morning in Houston Texas and spoke with a few other Davis drivers that were also there. He will be heading into San Diego California. He is going to ask to be dispatched up towards home so he can find out if he is or is not eligible to go into Canada.

I know we will not find another company that my husband will receive hand written birthday cards or anniversary cards from the President of the Company. Nor that everyone in the company that I speak to will know my husband by name and speak so highly of him. And I doubt my husband will have such a nice truck.

Hopefully it will offset by maybe better money and more hometime.

The one company asked my husband for his certificate from Sage which somewhat surprised me since he has been with Davis for 13 months now. Oh well I guess I will have to dig out some things for my husband this weekend at home.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Board Regular

Work hard, do a good job..and whats your reward ? Forced into being a "lease operator" or get laid off.....great choice...Sorry to hear about it, GFIW. Don't get sucked into being an "independent" against your will, no matter WHO tells you how great it is. If it was so wonderful, Davis would still have company trucks. They are just trying to shift fuel costs onto so called "independent contractors".....They'll tell you how great life is with the fuel surcharge right up until freight slows down even more. Then the bankruptcy begins. I gave you good advice once before and it has not changed. Be careful about what company GFI hire's on with. He has some miles on him now, so he can be a little bit picky...BTW only convictions for assault (domestic or with a deadly weapon) or any crimes involving a weapon or any felony will bar you from going to Canada. His small "accident" at May will not bar him from the "Great White North"..I was born in Canada and am a "dual citizen"....Although my loyalties lie with the United States...
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Work hard, do a good job..and whats your reward ? Forced into being a "lease operator" or get laid off.....great choice.
You load 16 tons, and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 AM

a bad check conviction from 11 years ago keeps me outta canuckada....well ok i could buy the $200 waiver but its really not that important to me

the check was for $35...and i paid the check off before i ever went to court...still got convicted...paid the fines and moved on...was only when i went to rescue my brother from a bull ridin in east end did i find out that i couldn't enter anymore
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Work hard, do a good job..and whats your reward ? Forced into being a "lease operator" or get laid off.....great choice...Sorry to hear about it, GFIW. Don't get sucked into being an "independent" against your will, no matter WHO tells you how great it is. If it was so wonderful, Davis would still have company trucks. They are just trying to shift fuel costs onto so called "independent contractors".....They'll tell you how great life is with the fuel surcharge right up until freight slows down even more. Then the bankruptcy begins. I gave you good advice once before and it has not changed. Be careful about what company GFI hire's on with. He has some miles on him now, so he can be a little bit picky...BTW only convictions for assault (domestic or with a deadly weapon) or any crimes involving a weapon or any felony will bar you from going to Canada. His small "accident" at May will not bar him from the "Great White North"..I was born in Canada and am a "dual citizen"....Although my loyalties lie with the United States...
Thank you FeederFred! I agree with you and will follow the advice. I would have followed your advice before if we were in a different financial situation.

We will not lease on with any company unless we had a big cash sum and the truck independent of the company was already almost paid off and we had some fall back money to rely on.

I really hope you are right regarding Canada I have heard that they are getting really bad about allowing people in. It will be a big relief when my husband can make it up to the border and they say yes.

And then once again when he gets a new job and hopefully as I said it will be better or more consistent pay and more hometime.

I know he has a good record with Davis and they gave him one of their nicest trucks.

I really have no idea why Davis is going O/O and L/O to me it does not make sense that they would phase it in. At this point they do not know how many people will be signing on they have 10 that have been on the L/O program. I do not know how many Independent O/O they have.

What will happen to all the loads that the O/O do not want to take? What will happen if Davis cannot take those loads because none of the drivers will take them will they lose other good loads with those customers?

Davis laid off a dispatcher, some other office people and shop people at the end of summer. So I am wondering if they are doing this for financial reasons. Whether or not it does not have any bearing on our decision we are not comfortable signing on at this point with any company as a L/O as we would be putting our livelihood completely in the hands of the companies ability to make certain we have enough good paying loads that we could make a truck payment, all other expenses plus afford to live.

So this is yet another Chapter in our lives and hopefully with 13 going on 14 months of employment without any problems will more or less erase the rocky and bad start we had with May Trucking.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
a bad check conviction from 11 years ago keeps me outta canuckada....well ok i could buy the $200 waiver but its really not that important to me

the check was for $35...and i paid the check off before i ever went to court...still got convicted...paid the fines and moved on...was only when i went to rescue my brother from a bull ridin in east end did i find out that i couldn't enter anymore
Heck now they just charge you $30.00 overdraft and keep your paycheck. I almost cried when I saw our yearly overdraft charges. Some just could not be helped as we had bills that had to be paid or else. The bank knows when to hold them and will pull them in the best order to make them money.

But hearing this does not make me very secure as my husbands conviction is for a Class A misdemeanor for Second Degree Criminal Mischief. I don't know how much you followed along our saga but this all came about from his first solo trip with May Trucking. Two guys in the dark parking lot after business hours helped him out of the parking lot without identifying themselves. He left the parking lot parked at a truck area within ten miles and intended on going back in the morning. The one guy was security guard and instead of bothering to inform my husband he had any dealing with the building or would be the person who my husband could give this information to he played hero and called in on my husband as a hit and run.

We because of our financial situation agreed to plea to Third Degree Criminal Mischief and nothing else. Our attorney went to court the attorney, DA and Judge changed the plea and determined what my husband would accept. Then nobody even bothered to tell us about this change. :roll:

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

Before this my husband has NEVER had a record and was squeaky clean.

Sometimes I feel as if they are attempting to lock Americans in more than keeping criminals out of America. These are strange and different times we are living in.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 AM
BANNED

Even a minor conviction will be a problem.

Persons who are inadmissible to Canada

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...issible-en.asp