User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Weather Channel is calling for major snow fall east of the rockies, all the way up into the Great Lakes region. The storm is originating out of the Pacific south of San Diego, so will bring in lot's of moisture. They are calling for 4 to 6" of snow in northern Arizona tomorrow. Heaviest snow fall is supposed to be in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, more than 18 inches, friday and saturday. Another storm, this one orginating out of Alaska is due to hit the central states region on sunday, combining cold with the moisture from the Pacific storm, and generating even more snowfall through out the Rockies sunday and monday.

How does Davis feel about skirting around major weather??

If they are good with it, I suggest taking 97 south to California, I-5 south to Bakersfield, 58 south to Barstow..then decide ....I-40 or I-10 to Texas.

If you decide to come across the northern route, either stay with 90 to Billings, then angle down through Kansas, or beat feet down to Pocotello ID, come across US 30 to Rock Springs WY and on to Cheyenne. Better road crews on that route, even though it is 2-lane, and cuts miles off.

Another route is to drop down I-15 to Spanish Fork UT, take US 6 across Soldiers Summit and drop down to GreenRiver UT, east of GreenRiver UT, drop south on US 191 to Monticello UT, then south on US 491 (old US 666) through Dove Creek CO and Cortez CO..on into farmington Nm, into Bloomfiled Nm, then south on old route 44 to Albuqurque and I-40. This route is about the same mileage as going through Denver, but will skirt you west of the majority of the storm, even though mostly 2-lane road.

Of course...this advise and suggestions, is based on worst case scenerios.

If it doesn't get as bad as WC is calling for..clear sailing down the Eastern Front!!!

Safe Trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmann
I live in Glenwood Springs.....Run line haul from Grand Junction to Denver and back 3 days a week.....They say we're gonna get hammered starting tomorrow around noon into saturday.....1-3 feet,over ice on the I-70 corridor.....Ice storms east of Denver into west Kansas....
boy, you 2 are full of great news aren't you :sad:

The routing Davis gave me (as of now) is as follows: 28, I-90, I-25, I-70, I-135, I-35, I-35W, I-35, 77........if the snow storm is going to be that bad, maybe they will re-route me :?: I'll ask them tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member

DD... I drove that route from Spanish Fork south through Albuquerque, many many times in the late 70's and early 80's, in far worse equipment than what you are driving now. Piece of cake, and surprisingly, it doesn't see as bad of weather as does Central Colorado. It runs just to the west of the Front Range, and only see's bits of the bad weather...mostly because of the desert I think. Plenty of fuel and services along the entire route as well.

Where you headed down there south of Austin??
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Weather Channel is calling for major snow fall east of the rockies, all the way up into the Great Lakes region. The storm is originating out of the Pacific south of San Diego, so will bring in lot's of moisture. They are calling for 4 to 6" of snow in northern Arizona tomorrow. Heaviest snow fall is supposed to be in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, more than 18 inches, friday and saturday. Another storm, this one orginating out of Alaska is due to hit the central states region on sunday, combining cold with the moisture from the Pacific storm, and generating even more snowfall through out the Rockies sunday and monday.

How does Davis feel about skirting around major weather??

If they are good with it, I suggest taking 97 south to California, I-5 south to Bakersfield, 58 south to Barstow..then decide ....I-40 or I-10 to Texas.

If you decide to come across the northern route, either stay with 90 to Billings, then angle down through Kansas, or beat feet down to Pocotello ID, come across US 30 to Rock Springs WY and on to Cheyenne. Better road crews on that route, even though it is 2-lane, and cuts miles off.

Another route is to drop down I-15 to Spanish Fork UT, take US 6 across Soldiers Summit and drop down to GreenRiver UT, east of GreenRiver UT, drop south on US 191 to Monticello UT, then south on US 491 (old US 666) through Dove Creek CO and Cortez CO..on into farmington Nm, into Bloomfiled Nm, then south on old route 44 to Albuqurque and I-40. This route is about the same mileage as going through Denver, but will skirt you west of the majority of the storm, even though mostly 2-lane road.

Of course...this advise and suggestions, is based on worst case scenerios.

If it doesn't get as bad as WC is calling for..clear sailing down the Eastern Front!!!

Safe Trip.
Quote:
I live in Glenwood Springs.....Run line haul from Grand Junction to Denver and back 3 days a week.....They say we're gonna get hammered starting tomorrow around noon into saturday.....1-3 feet,over ice on the I-70 corridor.....Ice storms east of Denver into west Kansas....
boy, you 2 are full of great news aren't you :sad:

The routing Davis gave me (as of now) is as follows: 28, I-90, I-25, I-70, I-135, I-35, I-35W, I-35, 77........if the snow storm is going to be that bad, maybe they will re-route me :?: I'll ask them tomorrow.
The storms coming from the southwest.....You should miss the worst of the snow with your routing......I don't think it'll hit Denver and points east til late afternoon early evening friday.......Hopefully you can get out ahead of it....
Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 AM

They just said,on Denvers NBC 9News,the amount of snow is already down graded for I-70 west of Denver......Now they say 4-8 inches rather than 1-3 feet...That's Eagle,Vail and the Eisenhouer tunnel,at the highest altitudes......Sothern and southwest Colorado has gone from winter storm watch to warning......
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Board Regular

My truck boss called me today and I got the word about Davis going to O/O and Lease Purchase operation. I have to weigh alot of things and decide whether now is the time to start my own business or see what other driving positions are available. I feel Davis will back me up with whatever choice I made, but with only a couple months of current experience my options may be limited. Remember I have 3 and half years driving for Schneider in the 90's, but how much will that count for me now. And I don't want to return to a big outfit now that I experienced Davis first name work environment.

Currently I just deliver a load to Washington DC and I am in North Carolina to pickup a 6 stop load in the morning. I will be headed to Louisana and Texas, so I should be missing all that white stuff up north.

So many things to think about and I must get some sleep. Well, the sleep wins. Night. ZZZzzz.....
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Where you headed down there south of Austin??
I believe it's in Sandow.....I can not find it in the atlas, but on MS Streets & Trips it shows it just NE of Austin.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The storms coming from the southwest.....You should miss the worst of the snow with your routing......I don't think it'll hit Denver and points east til late afternoon early evening friday.......Hopefully you can get out ahead of it....
Unfortunately I doubt I will make it past there by friday as it is friday morning and I am waiting to be loaded here in Wenatchee.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
They just said,on Denvers NBC 9News,the amount of snow is already down graded for I-70 west of Denver......Now they say 4-8 inches rather than 1-3 feet...That's Eagle,Vail and the Eisenhouer tunnel,at the highest altitudes......Sothern and southwest Colorado has gone from winter storm watch to warning......
That's better news....hopefully it will be even better by the time I roll through there.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
That's better news....hopefully it will be even better by the time I roll through there.
Heh.....Now they're talking 8-14 inches by tonight for Vail-Eagle areas....
Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Where ya at DD, and how was the weather..did it treat ya good??