User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
What are the challenges with a 45' spread axle trailer over a 53' sliding tandem? I never pulled a spread, but I understand that there is more scrub and tire wear in tight turns. But, a 53' has the issue of watching for tail swing, the tandem slider can bind and be difficult to operate by yourself(this is where it is real nice to have a team partner), and the tandems are generally rated at 34,000 lbs. A 53' trailer and long wheelbase truck are real fun in an old yard designed for shorter equipment! :shock:

Again, I don't know spread axles, but many trucks have a dump valve to release the airbags on one of the axles(Is it the front, or can both axles be controled?). Does your trainer's truck have this?

How does a spread perform on a narrow and windy road like US20?

These are things I am going to need to learn if I go flatbedding! It is the directions I taking because I was need good a negotiating with lumpers and grocery warehouses! :sad:

So your trainer's truck has a CAT engine. How much power?

Thanks
I don't really know how to discribe it, but the spread is a little challenging. Backing it is different from a 53' box and turns are slightly wider unless you have an air ride with a dump valve like my trainer has. When you dump the air in the rear bags, your pivot point becomes the front axle and thefore making it real easy to turn. It pulls just fine including while on U.S. 20. Just has to watch it close as it will try to track wide on you.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Are you in Madras OR??
Old 07-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow! You guys got lucky! I did not think you would get out until Monday at the soonest. And there are not many places that are open on Saturdays to drop or pick up at in flatbedding.

So I am glad you are on the move again! How many miles is this trip going to be?

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Wow! You guys got lucky! I did not think you would get out until Monday at the soonest. And there are not many places that are open on Saturdays to drop or pick up at in flatbedding.

So I am glad you are on the move again! How many miles is this trip going to be?

Goin Fer It's Wife
DD/GFIW,

This was going to my question. How are you being routed? I checked Google Maps and I get between 1734 and 1821 miles for this trip from Madras, OR to Pella, IA.

I don't want to be annoying because I greatly appreciate your taking the time to keep this journal going. How you are routed is greatly up to Davis and your trainer. Once you have your truck, you will have your own ideas and will learn from experience.

With that said, and with GFI/GFIW help, what is Davis's policy about routing? I know you are paid Practical Miles, so do you have to follow their routing solution 100%? Do they allow your input on how to get somewhere? I am not talking sightseeing or wanting to visit some distant cousin, but there is often more than one way to get to different places. I remember different opinions out there about which way to go(eg. All Interstate, shortest, Avoid the Ike tunnel, Fish Hook Pass vs. going thru Utah, etc.). Personal, I like getting off the Interstate and taking back roads if it reasonable to do.

Well, DD, looks like things are looking up for you. Thought you were going to down for a bit, but dispatch line it up for you and your trainer.

Best of luck
Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Day Ten of OTR Training 07/21/07
We are running a little light with just over 38,000lbs on deck and although today was uneventful, it was yet another beautiful day for driving. We made it to Ft. Bridge, WY and that is where we are shut down for the night. I am learning the ins & outs of flatbedding fairly quickly, however, backing this spread axle is a real bear!! Anyways, after filling my belly and a hot shower, I am about ready to put myself down for the night.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Are you in Madras OR??
I was.....I am now in Ft. Brigde, WY
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It

Goin Fer It's Wife
I am glad too. I think my trainer has a little "pull" as he has been with Davis for over 14 years now.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
DD/GFIW,

This was going to my question. How are you being routed? I checked Google Maps and I get between 1734 and 1821 miles for this trip from Madras, OR to Pella, IA.

I don't want to be annoying because I greatly appreciate your taking the time to keep this journal going. How you are routed is greatly up to Davis and your trainer. Once you have your truck, you will have your own ideas and will learn from experience.

With that said, and with GFI/GFIW help, what is Davis's policy about routing? I know you are paid Practical Miles, so do you have to follow their routing solution 100%? Do they allow your input on how to get somewhere? I am not talking sightseeing or wanting to visit some distant cousin, but there is often more than one way to get to different places. I remember different opinions out there about which way to go(eg. All Interstate, shortest, Avoid the Ike tunnel, Fish Hook Pass vs. going thru Utah, etc.). Personal, I like getting off the Interstate and taking back roads if it reasonable to do.

Well, DD, looks like things are looking up for you. Thought you were going to down for a bit, but dispatch line it up for you and your trainer.

Best of luck
You know, Davis mentioned the name of the program they use but I forgot what it was. It is supposed to be a new thing they are trying. They give us the routing, which believe it or not, it is almost dead on in the most logical way to go. I know my trainer asked once if we could take a secondary road vice the one they gave us and they said sure. One thing that is nice about Davis's routing is that the day you load does not count. So for example, we loaded today and could have sat all day doing nothing if we wanted and still delivered on time. But we, and I believe most Davis drivers, prefer to run the day they load and then take it easy along the way or on the end.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice

You know, Davis mentioned the name of the program they use but I forgot what it was. It is supposed to be a new thing they are trying. They give us the routing, which believe it or not, it is almost dead on in the most logical way to go. I know my trainer asked once if we could take a secondary road vice the one they gave us and they said sure. One thing that is nice about Davis's routing is that the day you load does not count. So for example, we loaded today and could have sat all day doing nothing if we wanted and still delivered on time. But we, and I believe most Davis drivers, prefer to run the day they load and then take it easy along the way or on the end.
DD,

Wow, you are in Ft Bridger tonight!?! You did very well today!

I spoke to GFI on the phone this morning. He was on US212 in SE Montana which is famously known as "Indian Country"(Little Big Horn National Monument). I was surprised because it a shortcut bypassing the I90 Wyoming Loop thou it is a slower road. It answered my question about routing; Davis gives a routing solution, but the driver can choice his own within reasonable limits. I like that flexibility.

Speaking of routing, which way did you go to get from Madras, OR to Ft Bridger? Did you stop for the night at the Old Burns Brothers/TA there at MM30 on I80?

One last question, what is the height on your KW T800 Condo? Not considering load limitations, what are your low clearance restrictions with just the truck? And is it different from Davis's older flat top T800?

Well, fair winds and following seas, Chief!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
DD,

Wow, you are in Ft Bridger tonight!?! You did very well today!

I spoke to GFI on the phone this morning. He was on US212 in SE Montana which is famously known as "Indian Country"(Little Big Horn National Monument). I was surprised because it a shortcut bypassing the I90 Wyoming Loop thou it is a slower road. It answered my question about routing; Davis gives a routing solution, but the driver can choice his own within reasonable limits. I like that flexibility.

Speaking of routing, which way did you go to get from Madras, OR to Ft Bridger? Did you stop for the night at the Old Burns Brothers/TA there at MM30 on I80?
We took 97, 20, & I-84 to I-80 and yes that is the TA we stopped at.

Quote:
One last question, what is the height on your KW T800 Condo? Not considering load limitations, what are your low clearance restrictions with just the truck? And is it different from Davis's older flat top T800?

Well, fair winds and following seas, Chief!
Inside hieght is about 7', and the outside with the smoke stack is about 12' 1". The Condo is really nice. I know that I will get a flat top :sad: to start off with and eventually a Condo

On the routing, our total (including 235 of DH) is 1999 miles. I'll be glad when I can get my own truck and start being paid by the mile.

So when are you going to sign on with Davis? :wink: