User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It is amazing that people will take loads to California for $1.11/mile. They could very likely come out with the same rate, if that. Some carriers and owner operators are running scared right now. They are making a mistake of taking these cheap loads which are unprofitable thinking they can outrun the bill collectors. That is one reason there will be so many who fail. You can't run for free forever. Carriers need to value their service. Unless you place a value on your services then you cannot expect anyone else to do so.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
What kind of rate did you get going into FL? It is very unrealistic to expect 2.00 a mile when there are more trucks available than loads. Especially in Fl. NC and Sc have some freight but not at a rate worth deadheading for. Neither does Ga. You will still come out to 1.35 a mile or less getting out of Fl UNLESS a broker or shipper calls and needs a load moved at the last minute. 1.11 from FL to Ca. is rediculous,but for some strange reason all loads going into Ca. from anywhere seem to be real cheap. :? There may be some loads from Ga. to Ok for 1.60 or so and than you will end up closer to a better area,like KS. That is why I don't take anything into FL. for under 2.00 a mile depending on the length of haul. The shorter the run the more I charge,otherwise I won't run FL.
I got just under $2.00 a mile and it was under cause I was thinking about something and like a dummy I got on the highway going North instead of South. I caught it right away but that cost me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
About anytime you have an "air pressure sound continue", you have a leak somewhere. Just trace/follow the sound and you will find it. Sometimes it's just a gladhand not seated properly. If you hear it inside the cab, like you did, it's probably behind the dash like it was.
It turned out to be a $5 switch with a bill close to $200. I didn't have to pay but warranty is ending soon so I better start learning things fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is amazing that people will take loads to California for $1.11/mile. They could very likely come out with the same rate, if that. Some carriers and owner operators are running scared right now. They are making a mistake of taking these cheap loads which are unprofitable thinking they can outrun the bill collectors. That is one reason there will be so many who fail. You can't run for free forever. Carriers need to value their service. Unless you place a value on your services then you cannot expect anyone else to do so.
Ch called me on a load from Claxton, Ga to California for LESS then $1 a mile. I told him my truck doesn't take those loads. He asked what would it take and I told him we aren't close so I won't waste his time. Actually I would have quoted him what I wanted but I got a load anyway. I'm going to Detroit, MI for about $1.40 a mile and in my limited experience here I think I will have a much better chance of coming out of there for better money.

The company I am taking this load from has a 100 rating on GetLoaded but I called D&S factors to see anyway and they said they would not factor them. I then called RTS and they said they would, I mean they have a 100 rating so I will go with them.

I want to get back to Florida though; I want to start working on those customers I am getting down there. Some guy called today on a load to Deerfield Beach which is my neck of the woods, but I told him $2.20 a mile and he said no. I was waiting to see if he would offer something close but he didn't. I was going to say "what can you do"? but that smacks of desperation.

Believe me, I have 6 months into this, and only a few on my own and sometimes I say "what did I get myself into?" but nothing goes as planned at first. I have the truck, I am in a brutal environment right now (we all are) and I am surviving and learning so I am still hopefull.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I long for the days when as a company driver they sent me the load and I just drove, but I could never do that again. This is a very very good feeling being on my own. As a company driver or working for somebody you are only going to go as high as they allow you too. I set my own boundries now and I like that feeling.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

When are you emptying in Detroit? We're delivering in Toledo Monday and leaving Detroit either Monday or Tuesday.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
When are you emptying in Detroit? We're delivering in Toledo Monday and leaving Detroit either Monday or Tuesday.
I deliver Monday morning in Detroit. Weather is looking bad I think I should have held out for more. What to do what to do? If you end up in Detroit on Monday give me a call if you'd like. Hoping to get out in with a good rate.

I am picking up fresh chicken. They told me to set the reefer at 26 which is obviously below 32, so slightly frozen. You think it is alright to set on start stop?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Senior Board Member

It's probably fresh chicken packed in ice. I'd run it on start/stop but it's not a recommendation :wink:

The weather is supposed to clear up by the time I roll in there Monday morning and be decent for a few days. I'm coming from the West and other than a few light snow showers and some bitter cold in WY, it doesn't look too bad. Now, if my shipper doesn't get a move on, the storm on my tail tonight is going to catch me and it won't be near so pleasant. It does look like you'll have a fun ride up :lol: Ahh, the joys of driving in the Winter :lol: We probably won't get up to Detroit until the afternoon, but if you're around I'll buzz ya.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I deliver Monday morning in Detroit. Weather is looking bad I think I should have held out for more. What to do what to do? If you end up in Detroit on Monday give me a call if you'd like. Hoping to get out in with a good rate.
If the storm is bad the load:truck ratio might get out of whack and you may get a good rate. Last year I remember a storm in Buffalo and the load boards were:

Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo
Old 12-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

merrick are you coming up 77 into Ohio to get to Michigan?

If you are let me know I am doing some local work in Parkersburg,WV this weekend right of one of the exits,I will buy breakfast/dinner.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
merrick are you coming up 77 into Ohio to get to Michigan?

If you are let me know I am doing some local work in Parkersburg,WV this weekend right of one of the exits,I will buy breakfast/dinner.
Hey Mike yes I did come up 77. Actually I stopped for the night at the border of NC and VA, had no signal and just stopped now (in Toledo) but I truly appreciate the offer; it would have been nice to have met you.

I ended up getting off 77 in Ohio at exit 87 I think it was and took 250 to 20 up to 280. It was shorter, avoided the toll road and I don't have that much experience driving a truck in the snow and didn't want people flying up behind me or pulling in front of me so I just took my time on the 250. This winter driving is something else. I've said it before, Sonny deserves a medal for doing this for 28 years in the Northeast.

Apparently this chicken I'm hauling is heading to Canada, I don't know why a Canadian truck didn't take it. I was reading recently that we get a lot of food from Canada; I had no idea.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

We get food from Canada because of the Mad Chicken Disease here in the US.
Drive safe Merrick, Its been a while since I drove in the snow/ice, but if you take your time,..all will be fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
It's probably fresh chicken packed in ice. I'd run it on start/stop but it's not a recommendation :wink:

The weather is supposed to clear up by the time I roll in there Monday morning and be decent for a few days. I'm coming from the West and other than a few light snow showers and some bitter cold in WY, it doesn't look too bad. Now, if my shipper doesn't get a move on, the storm on my tail tonight is going to catch me and it won't be near so pleasant. It does look like you'll have a fun ride up :lol: Ahh, the joys of driving in the Winter :lol: We probably won't get up to Detroit until the afternoon, but if you're around I'll buzz ya.
Hey no_worries, I was looking at the setting on the reefer and I noticed that by default the out of range to kick back before the minimum off time was set at 11 degrees. Seems a lot to me any idea on why they put it so much? I put it at an out of range of 4 degrees and left it on start/stop til this morning then with these freezing cold I just put it on continous, it was making me nervous.

Does seem like start/stop would be ok as this is all wrapped up so it's not like produce that needs air flowing around it all the time. But what do I know?

Does look like you will miss the brunt of this storm, glad for that. Plenty of space at the truck stops in Perrysburg.

Doghouse, yeah I go slow you can believe that. Probably even you who claims to drive like a turtle would probably be pissed behind me

Tags
read