User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You KNOW it's one year as does everyone here so why ask? 6 months, one year, 5 years, WHAT'S the big deal if you plan on driving for a living? I don't plan on leaving TMC any time soon and knew that going in because I did my research prior to choosing a company.
I can see where a year may be a long time if we were talking about a company like Swift or Schneider, where a lot of guys who get turned down by TMC go and proceed to make NO money. That's when some people just want to "put in their time" in hopes of getting a better job some time down the road. With TMC or Maverick, there is no need to move along after 6 months or a year as we still make more money and, IMO, work for better companies than most veteran drivers do who are employed elsewhere. I'll make over $60,000 this year and plan on making more NEXT year.
Even if I WERE to leave TODAY, I've made more than I would have at Maverick or any other company that I looked at to the point that it would more than offset the CDL tuition cost if I had to pay off the remaining balance.
So many guys go to work for a company with the thought in their head (even BEFORE they get there) that, "I'll just work here for a few months, get some experience, and go work elsewhere. I see this advice given on CAD every day. It's these "job hoppers" with the job hopper mentality who are responsible for the large turnover rate we see in the trucking industry as a whole.

If you want to be a driver, do your homework and find a company that you plan on STAYING with for a while (unless of course your tainted past prevents you). At least that's how you should FEEL when you go to work originally for them.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Rookie

Hi Fred,
My Husband works at TMC also. Long haul He is in Phoenix right now, getting his 36 hr reset, and he loves it so far. He was a city supervisor in our town, drove part time, for a small company. Has his pension locked up, so decided if TMC took him on he would change careers. He started as a experienced driver at TMC. He is in his 3rd week on his own now. I work at UPS, but don't drive any more, have a cushy job now. When I retire in 8 yrs I am going on the truck with him.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

My husband has applied for both Maverick and TMC. We're hoping to hear something from them before too long, I think he would be longhaul on TMC, but in the hiring area for Maverick, so more money with TMC, more hometime with Maverick, quite a toss up. They both sound like excellant companies though, especially for starting out.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
My husband has applied for both Maverick and TMC. We're hoping to hear something from them before too long, I think he would be longhaul on TMC, but in the hiring area for Maverick, so more money with TMC, more hometime with Maverick, quite a toss up. They both sound like excellant companies though, especially for starting out.
Don't necessarily assume you'll be longhaul. Call your recruiter and ask about future or current dedicated opportunities within your area or if you're within a certain range of the hiring line, you may still be able to go Linehaul Regional even though you're outside the line. It should only take a day or two to find out if your application was approved so call and find out.
Good Luck
Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by san415
Hi Fred,
My Husband works at TMC also. Long haul He is in Phoenix right now, getting his 36 hr reset, and he loves it so far. He was a city supervisor in our town, drove part time, for a small company. Has his pension locked up, so decided if TMC took him on he would change careers. He started as a experienced driver at TMC. He is in his 3rd week on his own now. I work at UPS, but don't drive any more, have a cushy job now. When I retire in 8 yrs I am going on the truck with him.
Excellent. Good luck to you both!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
I'll make over $60,000 this year and plan on making more NEXT year.
Fred, is that $60K driving or are you including recruiting efforts also?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Don't necessarily assume you'll be longhaul. Call your recruiter and ask about future or current dedicated opportunities within your area or if you're within a certain range of the hiring line, you may still be able to go Linehaul Regional even though you're outside the line. It should only take a day or two to find out if your application was approved so call and find out.
Good Luck
Thanks for the info He really is leaning strongly toward TMC. Do you know if I can call and check for him, or does he need to call? Right now he has no time during business hours. As far as a recruiter goes I don't know that he has one yet, he submitted it through the school he's going to. You wouldn't happen to know how close to that line you would have to be? We're probably a good 2-3 hours from the looks of it on the little map.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Driving only. I made around $1300 a week OTR and now I'm making "salary" of $1100.00/week running dedicated home daily w/weekends off.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:

Good Luck
Thanks for the info He really is leaning strongly toward TMC. Do you know if I can call and check for him, or does he need to call? Right now he has no time during business hours. As far as a recruiter goes I don't know that he has one yet, he submitted it through the school he's going to. You wouldn't happen to know how close to that line you would have to be? We're probably a good 2-3 hours from the looks of it on the little map.
You can call me Monday ANYTIME day or night or email me. I'll need his First and Last Name and SSN# and I can pull his info. That little map has grown a bit outdated since TMC has been expanding. I'll find out for you based on your exact address as to what's available for him.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Fred gets a relative pittance for anyone he gets into TMC, if anything at all. $60K is not out of the question but you gotta be on your game.

The only reason we say nice things (and sometimes not so nice) about TMC is that they are a good company. I have seen many Roehl, Prime, McElroy, Kennedy, and Arrow drivers that wished they knew more about their companies before they signed up. It's not like you "can't go wrong" with TMC but you have a better chance of success.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.