User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick

Well I have signed up to attend the Maverick CDL school.They said it would be a month or 2 wait.I researched alot of companies on this site before making my choice.This is a great website.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:07 AM

yep..... lots of widom out there. BOL
Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Board Regular

I will have to say that they stand behind what they say. I have had the best time with Maverick so far. Its hard work but worth it.

US VETERAN
Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Board Regular

Why haven't you updated your blog, skills? I've noticed the last entry was April 26th; have you been that busy, or just lost interest in keeping it updated?

Edit: Nevermind, I just now checked it and noticed it was updated a bit.

Good luck, man.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM

[quote="skills"]I will have to say that they stand behind what they say. I have had the best time with Maverick so far. Its hard work but worth it.

The people at Maverick are top notch in my book.I had the opportunity to attend their orientation and what Skills said is 100% correct.The instructors there are outstanding,very professional.They want their drivers to succeed without a doubt.The owner of Maverick is also very personable and the entire staff below him are also.The employees there seem like they are happy to be employed there and they treat their fellow employees with respect on a first name basis.The owner Steve Williams is very passionate about changing the trucking industry for the the better.
I decided that flat bedding was not for me.I am not gonna sit here and lie about the reason why either.It was just too much work for myself.When I went and talked to the guy in charge of the instructors (Curt V.) about leaving he was more disappointed that they were gonna lose a good candidate to work for them.He asked his instructors each day,from day one,which guys were Mavericks and he told me had no bad reports about myself at all,just good.I had the opportunity to talk to him in his office for at least 45 minutes about the trucking industry and life.And I left Maverick with a positive outlook on trucking and life in general.Guys like Curt do not come a dime a dozen,very caring and willing to take time out of his day to talk to me.And I left there knowing that there are good people in this industry that do care.These guys at Maverick are top notch!!!! When I drove out the gate when I left I was shedding a tear or two because I knew that I just passed up the chance to work for some good folks.
So if anyone is wanting to get some good training and work for some outstanding people that care about you as a driver and as a human being, Maverick is the place to be.Take care!!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Rookie

Glad to hear you are enjoying it ,skills.

Thanks for the reply USMC Vet.It looks like I have chosen a good company.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Board Regular

I can honestly say that mavrick is just as good a company as TMC or any other company... Flatbedding takes a person with good mental and physical ability. what other job do you know that you can get up in the morning all fresh and clean and in the course of two hrs ya look like ya just crawled out of a mud hole...

Mavrick, I see quite often, since we run out of the same shippers. I know at one time Mavrick was in finicial trouble but a good friend of the owner of Mavrick stepped in and helped him out.

BOL to all

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

Hey guys, I'm interested in the Maverick training myself. I've run across the blog by "skills" over on TN and have a question about something.

Quote:
After that we had to go through Mavericks fit test and let me tell you, it is no joy ride. They have you do all these stretch tests and lift tests. Then after you do that, you have to take a 140 pound tarp and pick it up off the ground and set it on the trailer. You didn't do that once but had to do it twice. After that we had to jump onto the trailer and jump on a box that was around 5' 6". That was fun.
I would like to hear some clarification on this. I'll be the first to tell you that when I was 18 y/o jumping onto a 5'6" tall box wouldn't have been a problem, but at 40 y/o ( and a few more pounds), I don't think I wanna be a part of that. Is this for real? or am I reading more into this than is actually the case. I realize being able to "climb" onto the trailer and possibly onto the freight is going to be a necessity, but it seems that "jumping" onto and off the trailer and/or the freight is an accident waiting to happen.

Can anyone elaborate on this subject?

Thanks, Arky
Old 07-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Board Icon

I was also wondering about that, good chance of breaking an ankle just by landing wrong by a millimeter and having your ankle roll the wrong way. Also wondering about the tarp weight, I've been told 90 lb tarps but 140?? If you can lift that on your trailer, you might as well load your own trailer by hand then, why wait for a lift??
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Physical abilities

I agree with Mr. Ford...I also am wondering about tarp weight that you quoted. 140 lbs is a very heavy tarp. Are you sure there is not a body rolled up in it? The heaviest lumber tarp I ever lifted was 90-100 lbs. And as far as jumping on or off the trailer....It's a definite no-no. We were taught the first day of training that never jump down from the deck to the ground. Either walk off the front to the catwalk, or use FCC bumper on the back. If you have side boxes you can also step on them to get down.