User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
I read this and think back to the first business I started. 35 years later and it's the same problems. Won't say that you will ever get used to it, just get a more jaded view of things. I do think that the general attitude of employees is far worse now than back then.

Know I said it before, booze helps
I tried the booze, I never drank in my life either. But then I gained weight (more then ever in my life; I have always been fit) and that's what got me back into the gym and I lost my weight wicked fast but all this injuries that I probably had came to light (I was on steroids as a teen and off and on always training very hard). I just had a hernia operation two days ago. Anyway no more drinking but what works for me is Xan... you know.

This is definitely jading me. I've seen a lot in life too, a real lot. But I was never responsible for anyone but myself. Now I have like 50 employees. They all look to me for the answers to everything. I walk in the other day to the office and the internet and server was down. I walk back and something fell and it was all just unplugged. I mean good lord do I really have to fix that too.

I don't know, I have a good business model, I need to keep this going and find competent hands and do something else. I'm not spending the rest of my life in something I don't like. I could get real big then accidents and claims are par for the course, but like I said I have a good solid core of drivers and I like having an open door policy for them.

I don't know, I'm only 42, well 43 in a week or so, I still have my whole life ahead of me. Who knows the future.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a customer whom I am fairly good friends with, family owned with 300+ employees. When I feel the need to relax I go see them and just sit in the office and listen to all that happens. Puts my problems in perspective.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

How many drivers do you have now?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
How many drivers do you have now?
In the low 40's but we made some changes and will be resuming hiring again. Why I don't know. I just signed for 10 more trailers and need more trucks. Again why I don't stop I don't know. I guess you would understand more than anyone. Well maybe not. You don't realize the culture up there until you leave. But the pace is very fast and I'm hyper as it is.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
I have a customer whom I am fairly good friends with, family owned with 300+ employees. When I feel the need to relax I go see them and just sit in the office and listen to all that happens. Puts my problems in perspective.

I believe you. I don't delude myself that any business is easy. My wife just switched jobs and there are two partners and now her and one other. One of the owners loves the industry they are in (as does my wife), they just hate the clients (it is a consulting business) and these are people that are of very high net worth. But sometimes those people have generational wealth, others maybe smart in one sense and stupid in another. I don't know.

By the way I am using that lawyer again up in your state on one of these theft claims. This guy is a miracle worker. It's not looking so good for them. I don't understand it all but as you know the Carmack amendment works against us but this company that is claiming us on their own contract limited our exposure. The adjuster who was useless is gone and the insurance company is now letting the lawyer handle the claim.

Last edited by merrick4; 08-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Rookie
Default What a ride!!

First time poster...

What an amazing story, Merrick! THANK YOU for sharing it. I am a 55 yr old business man who has done everything from start a Nationally Chartered bank, built a document scanning company from 8 employees to 150 to owning a large internet service provider and several other things.

My experience that most mirrors yours was my document scanning company. It got to a point where my day was filled with putting out fires. That was all I did. I was always behind on something. I don't get a sense that you're behind on anything you need to do, but I still get a sense that you feel that your company is unwieldy and a hassle.

We grew from 75-80 employees to 140 employees in the course of a year or so. We were able to do that because I hired a guy who was experienced running large factories with 600-900 employees. He knew how to set policies. He knew how to build teams that could develop and implement policies. My stress factor went DOWN, even though we doubled in size.

I think that is what is missing from your company. And let me say, finding that key person isn't easy, but there has to be someone out there who can take the calls that you shouldn't be taking and dealing with the issues that you shouldn't be dealing with. You will be able to grow bigger with an acceptable level of stress.

The reason I am here and the reason why I read this entire thread is I am considering getting started in the trucking business. I have meetings with FedEx today to discuss some programs they have available. Based on what I'm reading, I'm not likely to start there, but I wanted to have the conversation with them.

Great stuff Merrick and I wish you well as you go forward.

Texan59
Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Finished my meeting with FedEx yesterday. They have a lot of opportunities for teams here in DFW, but it appears that there is a major shortage of drivers. I could buy a truck no problem, but I would be worried about being able to hire a team.

Merrick, would it be possible to communicate with you offline, either by email or by phone? I tried to private message you, but as a new forum member, I don't think I have those privileges.

Thanks,

Texan59
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Good luck on him responding back... I sent him a pm 4 yrs ago and no response back... Still waiting lol
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to post 25 posts before you can pm. At least I think it is still 25. Merrick does check in regularly. I have had drivers and can tell you that they are your greatest asset and worst nightmare. If you get a good one, you do what you can to keep him. There is still a high turnover for drivers in this industry, but it is down from a few years ago. It was around 136%. I read somewhere that is is down to 76%. It is still high, but half what is was a few years ago. There are a lot of drivers in your neck of the woods. Recruiting is usually a continuing struggle for most who own trucks. I have had some success using the state employment office. I will add something else. Contrary to what you may be reading about driver shortage, I don't see it. We are told there is a shortage of 20,000 drivers. That is less than 1% of the total drivers in the nation. We have between 3-5 million drivers in this country. Having a shortage of 20,000 is not a shortage. The situation is complicated by the CSA and some of the nonsense we see coming out of Washington. Some of the more experience and best drivers are retiring of finding other things to do. This is likely to create a real shortage in the next decade. Since you sound as though you want to lease your trucks to another carrier rather than get your own authority, you might want to look at other carriers than FedEx. Most will help you find qualified drivers to fill your seats. I have had trucks leased to other carriers and my experience has been mixed. Either way, you can expect to have driver turnover. It is an unfortunate cost of doing business. Good luck to you, texan59
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Rookie

GMAN-

Thank you very kindly for your reply. It was very helpful. My background is in finance / accounting and I *think* I have a handle the cost of operating a tractor for FedEx. The big question mark is drivers. FedEx has several slots available in my area for team units. They have a few solo slots, but they said they will probably get filled by contractors who are already working for FedEx because of the points they have. As I mentioned, in my past, I ran a company with 140+ employees. What made it workable was I had a supervisor who hired and fired and I had a back office do all the paperwork and grunt work. Now, I have a couple employees in another business who can handle the paperwork, but I will be the person responsible for hiring and firing.

I go on Craigslist (for DFW) and I see numerous ads from other FedEx contractors looking for drivers. And, the local linehaul manager told me that there are several contractors' trucks sitting without drivers. That doesn't sound good. The only way to fill the seats in my trucks would be to pay more or structure it differently and that cuts into the bottom line. It is supply and demand. Right now, for FedEx linehaul drivers in DFW, the demand is greater than the supply.

I enjoy the trucking business and drove a flatbed 18 wheeler many, many moons ago for my parents' company. If I go in this direction, I would go to truck driving school, get my CDL and be a relief driver.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to attract good driving teams, I would love the input.

Tags
read