User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Actually it was $15.75. Maybe there is a discount for using EZ Pass. Seems like in certain cases it's smarter to use tolls now. I mean 45 miles or 60 miles out of the way is 10 gallons which is about $35 now so if the toll is $20 then it's the toll.

I'm at final stop. First time this happened the kid told me to just tell them I'll lump it myself and he'll do it for half the price. I don't pay for it anyway so I didn't care but he's on it already so if I can get out faster all the better.

This trip from Pickup to final came out to about $2.31 a mile on actual hub miles and with deadhead about $2.05. I'm not gonna lie I had to get off the highway in Tenn and Kentucky about 10 times trying to find an iced coffee. Yes I know that is foolish, but it's the one thing I enjoy everyday. (Hey Mr. GMAN could we speak to someone in your lovely state about starting a new trend ) Seems like every other state Mcdonalds now has the coffee going (Starbucks just posted their first bad quarter and it doesn't surprise me. Mcdonalds coffee is good. Even Jim Kramer made the same comment).

When I get home I need to see an accountant and I will be posting some updated numbers. I also am going to refinance my truck.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Board Member

By the way I am taking the truck into the shop. There are a couple of things I need looked at but as my warranty is ending next month is there anything that anyone can think of that I should have double checked? This warranty has been a big comfort but in truth the truck runs very nicely and so far I'm glad I got this one. It suits my needs.

Oh and I've meant to write that Doghouse was right in the beginning when he said don't be cheap and not get a fridge. I tried the coolers like I had with the company truck but that's not good for staying out here for extened periods. I bought a good size fridge with seperate freezer section at Lowes. I had a bit of a time finding the right inverter but everything works great now. I just need to get a Foreman grill but I eat a lot of frozen dinners which taste pretty good. The ones from Kashi, Healthy Choice etc.

But I have been eating at the buffets a couple of times too. Really with the flying J coupon it's pretty darn cheap and the food is good too. Sometimes just getting out of the truck and sitting in a restuarant does one good. Though I am comfortable in the truck. In Mass my friend gave me the keys to a studio apartment he had next to the shop in one of his houses but I slept in the truck. There's nothing like your own bed even if it's a truck bed.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: http://www.truckloadrate.com:80/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
I have followed Steve for awhile and now enjoying following this thread.
Not having my truck yet and only thinking now that I have my CDL permit would it be to my advantage to play like I have a truck and taking loads, using http://www.truckloadrate.com ?

Be like a Day Trader playing the stock market for fun

Start with my make believe truck and trailer either Van, Reefer or Flatbed and take loads off the load board at prevailing rates.

Just a thought. May be 29 bucks well spent

Arkie
If the site will let you join without authority, go for it. However DO NOT accept any loads!!! You are just lurking and window shopping (playing a game of sorts) those loads are posted for business. Try loadzone.com or trulos.com if you want to see loads for free. Your idea wont give you any good info because you are only seeing cheap backhaul freight.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes. I believe there is a discount for EZ pass. But you have a link know anyway so you can figure it for next time. There are also websites for the NY thruway and the PA Pike.

Most of the tolls aren't too bad, IMO. $17 fro 65 miles is ~.25/mile and that's cheaper than going out of route to avoid the toll. Running I-90 all the way across NY can get pricey tho.

Just be careful if you run your log book close to the wire. The time stamp on your toll receipts will rat you out in an DOT audit.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Actually it was $15.75. Maybe there is a discount for using EZ Pass. Seems like in certain cases it's smarter to use tolls now. I mean 45 miles or 60 miles out of the way is 10 gallons which is about $35 now so if the toll is $20 then it's the toll.

I'm at final stop. First time this happened the kid told me to just tell them I'll lump it myself and he'll do it for half the price. I don't pay for it anyway so I didn't care but he's on it already so if I can get out faster all the better.

This trip from Pickup to final came out to about $2.31 a mile on actual hub miles and with deadhead about $2.05. I'm not gonna lie I had to get off the highway in Tenn and Kentucky about 10 times trying to find an iced coffee. Yes I know that is foolish, but it's the one thing I enjoy everyday. (Hey Mr. GMAN could we speak to someone in your lovely state about starting a new trend ) Seems like every other state Mcdonalds now has the coffee going (Starbucks just posted their first bad quarter and it doesn't surprise me. Mcdonalds coffee is good. Even Jim Kramer made the same comment).

When I get home I need to see an accountant and I will be posting some updated numbers. I also am going to refinance my truck.

About 2 or 3 years ago (it might have been longer) they raised the tolls on some of those roads and then gave a discount if you had EZPass. They really didn't give you anything over what you were paying, but made it easier for them to collect the toll. The only way I take a toll is when there is no other way to get to where I need to go. I just have this thing about double taxation. Call it my little protest.

Merrick, I know a lot of people seem to like iced coffee. Some years ago I tried it before it was fashionable. I don't care for it. Coffee needs to be hot and strong. :wink: I do like iced tea. 8) Actually, there is nothing more relaxing than a good cup of hot tea. By the way, I am glad that you were able to get a good rate on that load.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Gman, try some Tennessee whiskey in your ice tea. It's really relaxing. Forget the ice tea and it's even more relaxing!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Yes. I believe there is a discount for EZ pass. But you have a link know anyway so you can figure it for next time. There are also websites for the NY thruway and the PA Pike.

Most of the tolls aren't too bad, IMO. $17 fro 65 miles is ~.25/mile and that's cheaper than going out of route to avoid the toll. Running I-90 all the way across NY can get pricey tho.

Just be careful if you run your log book close to the wire. The time stamp on your toll receipts will rat you out in an DOT audit.
The problem with those toll websites is they don't work so great if you don't have high speed internet which is most of the case out here.

As for the logs, mine won't match. But I don't get toll receipts and the statements I have only have the dates. It's not that I'm on speed driving 20 hours a day but I go at my pace. I feel that the problem with these logs is they have become an end in itself instead of a means to an end which is to not drive dangerously. I do understand why they have them though and don't have a simple answer as to how to make sure that people don't drive all whacked out.

Thanks for commenting on the rate GMAN. I actually was a little upset with myself thinking I came in too cheap. With fuel the way it is seems like coming into Florida I should have been getting more, but the market is what it is.

So I empty out in West Palm Beach and drop by the house to empty out the truck and then off to the trailer place in Miami. I need to get those lights fixed and I want them to put on the CrossFire things. I wasn't sure which ones to get 105psi or 110. I called my friend and he said 105 and then I recall Allen saying he keeps his tires at 105 so I went with that. It wasn't too expensive either I think like $450 plus whatever they charge to put it on. I know I should have put them on myself but I took the truck around the corner to have the fifth wheel and a couple of other things looked at so now I can leave the trailer in their locked yard.

Pain in the a** this dropping things off. I had to get a ride to the train station and then take a bus to come home. I don't mind public transportation up north but down here, well I just don't like it.

It certainly feels great to be home and the temp outside is about 80. Hey Steve you ever read Howie Carr in the Herald? I can't stand him but he made the comment once to the wife of that Celtic player that died and she keept suing everyone, "how can we miss you if you won't go away". I always think of that. I mean I come home and they go crazy cooking good food for me etc.

Other than that really I don't have much to do. I looked over the last IFTA report that the company did for me and it said I got 6.99 MPG.

I need to call them cause it might have been higher. They told me that the State of Florida doesn't accept more than 7 mpg.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Hey Steve you ever read Howie Carr in the Herald?
No, I was a Boston Globe reader cover to cover and we were all on the verge of nuclear war with every country in the world. When I stopped reading the paper, everything was fine. (Not kidding). Now I watch CNN and filled with stories of deer jumping over police cars and guys giving away Hanna Montana tickets to poor little girls.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Hey Steve you ever read Howie Carr in the Herald?
No, I was a Boston Globe reader cover to cover and we were all on the verge of nuclear war with every country in the world. When I stopped reading the paper, everything was fine. (Not kidding). Now I watch CNN and filled with stories of deer jumping over police cars and guys giving away Hanna Montana tickets to poor little girls.
I miss the Globe. I never really read the Herald either just skimmed through the columns. Of course I can get the Globe online but it isn't the same. I bought the Sunday New York Times the other day in Jersey and it was $4.00! I couldn't believe it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I miss the Globe.
Every Wednesday was Filens womans underwear pull out section!!!

Tags
read