User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Why ban Hank or Mandy Pandy or whatever his latest incarnation was? He was like one of five or six people that posted here.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

He'll be back.
He came back last night under another Big "something" user name, and made 4 posts all attacking GMAN.

I got to see another public banning.
I'd like to see another SWARM banning, like the mods use to do here, back in the day.
Scoe (aka. Vinny Vegas) would also ground and pound someone who got out of line.

​……………………………………….

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Chris, they are both the same person as Big Diesel. He is jealous of those who have made a success out of this business and comes on here from time to time to stir things up. He obviously can't make a success himself, so he tries to trash others who are making it. I am still not sure he is even in this business. He sounds more like a wannabe than a professional trucker. He has told several tales about himself and continues to brag about his success. Successful people don't need to brag and certainly don't feel a need to come on a public forum to trash others.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

He does the same thing at Kevin Rutherford's site too.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Big....."Richard". Must be something personal.....
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Board Icon

….may have had a "little prank" pulled on him one time, he's never gotten over heh heh

Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
….may have had a "little prank" pulled on him one time, he's never gotten over heh heh

bloody americans haha
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Those who have never achieved success assume that those who are successful are either lying about their success or have cheated and stolen their way to the top. They think that others could not have possibly achieved success the honest way. After all, the accuser was not able to achieve success, so they assume others can't be successful. I am very happy for your success, Merrick. I also appreciate your posting about your progress, good and bad. As you know, all businesses have their ups and downs. Things don't always run smoothly. It is how we handle the bumps along the way that makes the difference. Most members come to this and other trucking forums to learn from those who have achieved success. It helps to learn from those who have been there and done that. I hope you continue to prosper and grow your business as much as you want.
Thank you for your kind words GMAN (and others), remember though success is a vague definition. Though I am appreciative of what I have, I have a burning desire to accomplish much more. Also being a father has changed me completely. For me I would say success is making sure she grows up to be a decent human being.

Anyway a lot going on. I hired a new part-time girl today. I'm getting staff heavy and again I don't see how people run over 30 trucks on a few people. But the driver manager/safety person (and also goes to the yard every morning to check on the trucks) I don't need him wasting time standing there scanning logs or the bookkeeper wasting time on filing paperwork.

We also have a policy that if a driver bangs up a piece of equipment they can either pay for the damage or leave. Well one didn't like that today so I guess went in the office cussing up a storm. I wasn't there but he was saying it's not his truck why should he have to pay for it. I guess the question could be, it's not his truck why is he banging it up (especially after he was told not to do what he did). We have drivers calling literally every day though so his truck won't be sitting. Almost always, I fire them they come back in a couple weeks and wanting their jobs back. The way he left, he won't be coming back.

Also we are having a little setback with the intermodal thing. I guess insurance is getting worse and worse. Now I found out that Ryder will only allowing be on the certs only scheduled vehicles not Hired/non-hired. This is a requirement for getting set up with the UIIA. So I might have to set up another company for that. My rep said a lot of people are Ryder customers and always had their own insurance are calling up and inquiring about Ryder's insurance. This might be my chance to try out Penske. One major problem with Ryder, is their RydeSmart system which is basically Teletrac but has the Ryder name. It's a bad system. Penske uses Peoplenet which I had before and loved it.

Then I don't know if you guys saw the article on registering with Carb. We started to register and have that number (I forget what it's called) but I assumed as long as you had a Carb compliant unit you were good. But from what I read each trailer will have to be registered.

I saw a quote from Ronald Regan (I was small when he was in office and don't even follow politics but it's a good quote). If it moves tax it, if it keeps moving regulate it. If it stops subsidize it.

I guess that's how he summed up the government. Seems to ring true.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
We also have a policy that if a driver bangs up a piece of equipment they can either pay for the damage or leave. Well one didn't like that today so I guess went in the office cussing up a storm. I wasn't there but he was saying it's not his truck why should he have to pay for it. I guess the question could be, it's not his truck why is he banging it up (especially after he was told not to do what he did). We have drivers calling literally every day though so his truck won't be sitting. Almost always, I fire them they come back in a couple weeks and wanting their jobs back. The way he left, he won't be coming back.
I used to work for a place that did this. Needless to say they lost some good drivers over dumb stuff. You have to understand **** happens. When you drive day in and day out not everyday is going to be perfect. People will mess up every now and then. Now if the driver messes up on a monthly basis then fire his ass.

I would never pay for damage i did to a company truck. Its a cost of being in business. Now that i own a truck and do have 1 part time guy that helps me here and there. I would never expect him to pay for damage he may cuz. If he messes up alot then i would just fire him.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sure you will figure things out, Merrick. You have to watch about getting too top heavy with labor. It can be a balancing act trying to have enough personnel to get the job done, but not too many as to be inefficient. It can be particularly challenging when you are experiencing rapid growth. Your personnel needs may lack when you experience a growth jump and then you hire someone and then you have more people than you need for a time. I do understand why you would expect drivers to pay for damages. I have no problem having drivers to pay for the deductible if they are negligent. Other than negligence, I would usually just eat the cost. Sometimes, it is just as well to cut your losses and get rid of the problem drivers. You have to find what works in your situation. If you are experiencing high damage, then you will need to find a way to reduce your losses.

I registered my trucks with CARB in California last year in case I decided to run out there. So far, it doesn't appeal to me very much. I am not surprised that you have to register your reefer trailers. That is probably due to the reefer unit. I didn't think you had to register new(er) equipment. I know several owners who have just taken California off their cab cards. I need to renew mine next month so I need to decide whether I want to continue paying them and several other states or cut some of them out until I need them. I added all 48 last year and it only cost about $30 more than it would without all those western communist states. It could come in handy if someone offers me more than I can resist to take a load or two to the communist west coast.

Tags
read