User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Other than that the rates are what they are. I did sit waiting on better but in the end I know nothing about trucking and have only been doing this a few months so I guess I'm doing ok.
The law of supply and demand. 400 truckers going after 20 loads = 'going rate.'

You have to LOVE trucking (and pay to play) or go sell newspapers.

I'd rather 'pay and play' (ouch!).

Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You either need to scale that picture down or fix the hanging wires with duct tape stuck on and the head light bezel that's missing.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon
Quote:
Other than that the rates are what they are. I did sit waiting on better but in the end I know nothing about trucking and have only been doing this a few months so I guess I'm doing ok.
The law of supply and demand. 400 truckers going after 20 loads = 'going rate.'

You have to LOVE trucking (and pay to play) or go sell newspapers.

I'd rather 'pay and play' (ouch!).

I think most the American Truckers would do what is needed to keep the rates cpm up enough so you could live but I am sure their are alot of other truckers who will take the low cpm and are happy with it. They probably have their whole family riding with them.

What does the new mexican highway do for the rates and trucking business in general.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Basically, the American taxpayers will pay for a highway that we will not be able to use, which will take money and jobs from U.S. citizens. Speaking of highways, Oregon is experimenting with charging people by the mile to use the highways. Apparently, other states are looking at the same thing. There is plenty of money collected at the pump to repair roads. The problem is misappropriating funds from the highways and using them for pet projects. Time to investigate these elected officials and start reducing their salaries and throwing them in prison for diverting public funds.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Basically, the American taxpayers will pay for a highway that we will not be able to use, which will take money and jobs from U.S. citizens. Speaking of highways, Oregon is experimenting with charging people by the mile to use the highways. Apparently, other states are looking at the same thing. There is plenty of money collected at the pump to repair roads. The problem is misappropriating funds from the highways and using them for pet projects. Time to investigate these elected officials and start reducing their salaries and throwing them in prison for diverting public funds.

AMEN!! Pastor gman
Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
You either need to scale that picture down or fix the hanging wires with duct tape stuck on and the head light bezel that's missing.
Sorry guys. Resized the pix, but gbtrucker's quote is causing the original problem. I'd appreciate it if gbtrucker could 're-quote' (edit quote).

Steve I've resized the pix BUT CANNOT remove the nigirian-rigging as the bailing wire is holding BOTH the headlight assembly AND the hood hinge. :P

Happy Thanksgiving day!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry guys. Resized the pix, but gbtrucker's quote is causing the original problem. I'd appreciate it if gbtrucker could 're-quote' (edit quote).

Steve I've resized the pix BUT CANNOT remove the nigirian-rigging as the bailing wire is holding BOTH the headlight assembly AND the hood hinge. :P

Happy Thanksgiving day!

Why would my quote make your pix bigger. You need to move your pix someplace else maybe.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
LOL
What is he driving a Ford?
I got some Duct tape I can spare

$100,000 Truck and Bailing Wire

LOL
Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Well still at home. The truck got out of the shop today and the tire pressure equalizer things should be in tomorrow. I need to see the accountant tomorrow but I put most of it together and I am not happy with what I am seeing.

My first load was at the end of July and I had the issue with the fifth wheel so I was down for a little but I have billed a total of $60,909 just for the loads (a little bit more for TONU, detention etc) and have spent $20,192 on fuel for truck and $2,500 for reefer fuel (That actually wasn't so bad). So that means a full 1/3 of my revenue goes to fuel. Is this what is customary? Anyone know what a big company pays as a percentage of their overall revenue for fuel?

You know they say most business aren't profitable until after two years but I think trucking is a little bit different. Of course it does take time to build up a good client base and find a niche but I mean you buy a truck and log on to the load boards and negotiate a good rate.

A lot of my expenses were stuff setting up the truck. $200 for a fridge and the other million things that are needed to get things going. I'm hoping next year is better as I will have a lower insurance rate when I get 2 years on my license. Also no dispatch fee (unless GMAN will take me on ) and I have what I need for the truck. Also I have included things like I would have had anyway. My cell bill (and aircard) is like $250 a month but it was that amount before I started considering it a business expense (family plan with 4 phones)

Also up front you have to pay for licenses and permits so for the rest of the year it should be more profit (hoping no major breakdown). I have no idea whatsoever how people get into this with no money.

The good thing is the freedom the we as O/O have which is invaluable. I can't tell you how many people tell me they want to come with me. Of course it's all attitude and two people could take the same trip and one could bitch the whole way and the next one love it. By that I mean when people ask me how's it going I always have a positive comment (except I say I hate the cold). I was talking with a CPA today and he was telling me that he detests being in an office and would love to go with me on a trip.

Of course he's got the house and the kids and all the other things which won't allow him to get up and quit. The same could be said out here though if you need to take cheap freight to make the truck payment then that's not being free either.

In the end even with fuel the way it is, I think there is money to be made out here. If nothing else I think it is a good stepping stone to move onto something else.

Tags
read