Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 94950515253545556575859
Results 1,161 to 1,178 of 1178

Thread: Well I made it out

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

People seem to have lost their common sense and ability to think critically. It amazes me when I hear them discuss important issues with such ignorance. When I grew up we knew what was going on in the world at an early age. We actually LEARNED in school. I am greatly saddened by how this country has changed in such a short time. Never would I have thought that Americans would be so open to communism and perversion. This is a much different country than I remember. Most people no longer question what is reported in the news. People don't seem to question politicians who are obviously lying. No longer is corruption closeted. Christians and Jews are openly being targeted and attacked by mainstream media and politicians. We have really lost our moral compass. This country is being taken over and most don't even realize what is happening.

solo379 is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
    Thank you Solo.
    You are very welcome! I came here in 1992, and even in a such short time, i could see a drastic changes. Well, all we can do, it's hold our ground, no matter what everybody else does. May be some will follow!
    Pessimist,- is just well informed optimist!

merrick4 is offline Senior Board Member

Been one thing after another. So I am moving to Penske. I touched some nerves over at Ryder. Surprising how sensitive these big corporate people are. But either way they are getting out of the insurance market. I've had it real good with their insurance. I just had to go on the open market and I'm paying $20,000 more a month. Makes me kind of nauseous. I need to get a terminal out of South Florida. Nobody wants to touch companies down here. I was going to hire a salesman too but now I need to see how this plays out. $20,000 a month extra now isn't a walk in the park.

I think we are all in the wrong business. Should have went into insurance or banking. Notice how the two biggest buildings in every city are banks and insurance companies?

Mackman is offline Senior Board Member

I hear ya on the insurance. Its a joke. My insurance man has been telling me for years to get away from the philly area. Cuz my rates are higher cuz im so close to philly. I pay 14,000 a year for 2 trucks. He told me if i was more in the middle of that state it would drop almost 5,000.
    Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Quote Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
    I hear ya on the insurance. Its a joke. My insurance man has been telling me for years to get away from the philly area. Cuz my rates are higher cuz im so close to philly. I pay 14,000 a year for 2 trucks. He told me if i was more in the middle of that state it would drop almost 5,000.
    If you know someone who lives in the middle of the state, perhaps they would allow you to use their address. There are also mail services that offer a street address and issue you a box for your mail. I doubt the cost would be much and it could reduce your insurance costs. It is near time for me to renew my insurance. I kind of dread getting estimates the way I have seen increases the last 2 or 3 years. But, my rates are considerably less than what you pay now, so I guess I should be grateful.

firebird_1252 is offline Senior Board Member

insurance is a joke. being I just incorporated last year they see me as a "new business" even though I kept my DOT/MC #'s. I just renewed last week. it dropped about $4000 a year. i'm at about $11k for 1 truck and 2 trailers. guess it could be worse..

Scottt is offline Board Regular

I renewed last week for $3650. I scanned it and tried to attach it because I know nobody will believe me. I couldn't get it to attach.

solo379 is offline Senior Board Member

Well, you don't have to attach it for prove. Just tell us what's the name of the company, and who is your agent...
    Pessimist,- is just well informed optimist!

Scottt is offline Board Regular

Acuity is the company and Prins Insurance in Sanborn Iowa is the agent.

It is time for me to renew my insurance. My agent no longer works with my current insurance company so I am shopping around. They guy whom I have been working moved to another company. I just got a quote from a new company (Canal) and they quoted a rate about 25% more than I paid last year with Lancer. I just got my loss runs. I have been with the same agent for 8 years and have had zero claims. In fact, I have not had a claim in at least 15 or more years, since I hauled cars. I plan on shopping my business around. There is no reason I should be hit with a high rate. I have a good safety score and clean MVR. It also really gets me when some insurance companies want to pull a credit report just to quote. Even if I had the worst credit possible, it should not impact an insurance quote. Credit, good or bad should not be a consideration when it comes to insurance. All they should need to know is if there have been any claims, whether a driver has a clean MVR and the company has a good safety record. I usually have a number of people contact me when it gets close to renewal time. I have until the first week of August to make a decision. I called my "new" agent contact when he sent this first quote. He asked me what it would take on the rate and I told him that I would be looking at a rate at or less than I paid last year. He will go back to Canal to see if he can get a reduction. I would rather go with a different company.

Maniac is offline Senior Board Member

I would rather go with a different company.

Keep in mind there are only 3 companies that write the actual ins policy........hundreds and hudreds of agents/brokers

Actually there are more than three. I was denied by Canal, Zurich, Occidental, American Alternative, National Indemnity etc

Then they all have sub insurance companies. Basically the agent, unless going direct with the insurance company, all have wholesale people they work with. The whole thing is somewhat complicated.

I think the agent did my right. His info is:

Robert J. Lytle III -

President

2100 Pooler Parkway

P.O. Box 536

Pooler, GA 31322

Office- 912-330-5250

Direct - 912-450-7014

Fax- 912-335-5741

Member - IANA, GMTA, SSTA, PWOF, TRAG, TRPNC

Interline Risk Services, Inc.

He insisted on flying down to personally have me go over the documents. He's a bright guy and has done me right the whole time. Plus I can be an a**. Well let me rephrase that. I don't play around. You tell me you're going to do something I expect it to be done. I don't want things sitting on desks. He's use to my aggressiveness ( I don't curse or anything, I just don't play and I look at things from all angles and like back up plans). But once that is done, he even admitted nobody hears from me. I don't need handholding and go do a lot myself. So once someone realizes how to deal with me, I'm actually a great customer. And I pay my bills on time. Anyway especially Gman I recommend calling him as he's in GA and does well with the Southern States. He's very knowledgeable too.

Had to get in a truck for the first time in a few years. I flew Southwest to St Louis (never flew them before as I usually use Orbitz and apparently they don't advertise on those things) to big up a truck that was damaged and headed straight home. It's been a few years like I said but seems like all the O/O are gone. All I saw were bigger companies. A lot of trucks and considering this downturn I was surprised to see so many.

I didn't bring any food and am funny about that so it wasn't a pleasant trip. But I left St Louis on Monday at 2PM and was back in bed Tuesday night.

Looking hard for a dispatcher or two now and it's not so easy. The job market in Florida is pretty good right now. Also finally opened a brokerage. People have been trying to get me to do that for several years. I never liked the idea but I did it. Now I just need to find the staff.

Thanks for the lead on insurance, Merrick. It can be challenging to find an insurance agent who will work for your business. I like my insurance people, but I still shop my insurance every year. Some wait until the last minute to get with me and that makes it difficult to do business with them.

It is good to hear that things are progressing with you. I think the most challenging aspect to running a business is finding good people who are honest and willing to do their best. Too many just want a paycheck without having to do much for it.

I have not been west of Texas for several years. I think that the reason you see fewer owner operators out west probably has more to do with California and their CARB rules than anything else. Rates are still low on the left coast and some have just gotten tired of fighting it. I have one friend who runs his authority and still runs the left coast due to servicing his direct shipper. Were it not for the business he generates from his shipper, I don't think he would continue servicing California. I have found that I can do better staying in the middle of the country rather than running to California. I can see running the left coast if you pull reefers. For the rest, it is hardly worth the effort.

It is good to hear from you, Merrick. Thanks for the update.

Figured I'd check in. Next year this thread will be 10 years old. I feel like I've aged 30 years. Can't seem to get past the low 40 truck number. It's always one thing or another. I will say humbly I do think we are a good company to work for. A lot of bonuses, free health insurance, dental and vision as well. It's hard to compete for drivers when you have the bigger companies basically saying anything to get you in the door.

This year as you all know has been bad. Probably the first time we will lose money since the day I started. I have all new equipment (leased) and it's not cheap. I have a full office staff to support drivers and customers and again not cheap. Probably I could have gotten out of this with a couple of million two years ago but bad timing; such is life.

I am very fortunate in that a company my size I can take drivers right out of school and train them. We work with one school that is very comprehensive; a 13 week program.

I've tried to venture out into other things but nothing has panned out. I've realized consultants are basically useless. We actually for a relatively small company have some big customers. We are really going to start recruiting heavily soon though we hate that word. Too much like salesman. We've realized that the best place to recruit is "fly over country", that is not on the coasts. They make the same money and it goes a lot further. South Florida has become very expensive. $50,000 here is not much but in Arkansas it goes a long way. Hard workers too.

We are looking to upgrade to Mcleod software but jesus they want $150,000 but it will make things much more efficient. We'd also like to open a terminal somewhere in the Midwest. We've gotten into perishable LTL and it is going well. Profitable loads just hard to time to it all together.

Well that's about all, still kicking it as they say. We still are on paper logs but have elogs in the truck and can flip the switch at any time but we are waiting.

Hope all is well with you all out there.

Scoe is offline Administrator Senior Board Member

Great to hear from you!
    I really appreciate the periodic updates and the display of rugged individualism that can be an inspiration to others...
    "In trucking, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do!!"

mike3fan is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    All indications are that we are heading for another downturn in the economy. The economy is still sick.
    Love this
    "I love college football. It's the only time of year you can walk down the street with a girl in one arm and a blanket in the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." --Duffy Daugherty

mike3fan is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    Things do happen for a reason. This country is in serious trouble, I think more than most realize. I expect to see some major changes in this country during the next year or so, even more than we have already seen.
    Coming up on 3 years and nothing, brilliant.
    "I love college football. It's the only time of year you can walk down the street with a girl in one arm and a blanket in the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." --Duffy Daugherty