User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
If your so busy, where do you find the time to post on CAD consistently, run the GoldiesPlating business you speak of AND keep up a recruiting website?

Oh, now I see. That's why you feel so stressed out, your working 3 jobs for whatever reason. I can only assume that you must not be making enough money driving. Oh well, you coulda been a Maverick :?:

Then again....maybe not :dung: :mrgreen:
I'm on a dedicated account now (home daily and weekends) so I have more free time. My gold business is done by three employees I just make sure they turn in their bills and P.O.'s on the weekends and I have a laptop with wireless so I can maintain the website from anywhere. I make MORE than enough money and for me, driving a truck has never been about money. Doing it because I've always wanted to. Even so, on the home daily account I make $1100.00/week.

As far as I could have been a Maverick, why? Make LESS money, drive ugly trucks and be away from home a LOT more? No thanks, think I'll stay with TMC. You inquired, I answered. :wink:
Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 AM

Arcky said:
Quote:
Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide.
I paid a visit to the TMC campus (50 acres!) on Sunday morning last month. They were humming. I saw about 350 tractors and trailers loaded and ready to roll early the next morning with an amazing variety of loads. And there were another 2,500 trucks out on the road. The mechanics were on duty working on the preventive maintenance programs. Other TMC employees were pulling in to work the dispatch area and lay out the schedules for the drivers. And there were about 40 drivers going through securement training.

Quite a busy place for a Sunday morning.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 10-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
Arcky said:
Quote:
Don't let anyone fool you. If there is a slowdown it's industry wide.
I paid a visit to the TMC campus (50 acres!) on Sunday morning last month. They were humming. I saw about 350 tractors and trailers loaded and ready to roll early the next morning with an amazing variety of loads. And there were another 2,500 trucks out on the road. The mechanics were on duty working on the preventive maintenance programs. Other TMC employees were pulling in to work the dispatch area and lay out the schedules for the drivers. And there were about 40 drivers going through securement training.

Quite a busy place for a Sunday morning.
Yeah, see, we ARE pretty slow..... NOT!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Rookie

northernlights,

Since you haven't driven in 7 years did they make you go to school or did they send you straight to orientation?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Rookie
Default mavericks trucks

the maroon freight liners may not be as flashy as the TMC behemoths you guys drive.....however if you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck Maverick is the way to go......Maverick drives what they do because they are good rigs. My freightliner gets over 7 mpg on an average week......the reason Maverick went to super singles was weight...every component on the truck is designed to be efficient and do a job.....flatbedding........I have personally seen TMC trucks have trouble manuevering in some of the places we go to do the job.........the trucks are longer than ours.......if you want to make a good living give me a shout and I can tell you about a good company Maverick.....wonderman
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: mavericks trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderman
the maroon freight liners may not be as flashy as the TMC behemoths you guys drive.....however if you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck Maverick is the way to go......Maverick drives what they do because they are good rigs. My freightliner gets over 7 mpg on an average week......the reason Maverick went to super singles was weight...every component on the truck is designed to be efficient and do a job.....flatbedding........I have personally seen TMC trucks have trouble manuevering in some of the places we go to do the job.........the trucks are longer than ours.......if you want to make a good living give me a shout and I can tell you about a good company Maverick.....wonderman
I'm happy to see someone satisfied (instead of complaining) about their company. It's good to know there are other drivers out there who can appreciate a fine company (which Maverick is). What I didn't quite understand in your post was where you said "If you are interested in making a living and not just a flashy truck..."???? TMC pays better than Maverick AND we have "flashier" trucks. Why NOT have BOTH?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Rookie

why do u need to have both if it's not a neccessity?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Rookie

I've been reading these threads for a couple of months now never voicing my opinions about anything, and I too, have been trying to decide between TMC and Maverick. Believe me I feel like both companies are very good choices to start of a professional driving career. I have read a lot of posts by Flatbed Fred even the one going back to when he had just got his CDL and was trying to decide who he would drive for. I feel like he's a very educated, honest, and good hearted guy, from what i have read, but he does seem totally biased toward TMC. Why would he say in one thread that Maverick is just as good as TMC then turn around and say "They have ugly trucks, less pay," and "Why not drive a shinier truck". I have read a whole lot more negative about TMC than I have about Maverick, so what makes them so much better besides the shinier trucks. That seems like the only difference to me, and please believe that a big shiny Peterbuilt doesn't make or break a lot of guys like myself. Yes, I'm directing this question toward Flatbed Fred.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Training pay is better @ Maverick
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm96merc
I've been reading these threads for a couple of months now never voicing my opinions about anything, and I too, have been trying to decide between TMC and Maverick. Believe me I feel like both companies are very good choices to start of a professional driving career. I have read a lot of posts by Flatbed Fred even the one going back to when he had just got his CDL and was trying to decide who he would drive for. I feel like he's a very educated, honest, and good hearted guy, from what i have read, but he does seem totally biased toward TMC. Why would he say in one thread that Maverick is just as good as TMC then turn around and say "They have ugly trucks, less pay," and "Why not drive a shinier truck". I have read a whole lot more negative about TMC than I have about Maverick, so what makes them so much better besides the shinier trucks. That seems like the only difference to me, and please believe that a big shiny Peterbuilt doesn't make or break a lot of guys like myself. Yes, I'm directing this question toward Flatbed Fred.
Of course I'm biased toward TMC, I WORK for them and they treat me well. As far as how drivers are treated, how well they are trained, what they have to do daily and how they are viewed by others on the road, TMC and Maverick are VERY similar. I know quite a few Maverick drivers and respect them and the work they do. If you are NOT a flatbed driver yet than it may be difficult for you to understand the respect we have for others in the same profession regarding their load securement practices and driving behavior. When I say Maverick is just like TMC it is these feelings and actions I am speaking of. We both secure loads properly and meticulously while driving responsibly and with common courtesy and respect. THAT'S where the similarity ends. I make no apology for saying that TMC pays better, does have better equipment, gets me home daily on my dedicated route and most others 46/52 weekends per year on Line Haul. The drivers I know at Maverick stay out weeks at a time and still make less than me. That doesn't make Maverick a "bad" company, just different.
I've always had a few people comment whenever I say TMC is "better" than "X" company and I find that odd. They try to disagree with me but can never offer a valid rebuttal or any evidence to prove me wrong. I truly believe that some people just love to see themselves type.

I ESPECIALLY love the people who say "Training pay is better at Maverick" Now THERE'S a way to pick your career path! Base it on what you make the first 6 weeks during training.
Company "A" pays you a Million dollars a year but you only get 100 bucks a week the first month whereas Company "B" only pays you 300 bucks a week but the TRAINING pay is AWESOME! I'm gonna go with company "B"!!! :roll: