User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hi all..

Well I received a call regarding the move to owner operators for Davis. I'm awaiting a list of trucks and a information packet. I was told that this packet would have more detail info. DD and I have spoken about the pros/cons of going owner operator before and I too have been looking into a truck/trailer. I'm still in the early stages of doing this and I still need to have my wife crunch the numbers to see how this will work.

As for my wreck.... I will detail briefly....

A brake hub came out of the southbound lanes as I was driving northbound at 5:30pm. It was dark and I had my headlights on. I saw the hub as it entered the lights coming at me pretty fast. I assume it came off a truck at 55mph and I was doing 55mph would mean 110 mph total speed? It was cutting across my lane left to right. I began to turn the steering wheel to the left but only got it turned maybe 1-2 inches when contact was made. It felt like the truck went off a ramp. I saw the front of the hood go up, a loud bang a big, cloud of dust and the steering wheel jerking to the right. This all happen within a second. The next thing I remember is the ground to my left, the ground above me then the ground to my left again. I remember thinking if this is when I was going to loose my head, if it was going to hurt, would it just go black and what it would feel like. I remember leaning towards the passenger seat trying to get away from the ground. I remember the ground tugging at my shirt and my head sliding across the grass. I remember the grass hitting my left ear. I remember the damn seat trying push me out of the truck. I remember thinking why the ground was above me when I was still holding onto the steering wheel.

I thank God that the fuel tank did not rupture and fuel spill onto me since It all ended with the truck laying on its left side. I remember seeing the headlights and turning off the ignition and then the headlights. I pushed the seatbelt release button about 4-5 times and it wouldn't release. I asked a male who had come running up if he had a knife to cut the belt but it finally released. That's when I found out the steering wheel was down on my left leg. I told the male how to release the tilt which freed me.

The crash was not a result of me turning the truck since I never really had a chance to do so.

As for the aftermath of this I was told to hang out in a hotel room till Davis could figure out what to do with me. I was then told to get a rental car and get home and call in the following monday. I have not been able to see a doctor to look at my shoulder and neck. I was given a list on monday and I made calls till I found a doctor. At that point I contacted Davis and gave them the info and they past it to the work comp people. I should be hearing from them I hope today.

As for my injuries... I'm Damn lucky. The left side of my neck is sore and I can maybe turn 1/4 to the left. It's sore when I move to the right but I can turn all the way. My left shoulder hurts to move it and I can't put my left arm on a steering wheel for more then 10 minutes before it starts to hurt more.

I keep in contact with Davis and so far they are great about everything. I even asked them if I needed lawyer to cover me for any damage that occurred during the accident and I was told nope it was covered under the insurance. I was also told to submit all my receipts for the hotel, taxi, car rental, food expenses. I was also told that I might be able to get a partial payback for the internet card for my computer. I use the computer to get a better idea where I'm going and to get updates on traffic and road construction etc....Not to mention that I have emailed digital pictures to the Safety Dept. on another occassion.

So... once again I feel lucky and I thank everyone for the concern and well wishes... feel free to PM me.

I've spent the past few days just being around my wife and son. I've put them through alot.

As far as the accident. I just need to keep in mind that this was a very rare type of think to occur.... Davis has ruled this wreck as non preventable and told me to get better so they can get me back into a truck with no documentation going into my file. So far everything is going good. Let's just hope it continues....

I'll try to post pictures of the truck here if I can figure out how to do it. typing with one hand doesn't help either.
Sorry DD for the hijack.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
BANNED

Is it wise for a driver who has less than one year of experience to run out and buy a truck and trailer ???
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

dewercs...It is great that you came out of that accident in such great condition.
Just from your description of the events during the accident, you have helped countless Rookies, (whom maybe think..."I'M IN THIS BIG ASS TRUCK, I DON'T NEED NO STINKING SEATBELT!!!") realize that they do need the seatbelt..if even for only 25 or 30 seconds of their life.

Heal-up, then get back in a truck.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

dewercs2,

you're not hijacking the thread, post all you want when ever you want. Glad that you are home and Davis is doing the "right thing". Hope to see you out here soon.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Is it wise for a driver who has less than one year of experience to run out and buy a truck and trailer ???
depends on the person
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

11/29/07
I checked the weather report for the passes this morning and Snoqualmie Pass was clear, but Blewett Pass on Hwy 97 was requiring chains. When I got there, sure enough the sign was flashing that traction devices were advised. As I went along, the road was wet but clear. I asked a couple of south bound drivers if the roads were any worse ahead of me and they said it was clear. So I made it across without ever having to chain up.

I went to Rock Island and shut down at a independent truck stop that has turned out to be pretty decent with plenty of parking and good food. This place positions me about 15 minutes from the customer.

Tomorrow I will load out and start making my way to Texas. My route will take me back across I-90 so I am hoping the passes are clear. In addition, I will have to run down I-25 through Denver and pick up I-70, I hope the conditions down there are ideal as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Take care dropping through Colorado this week...gonna be nasty the WC is saying.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Take care dropping through Colorado this week...gonna be nasty the WC is saying.
Thanks, I am hoping (more like wishful thinking :wink: ) that it will be smooth sailing through there
Old 11-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Thanks, I am hoping (more like wishful thinking :wink: ) that it will be smooth sailing through there
Weather Channel is calling for major snow fall east of the rockies, all the way up into the Great Lakes region. The storm is originating out of the Pacific south of San Diego, so will bring in lot's of moisture. They are calling for 4 to 6" of snow in northern Arizona tomorrow. Heaviest snow fall is supposed to be in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, more than 18 inches, friday and saturday. Another storm, this one orginating out of Alaska is due to hit the central states region on sunday, combining cold with the moisture from the Pacific storm, and generating even more snowfall through out the Rockies sunday and monday.

How does Davis feel about skirting around major weather??

If they are good with it, I suggest taking 97 south to California, I-5 south to Bakersfield, 58 south to Barstow..then decide ....I-40 or I-10 to Texas.

If you decide to come across the northern route, either stay with 90 to Billings, then angle down through Kansas, or beat feet down to Pocotello ID, come across US 30 to Rock Springs WY and on to Cheyenne. Better road crews on that route, even though it is 2-lane, and cuts miles off.

Another route is to drop down I-15 to Spanish Fork UT, take US 6 across Soldiers Summit and drop down to GreenRiver UT, east of GreenRiver UT, drop south on US 191 to Monticello UT, then south on US 491 (old US 666) through Dove Creek CO and Cortez CO..on into farmington Nm, into Bloomfiled Nm, then south on old route 44 to Albuqurque and I-40. This route is about the same mileage as going through Denver, but will skirt you west of the majority of the storm, even though mostly 2-lane road.

Of course...this advise and suggestions, is based on worst case scenerios.

If it doesn't get as bad as WC is calling for..clear sailing down the Eastern Front!!!

Safe Trip.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
I live in Glenwood Springs.....Run line haul from Grand Junction to Denver and back 3 days a week.....They say we're gonna get hammered starting tomorrow around noon into saturday.....1-3 feet,over ice on the I-70 corridor.....Ice storms east of Denver into west Kansas....