CHR
RMX
RFX
HM Bay
it will probably take you all day to do this
These are some of the basic frozen brokers
If you want to run your ltl butt off and make $$$$$$$$$$$$$
kiss H/M bays butt

SAy been doing this Sonney.....ummm having probs finding contact Info tho for HM Bay......any one help plz?

N TQL says they wont set-up ahead of time anymore :-p have to accept a load ahead of time :-p
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

HM BAY is reefer only

A Pavlovian response?
You mean you start singing opera?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
A Pavlovian response?
Pavlov's experiment with the dogs. Conditioning theory or something like that. I see the fuel pumps and my brain is now conditioned to see pain as I know a hit in the pocket is coming.

Gman, if you don't go to the TA, where do you get your PM's done? I know you live in TN so I would guess it's easier for you to get home. As I live in South Florida I don't plan on going home for a while, so I was just going to use the TA. Any other suggestions?

As for the mechanic, there is a shop I can go to but they are small and I didn't think they had the pump to flush the coolant. The guy I'm working with told me next time I head to a shop to just call him and he'll go over it with me.

Sup, I went to Pompano as I live up the road from there. I bought the truck in Miami and they were very nice to me down there but I can't get home so easy. I could take the Tri-Rail but that is a pain. From Pompano I can basically walk home or catch a quick bus.

Pepe what ever happened with that deal you had where you were going to pay a broker to keep you loaded? I think so far this is working out good for me of course the guy isn't a broker but has his own trucks. That stuff with a lumper is something else. I don't even fill out the contracts, they do all that for me, the only paperwork I do is send my invoice. Of course I wouldn't mind doing more. I think the dispatcher was like let him take care of everything which doesn't work for me. I rather do things myself. So like I just got detention time, usually he would call up, but I just did it myself.

Today I was thinking that this trucking must have been something else in the early days. It was so hot outside today I was under the APU vent. Probably when GMAN started they didn't even have AC in the truck (not saying you are that old GMAN :wink: ) and with no cell phone but having to look for pay phones and how did people get signed up with brokers if they didn't have a fax in the truck? I know fuel is a lot higher in proportion to everything, but it seems like it would be easier to make money now as it's easier to find loads via loadboards. Of course more competition looking on the same loadboards too.

Hey Steve, where did you get those cross fire fittings you were talking about for the tires? I can't seem to find them.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Merrick, there are several options other than TA for oil changes. Speedco, Petro, other independent oil change shops. There are also independent garages and truck stops. The independents will usually do a better job and charge less than the big chains, anyway. There are a lot of Speedco's around the country. Most can do an oil analysis on the spot. If you don't want to pay the shop fee, just ask them if they charge one before the work starts. If they say "yes" you an walk. The shop fee will usually ad about 6% to the price. I will walk if they charge the fee. I usually have my oil changed at a near by truck stop. They normally charge me less than $200. Some shops charge upwards of $300 now.

By the way, we didn't have air conditioning in most trucks when I started. In fact, not all cars had air conditioning. Many had doghouses in them and we didn't really need heat in the trucks in summer. Power steering meant that you had big biceps to turn the steering wheel. In some ways it is easier to do business today. In other ways it was easier when I first started. Not everyone could get their authority. It is certainly easier to stay in touch with companies, brokers and family. Checking out brokers and shippers is much easier today.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks GMAN. I'm sure as I spend more time out here I will find the little shops and more things in general. I see the Speedco's but I read recently in one of these threads that their oil analysis isn't as good as sending it to the lab. I'll look for the shop fee too. You know for old timers or people that have been around these things pop up and you know that it is BS. But for the new guys, I mean I thought shop fees were the norm. It's like any change really, the people that see it happen fight it and the one's that come after don't know any better.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I ordered the crossfires from www.iowa80.com.

Here is a link to the page.

http://www.iowa80.com/iowa80/shop?me...tid=TIRE-EQUAL
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Board Regular

Years ago you dropped by the brokers office to sign papers, usually located in the back of a truckstop.

When I started there was, for me anyway, NO:

A/C
Cell phones
Power steering
ATM's/online banking
Email/internet
Fax
AM/FM radio (first few tractors)
private showers in truckstops
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158

You need to make those arraignments ahead of time and put on the rate agreement.--YEAh I said OOIDA told me that 1 on the phone, man when your out there things get going so fast that sometimes I dont check the agreement till after I pick up the load....n sometimes they pull a fast 1 :P
OOIDA was clear not to even move the load n till Ive looked it over with a microscope :-p yeah I need work there!
So being I am so green tho my big prob is what do I do when I screwed that part up?.....been finding out tho when push comes to shove their really running a racket that mostly depends on the consignee calling the company and getting the driver fired......beeen there done that, learned I have to kiss their butt as a Co driver the hard way. (yeah I wana be a CO driver again :-p)
[/quote]

Pepe, you need to slow down long enough to take care of the paperwork. You are running your authority now. You are in business. It is up to you to make sure the paperwork agrees with what you agreed to on the telephone. There are VERY few brokers or shippers with whom I have dealt that I won't wait for the paperwork and make sure everything is right before I move my truck. If something isn't as agreed, either the paperwork is changed to reflect our agreement, or someone else can take the load. If you are going to be successful running your authority, there are some things which you MUST do, such as making sure the paperwork is correct. If you don't want to deal with the paperwork, you may as well go back to being a company driver.

I read over every contract that a broker sends me. If there is something which is in the contract that I don't agree, I mark through it or add my own wording and initial it. I don't sign anything which has provisions for penalties or fines. Some will include those on the confirmation order. I mark through them before signing and sending it back. Some will have provisions for fines or charging back a fee for being late, etc., regardless of a natural disaster or break down, whether there was a problem with the receiver or not. If you don't carefully read the confirmation order, you could wind up losing money unnecessarily.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158

You need to make those arraignments ahead of time and put on the rate agreement.--YEAh I said OOIDA told me that 1 on the phone, man when your out there things get going so fast that sometimes I dont check the agreement till after I pick up the load....n sometimes they pull a fast 1 :P
OOIDA was clear not to even move the load n till Ive looked it over with a microscope :-p yeah I need work there!
So being I am so green tho my big prob is what do I do when I screwed that part up?.....been finding out tho when push comes to shove their really running a racket that mostly depends on the consignee calling the company and getting the driver fired......beeen there done that, learned I have to kiss their butt as a Co driver the hard way. (yeah I wana be a CO driver again :-p)

Pepe, you need to slow down long enough to take care of the paperwork. You are running your authority now. You are in business. It is up to you to make sure the paperwork agrees with what you agreed to on the telephone. There are VERY few brokers or shippers with whom I have dealt that I won't wait for the paperwork and make sure everything is right before I move my truck. If something isn't as agreed, either the paperwork is changed to reflect our agreement, or someone else can take the load. If you are going to be successful running your authority, there are some things which you MUST do, such as making sure the paperwork is correct. If you don't want to deal with the paperwork, you may as well go back to being a company driver.

I read over every contract that a broker sends me. If there is something which is in the contract that I don't agree, I mark through it or add my own wording and initial it. I don't sign anything which has provisions for penalties or fines. Some will include those on the confirmation order. I mark through them before signing and sending it back. Some will have provisions for fines or charging back a fee for being late, etc., regardless of a natural disaster or break down, whether there was a problem with the receiver or not. If you don't carefully read the confirmation order, you could wind up losing money unnecessarily.[/quote]

agree 100% Funny way to seperate the shady n unshady is the shisters all try to bum rush you.....the more scrupulous are willing to wait, finding that out the hard way
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
A Pavlovian response?

Pepe what ever happened with that deal you had where you were going to pay a broker to keep you loaded? I think so far this is working out good for me of course the guy isn't a broker but has his own trucks. That stuff with a lumper is something else. I don't even fill out the contracts, they do all that for me, the only paperwork I do is send my invoice. Of course I wouldn't mind doing more. I think the dispatcher was like let him take care of everything which doesn't work for me. I rather do things myself. So like I just got detention time, usually he would call up, but I just did it myself.

Yeah didnt do it, but may end up regreting that, wanted to try and learn all these lessons myself and its been the school of hard-knocks for sure.

Tags
read