User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They lifted the ban again. This is silly. Anyway things still going all right. I got a good load going into central Florida from NC. It was good cause I got together for a few hours with my brother who lives in NC. Couldn't do that with the company. It was around $2.00 a mile. I'm loving this CH Robinson Quick Pay. Very fast the money in in my checking account.

I ended up getting 5 hours of detention time for that load too which came to $125.00. Better than the $10 I use to get with the company.

Then I got ripped off from the Freightliner dealer in Pompano Beach. I took the thing in cause I wanted the coolant flushed. Also wanted the dessicant air dryer filter changed and a couple of other things as well as the fifth wheel needed to be adjusted. Well to make a long story short they tell me I need a new fifth wheel for $1300. What do I know about this stuff so I called my friend who told me that that was too high. He told me where to get it and told me he'd help me put it on. So I call the dealer back and tell them to forget it. He tells me that it's taken apart and I will be charged two hours.

So back to calling my friend who wanted to know why it was taken apart. I called back again and he starts giving me this whole mechanical breakdown and then asks me if I know what he means. Well no I don't know; I'm not a mechanic. I did get a $100 off the bill but the whole trip was expensive. I'm embarrased to even mention the amount. But it's not over, I faxed the invoice down to the Miami branch and I'm going to get this sorted out. Apparently they are in rip-off mode as during the construction boom or near the end of it, someone got a bright idea of bringing in like 50 dump trucks which they now can't get rid of and are losing their shirts with the interest payments.

The mechanic by the way said I don't need the air dryer filter changed and then charged me $27 for giving me that info. The book says change it at 300,000 miles. I've been told twice now to pull the air release cords in the morning and I don't understand why not at night?

So I am now at 3 weeks as an O/O. In these 3 weeks I've acquired a Pavlovian response to fueling up. I lift the nozzle and the sick feeling comes on. If it wasn't for fuel... well we all know that. I pretty much stay with Flying J as I can just fuel at the pump and I know I'll be getting my cash rebate. I understand the fuel tax thing now and try and plan accordingly. But I guess you can't always go by that either. I'm on the same load as I had in the first place. Miami to Oklahoma with 2 other stops. According to the fuel charts it's cheaper in Texas than Louisiana but I remembered from the first trip that the Flying J in LA. was quite a bit cheaper than the TA in Terrel, Tx. Same fuel tax too.

I need to find a solution to the food issue. I spend like $150 a week and never have food. I don't even eat at the truck stops except for Subway. I'ts like at home I can go to the store and spend a $100 and come home with juice, water and cereal.

I read somewhere that after a while they will start calling you, the brokers that is. They already started, at first I thought it was spam phone calls. Someone called and I didn't hear what company they were from and they asked if I had trucks in the Atlanta area. Then another guy called and asked for dispatch.

I recently read that GMAN said we need to get back to dealing directly with shippers. The guy I work with won't deal with shippers as he says he has problems with them paying.

I'm still trying to decide where in this industry I'd like to go. Where's LoadIt? He said one time to think big. Get a truck and get a warehouse.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate to say it, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. When NC to FL is only paying $2.00/mile, things are ugly. And I know it's not just you, I've been watching the rates...from home.

Your buddy steered you right, $1300 is way to much to replace a 5th-wheel. If you never signed a work order authorizing them to start disassembling your 5th-wheel, you should get some money back. Unless they claim that all they were doing was adjusting the part.

The reason they tell you to drain your tanks in the morning is because as air cools, the moisture condenses. When you drain your tanks, you relieve the pressure but there's still air left in the tank. This air cools overnight and any moisture will have condensed to the sides of the tank. Since this moisture is downstream of the dessicant, when the tank is pressurized, this moisture will be carried into your lines. By draining in the morning, you'll blow out most of the condensation in the tanks. It's not such a big deal in the summer, but in humid climates like the SE you will have more water. Might not be a bad habit to get into.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
I hate to say it, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. When NC to FL is only paying $2.00/mile, things are ugly. And I know it's not just you, I've been watching the rates...from home.
Thanks no_worries and I apologize for not being clearer about the rate. I actually was surprised to find myself on, I mean unblocked, and am a bit tired as last night I was woken up twice and kicked out of one place so I didn't sleep so well. These people act like we are vagabonds or something.

Anyway the load was from Tar Heel, NC to Lakeland, FL. Actual hub miles was 619. I was paid $1800. This comes to $2.90. I had about 333 deadhead miles. Actually more but I won't count that as I went out of the way to see my brother. So that brings it down to $1.95. So that would be a more accurate description of the load.

I did get $100 off the fifth wheel adjustment. They had two hours and they dropped it to one. The coolant flush was $200 and change and there was an oil issue that they charged me $100 for which I should be getting back as I mentioned that before I bought it. The salesman has been a real pleasure to work with. I also had an airbag leak under the cab but that was fixed on warranty. Then of course the $27 for talking me out of changing the air dryer filter. Should have know better than to go to a dealer, but the main thing was I wanted the coolant flushed and the TA doesn't flush them.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Board Member

In response to your question a few posts ago...yes, the rate they offer is usually just a satrting point. You should be prepared to negotiate your asking rate down also...so make your initial offer a little high.

I do have a few brokers that I have dealt with several times...there is very little negotiation here...we are past that stage. They know the rate I want/need and they are prepared to pay it when they call.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I was wondering about the paypal too. So far I like the Quickpay from CH Robinson. 1.5% and the money is in my account within 48 hours.

I've only been out just under two weeks and I think what Pepe said about feeling like a small fish in a big pond sums it up. You know you go through all this big rigamorole setting up everything, I mean I set up a company, with credit cards bank account and tax ID and of course when you are buying equipment they all treat you so nice and then you realize you are just one tiny fish out here. Everyone talks so fast (I'm from the North too and talk very fast myself) and they are saying things that I don't understand. I ask as many questions as possible without showing too much of my ignorance.

In just under two weeks I've billed $6568.40. About $100 was lumper fees. I've spent $2287.07 on truck fuel and $168.77 on reefer fuel. The truck fuel is based on starting out empty and now ready for a next load with 3/4 of a tank full. I've put for mileage on the truck 5159 actual miles. This includes deadhead and driving up the road to get to a Walmart or any other stop I've made. Actually with what I figure it cost to run this truck, I've only made abut $1100. This is bad, but I've made a couple of mistakes, had a load cancelled at the last minute. I'm learning every minute out here and am keeping track of the numbers. This is a business after all and I don't expect to be making a ton in my first a couple of weeks. I need to improve; I will improve. By the way, I'm in Wisconsin right now and this is a good paying area right now so as I'm already figuring my whole two weeks expenses in the above numbers, anything I pull with a load tomorrow will increase the profit numbers.

I should add that the fuel figure is paying with a credit card with cash back so it's small amount less. That cash back is something else. As I put the trailer on a card, I got about $400 back.

Anyway so revenue/miles and I come to $1.27 not good I know I'm working on it. Also I'm wondering when people are quoting their per mile rate as they are in the above O/O vs leasing thread, are they including their deadhead? If I took out deadhead and small personal trips it would be higher of course.

I can't say that in the last two weeks I haven't thought "man what did I go and do" by buying all of this. There is somethig to be said of working for a company and not having too worry about much, but in truth I can't truly be happy like that. I was making $1,000 a week local (after taxes) but I'm seeking something else in life besides a good paycheck. The thing with an O/O is you can go home when you want but in truth if you are a valuable employee you can go home when you want too at least that's how I found it to be. That can be for anything really. Local we were supposed to wear uniforms. I wouldn't but they let me be (I showed up in one and changed in the truck that's all they asked of me) cause the customers I had were happy with my work. They actually said don't send anyone there but me. So if you are a good worker they let you be.
Well what ta hell....if I didnt have all these hassels I'd be just a dumb ol company driver agian....you know what makes it all kinda worth while to me....is when they insist I buy a lumper and I threaten to pull the truck out n go.....n they threaten to call my boss (lol)
Well I am just kinda warped there I quess...I almost lost two company jobs over driver unload issues....n the company would back my point of view???????????? NO way Jose!......now the company will lol!
I polietly inform them I AM the man....n I aint buying a lumper and I WILL just thow their crap on the dock any damn way I choose!....you want it or not? Frankly my dear I could give-a-damn.
I dont say it like that....try to be diplomatic, but I do get the point across.....been lucky so far I quess, when explained the cold hard facts so far both times the consignee caved.....course they dont want me back....n Im just fine with that cuz I was tricked in there with no warning from scum-bag broker what this would be, he said no-touch-freight.
Ive learned a little trick too....when push-comes-to shove they will almost all back down....cuz they are on a time limit of when you enter there facility and leave.
I have had many calls to OIIDA though to have them thoroughly explain what I can n cant do lol....They say about all this should have been in the aggreement beforehand (damn the biggest area I need improvement in. )
But once I do get hosed...what exactly am I accountable for legally (more calls to OIIDA LOL)...I mean its fun to threaten to sell their stuff on a street corner.....witing for them to expect me to lump their TV consols....woo-woo Pepe's big hot TV sale lol
Well cant really do that 1 but this it is my pet peev n I really push the envelope what I can do....i dig my heels in now n finally they see its in their best interest to unload me just to get rid of my ass lol
I am coming to the conclusion that most of this lumpimg crap these guys pull is mostly cuz they are use to dealing with company drivers, where in one call, the company will put their boot up the driver's butt, ....hmmm sorry folks, that doesnt work any more.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hey Merrick, welcome to the club of learn as you go. Just rack it up to experience and you'll do much better the next time. It's pretty much the only way your going to learn. You can have people come in after the fact and tell you this and that but they were not there. I'm sure the next time you have something worked on you'll be a much wiser person and more observant.

Pepe, you have a huge attitude and my prediction is you end up in jail after holding some load as hostage because you refused to pay a lumper fee. You need to make those arraignments ahead of time and put on the rate agreement.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Merrick, if you are not mechanically inclined, it would be good to find a local mechanic, at a smaller shop, who can do some of your work. They are usually more conscientious and charge less. I don't go to the major dealers unless that is the only place where I can get something repaired. I also don't have work done at TA for the reason they charge a "shop fee" in addition to their high hourly rate. Most of the major shops use a book to bill you. If something calls for 10 hours and it only takes 5, they still charge you for 10 hours. It is a rip off, but that is how they do it. Frankly, they may get me once, but not again. I have one local dealer who cost themselves a truck sale because of this over charging. I would expect any garage to charge for their time in diagnosing a problem. I always ask before the work starts about how they charge and how much.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Merrick, do NOT go to the Pomapno Beach Freightliner, they are lazy ....they lie, too. I know 2 people who used to work there, but went somewhere else because the way they work there.
Whenever I call them for parts, they are either busy, no call back, or they don't have it. I call Riviera Beach, they have it and they look it up in their system and it show as available in Pompano.....go figure!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

[quote=

Pepe, you have a huge attitude -lol...ya think?????????

and my prediction is you end up in jail after holding some load as hostage because you refused to pay a lumper fee.--
Not acordding to OOIDA, besides they all ready said if any law enforcement does anything to me illegally they will SUE! (lol)
Ill be a marter for the cause....Pepe wants justice from lying scum-bag brokers lol

You need to make those arraignments ahead of time and put on the rate agreement.--YEAh I said OOIDA told me that 1 on the phone, man when your out there things get going so fast that sometimes I dont check the agreement till after I pick up the load....n sometimes they pull a fast 1 :P
OOIDA was clear not to even move the load n till Ive looked it over with a microscope :-p yeah I need work there!
So being I am so green tho my big prob is what do I do when I screwed that part up?.....been finding out tho when push comes to shove their really running a racket that mostly depends on the consignee calling the company and getting the driver fired......beeen there done that, learned I have to kiss their butt as a Co driver the hard way. (yeah I wana be a CO driver again :-p) [/quote]
Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Pepe,

Put out the phone numbers of the crooked shippers and brokers and we can crank call them.

A can of gasoline and lighter helps on the lumper scam too. :lol:

Tags
read