User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm96merc
hey fred i have another question that maybe u could clear up for a "possible employee" like myself. In my reading of these very threads i came across a discussion a while back regarding the percentage pay at TMC. I think it might have been an employee or ex-employee i'm not sure so don't nail me to the cross, but he was saying that after u get up to about 27 or 29% they start giving u lesser paying loads and give all the good paying loads to the guys making entry level percentage. Oh and by the way I don't want u to apologize about anything u say or have said about Maverick, that company pretty much speaks for itself here on these boards, i was just stating the obvious, that's all :wink: I also thought that most Maverick drivers get home every weekend with the exception of the longhaul fleet, are you sure your information is correct Fred?
I've heard that rumor when I started also and never found it to be true. Usually the higher paying loads pay more because they need to get somewhere quicker, or are more challenging, or require an experienced driver. That said, the high dollar loads tend to go to the better drivers, not the slackers, and the better drivers do make higher percentage. Also, that "entry level percentage" goes away VERY quickly. I was at 28% after month one and 29% by month two.

As far as Maverick guys getting home every weekend, the ones I met I guess were long haul (I didn't ask) but most didn't get home every weekend. Mavericks site itself claims 500-700 mile loads (I think). Given those numbers, it may be difficult getting drivers home by Friday.

TMC guarantees you home in writing 46/52 weekends per year.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Rookie

good point fred, and by the way that was the only time i saw those comments posted, just in that one thread. As far as Maverick's hometime policy, does anybody else know anything about getting home on weekends, cause if not, i only have to assume that fred is right :wink:
Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Board Icon

If I remember right redsfan said he was home every weekend while he worked for Maverick. Kept him out once early on along with several other drivers who were new. It is basically just like TMC, just a different name, color and trucks.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
good point fred, and by the way that was the only time i saw those comments posted, just in that one thread. As far as Maverick's hometime policy, does anybody else know anything about getting home on weekends, cause if not, i only have to assume that fred is right :wink:
Per Maverick's website 98% get home every weekend.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Check here http://www.classadrivers.com/index.php and on the right side of the page, Schneider's banner claims the bonus.
As far as what I would have said regarding those other companies if I chose them, I wouldn't, because I chose NOT to work for them after doing four months of research on ALL trucking companies. I visited many truck stops, spoke with drivers from dozens of companies, called many of the companies many times once I had my list down to a dozen or so, and made my choice. TMC. TMC is NOT without their quirks and internal problems, but most of TMC's problems are related to positive company GROWTH and not caused by lack of freight, lack of revenue or poor equipment. So I guess you can say they are "good problems" from a business standpoint. They seem to be growing so fast that at times, management sometimes has trouble keeping up. For me, I'd rather work for a company that is profitable and growing, rather than a company that is struggling to get freight or pay their bills. Not saying that Maverick has these problems, but there are quite a few companies that have to lay their drivers over quite often. Personally I have NEVER laid over and the longest I've waited for a re-load was 2 hours.
well spoken...............im on a 2 week waiting list for maverick orientation. I called TMC about four weeks ago and got approved over the phone. At the time, I had just put in my two weeks notice with my previous employer so I never called TMC back, but i'm pretty sure that I would still be good to go if i did decide to call. I really can't decide which one. The one thing that i do see wrong with Maverick is the waiting list. The flaw is that they are giving a possible employee too much time to think about other companies that probably could get the ball rolling the same week. I've done a lot of research on this subject, and the longer i wait for mav to call the more opportunity i have to re-consider TMC.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Per Maverick's website 98% get home every weekend.
Yes, but do they guarantee it in writing as TMC does?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Board Regular

I have not worked for either of these companies but researched and applied to both of them right after CDL school. Here is what happened.

We had a TMC recruiter come to our school and I talked to him in great detail. He appeared very interested and even went so far as to show me a picture of the trucks they had and said, "this is the type of truck you will be driving." We went over the application and I covered all the issues that I knew would be of interest to a prospective company. He said it all sounded good and told me to fax over my application. I waited for several days with no response so I called TMC. I was told I was turned down for the position. I asked why but I was told that no reason could or would be given only that something on my application caused TMC to make the negative decision. I PM'd one of the recruiters that used to be on here to try and get more information but was told nothing more than, "try back with us after you get some experience with another company." But the recruiter came to a CDL school and was actively recruiting students! What was the point? No call or letter response to let me know of the turndown and when I called I got the cold shoulder and the super secret we cant tell you why treatment.

In contrast, I made my first contact with Maverick by my application here with ClassAdrivers. I called Maverick to follow up on my application and spoke in depth with their recruiter. At her request I filled out the application on their website and then made arrangements for her to fax a release to my family doctor for my medical information. After about an hour on the phone going over the details of my applicaiton and her answering my questions I was given a specific time that she would call back to tell me if I was approved or denied. She also asked my permission for her to call me back and give updates on my application process and to follow up on any questions she had. We spoke a couple more times during the next three days and then I got an hire approval and made arrangements for orientation and training.

In short, where I got a complete lack of cooperation and attention from TMC I got the exact opposite from Maverick. The recruiter from Maverick went over their hiring process with me in detail and gave me feedback from those in the decision process on my application (example, "saftey was very impressed with your spotless driving record for 10 years" & "medical says there is no problem with your health even with the prescription medication you are currently on.").

I even had to cancel my first orientation date because of my mother having emergency heart surgury and got nothing but cooperation from Maverick by allowing me a full month delay for orientation so I could help care for my mother.

Had I not received an offer to go line haul with OD (and get home everyday) I would have gone to Maverick. Granted I have not worked for either company but based only on what happened during the application process it appears to me that Maverick is the superior company.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Rookie

I think i talked to the same recruiter as u did and she called me back when she said she would, was very helpful, and always answered all of my questions. On the other hand when i did get the verbal, over the phone approval from TMC i wasn't really trying she asked me about my driving record, if i had a current cdl, and any dui's or felonies. After i answered all of these questions i asked her how do i go about getting a prehire, she said "u just got one". It kinda shocked me because she really didn't have any way of knowing i was telling the truth or not. She had already started telling me when i would attend orientation, and i had to put on the brakes and tell her that i haven't completed my two weeks notice yet, that's the only thing that slowed her down. I hate two go all the way to Iowa just on a verbal application to get up there and find out that they found something they do not like on my written application................it's a long way back to Georgia :cry:
Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think i talked to the same recruiter as u did and she called me back when she said she would, was very helpful, and always answered all of my questions. On the other hand when i did get the verbal, over the phone approval from TMC i wasn't really trying she asked me about my driving record, if i had a current cdl, and any dui's or felonies. After i answered all of these questions i asked her how do i go about getting a prehire, she said "u just got one". It kinda shocked me because she really didn't have any way of knowing i was telling the truth or not. She had already started telling me when i would attend orientation, and i had to put on the brakes and tell her that i haven't completed my two weeks notice yet, that's the only thing that slowed her down. I hate two go all the way to Iowa just on a verbal application to get up there and find out that they found something they do not like on my written application................it's a long way back to Georgia :cry:
If you weren't telling the truth, it would be only YOU who suffers as it would be YOUR butt back on that long bus ride home WITHOUT pay so they have nothing to loose. On the other hand, if you were telling the truth, which TMC assumes you did, your pre-hire would stand based on your description of yourself.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Some things I've noticed after questioning driver applicants who've been declined "for no reason" as they claim are as follows:

DUI conviction and rehab treatment many years ago. He may be "ok" with the law, but not TMC.
Religious requirements that necessitate the driver be home by sundown on Friday. THIS can never be Guaranteed!
A 5' 5" applicant who weighs 350 pounds. No way could he hop up and down on the trailer and do hard labor without risking a heart attack.
A very OLD applicant with a heart condition.
A past "job hopping" history.
And many other "quirks" that may seem "ok" to the applicant, but won't fly when trying to do your job as a flatbed driver.

While I have no proof that these are the reasons these individuals were turned down, I honestly believe that an individual who is turned down KNOWS deep down inside why they were.