User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
. I was talking with a truck dealer the who works for Freightliner in Miami and he's been in this his whole life (his father sells them too) and he told me he has never seen trucks come back in as repos like they are now. He said they are pouring in. {quote}

Part of it's because of how easy credit was to get the last couple of years. Some of these people shouldn't have had a truck in the first place. Kind of like the mortgage situation.
Well to be honest when I got my truck in June it wasn't so easy. I mean I got it but the interest rate was high. You can always take back a house but fining a truck to repo... But I really don't know.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

There's a difference between "easy to get credit" and "easy to get good credit terms." Unfortunately, most newbies only look at the monthly payment in determining whether they can afford a truck (some don't even go that far). New folks haven't been able to get good terms on trucks, especially used, since banks took a bath in trucking during the last downturn. However, it's plenty easy for a new guy to find financing...at 18% over too long a term :shock: I think that's what Bigmon was referring to.

When I first went to buy my truck, factory ordered, I was offered 2% below their standard for first-time buyers or 13%. I just laughed as I walked out the door :lol: But I learned then that it was going to take some work, even though my credit was great and I was prepared to put down a substantial amount on a high-dollar truck.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="no_worries" However, it's plenty easy for a new guy to find financing...at 18% over too long a term :shock: I think that's what Bigmon was referring to.

That's exactly what I was referring too. Also banks where making a killing on real estate loans so a lot of them wouldn't bother to check and see if they guy was giving bogus financials to get his truck.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Butterball's Garner location will be about 20 mins from my house. Corp HQ with just management, showrooms, historical stuff etc. However I did find this:

"Butterball will maintain its strong presence in Mt. Olive, NC where it operates the largest turkey-processing plant in the world, a state-of-the-art, 65,000-square-foot facility employing more than 2,600 people."

They also have processing plants in AR,CO and MO among other places. And NC has some big pork processing plants too.

Good luck with everything merrick4!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks ncnewbie. A lot of stuff going on there in N.C. I know they are still building Lowes' Corporate Headquarters in Mooresville. Seems like they have been building that for years.

I'll say one thing, I when I am negotiating these rates I pay attention to the miles and the commodity but I need to watch delivery times. I picked up yesterday in Kentucky and don't deliver to my first stop in Florida til Monday then final on Tuesday. They need to be paying for all this sitting too.

Actually I just wanted to get home or I wouldn't have taken it. I notice a lot of trucks post on the area they want to go which I thought you weren't supposed to do. I always post all of U.S. and have to tell the 30 calls to PA that I don't want to go there.

This time I put South Florida and the guy tried to lowball me saying that I want to go home. I told him I have a week to do it so I'm in no hurry (can you sit on your broker load for a week :wink: ). Now that I think of it that's not a bad strategy. Post the area you want to go then tell them you are not in a hurry to get there. Puts you right back on the same level playing field.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I've always found that brokers rarely look at that info, unless they're trying to move it for cheap. I'll post all kinds of info; team, no less than 1000 miles, heading east...invariably I'll get 10 calls offering me a 200 mile load north over the weekend :roll:

They like to ask, "Where's he want to go?" I always reply, "We'll go anywhere, so long as the price is right."

If they do ask if we're trying get back to CA, I just say, "Not particularly, unless you've got something good."

Brokers, always thinking every load is a "backhaul" :lol:
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM

When I click on the "trucks posted" on Internet truckstop, each entry shows the homebase state of the poster. Kind of puts you behind the 8 ball with the broker doesn't it.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Not unless you really are trying to get home and will compromise your rate in order to do so :lol:
Old 11-20-2007, 03:26 AM
Default http://www.truckloadrate.com:80/

I have followed Steve for awhile and now enjoying following this thread.
Not having my truck yet and only thinking now that I have my CDL permit would it be to my advantage to play like I have a truck and taking loads, using http://www.truckloadrate.com ?

Be like a Day Trader playing the stock market for fun

Start with my make believe truck and trailer either Van, Reefer or Flatbed and take loads off the load board at prevailing rates.

Just a thought. May be 29 bucks well spent

Arkie
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
3)Learn the tolls. I still don't know how much the NJ turnpike cost me from NY to exit 7 (where I got off and got on 295) I have to wait until the EZ Pass statement comes in.
$17.25 for 65 miles?

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/Trucks2005.htm

Tags
read