User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Did you get out of Missoula yesterday?

We will want to see pictures of you new truck and trailer when you get them!

Congratulations on getting a new truck and going lease operator!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Board Regular

DD,

Where are you at? I am at the TA in Slidell, LA with 2 stops in New Orleans tomorrow. After that it is off to Houston for Tuesday, Dallas for Wednesday, and empty out in Van Horn on Thursday morning. Will we at all cross paths.

Hey, thank for reminding me to contact LTL dispatch early. I will tomorrow and I have all the information of weight and deck space availability.

I am going to withhold my decision to stay or leave from this site until I have a firm answer. I know many others read this blog and I feel my boss and company should get it first hand.

Thanks for all the info. Please post pictures of yoiur Western Star truck and trailer, so I will know what to look for.

Take care, DPC
Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

11/30-12/2/07
I can’t believe it’s December already…..as they say “time sure flies when you’re having fun”.

I loaded first thing Friday morning and made my way east. I shut down in Missoula and ran into 2 of the drivers that I ran with to Bothell. One of them was headed in my direction on I-90 up to Billings, there he was taking I-94 and I would continue on I-90.

I had expected to get the wheels turning by late morning Saturday, but it wasn’t until closer to 1pm before I hit the road. Part was my fault but I was also waiting on the other driver as we decided to run together as far as Billings.

The roads in Montana suck. I swear the DOT there just does not care about clearing and de-icing the roads. We stopped in Laurel, MT to top off our tanks and decided to go ahead and shut it down there since it was getting dark and the temp was in the low single digits. We grabbed a bit to eat and said out “goodbyes/be safe” since just 20 miles down the road we would be going our separate ways.

I was up at 5am and by 6am just before it was getting light outside I hit the road. I did not feel like I went far enough over the last couple of days so I wanted to burn up some miles. I fully expected the road conditions to be less than ideal the whole day. And it started off that way through Montana and into Wyoming. The roads were sanded, but there was still packed snow on them and the temps dipped down as low as -11 for a while. So I crept along all the way to Casper, WY. From there on out the roads were clear and the temps rose up into the low 40’s.

I expected the Denver area to be snow covered but it was dry as a bell and zero hints that there has even been any snow in days. I stopped at the TA in Commerce City to fuel up and was going to shut it down. But I was surprised that it was packed like sardines and no parking available so early in the afternoon. I hit the road and headed to Limon, CO where it too was packed but there were a couple of spots left and I managed to snag one.

I am now about 950 miles or so from my customer. I haven’t decided what time I’ll get up, but I think I put at least 600 of that 950 miles behind me tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Where ya at DD, and how was the weather..did it treat ya good??
for the most part, the weather was great!!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Did you get out of Missoula yesterday?

We will want to see pictures of you new truck and trailer when you get them!

Congratulations on getting a new truck and going lease operator!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Thanks. I am suppose to pick them up in 2 weeks and I will definetely post pics of them (if I can remember how to do it). The great thing about doing it the way I am is that I can take my ball and go play somewhere else anytime I want
Old 12-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
DD,

Where are you at? I am at the TA in Slidell, LA with 2 stops in New Orleans tomorrow. After that it is off to Houston for Tuesday, Dallas for Wednesday, and empty out in Van Horn on Thursday morning. Will we at all cross paths.

Hey, thank for reminding me to contact LTL dispatch early. I will tomorrow and I have all the information of weight and deck space availability.

I am going to withhold my decision to stay or leave from this site until I have a firm answer. I know many others read this blog and I feel my boss and company should get it first hand.

Thanks for all the info. Please post pictures of yoiur Western Star truck and trailer, so I will know what to look for.

Take care, DPC
I am in Limon, Co right now and should be in Texas on Tuesday provided I don't get slowed down by any maor weather, accidents, traffic, etc.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

12/03-04/07
I did not get my 600 miles in as planned the other day. I felt a little worn down and decided to call it a day in Perry, OK. I did however, get up early this morning and make the run into Sandow, TX where I got offloaded a day early.

The past couple of days have been nothing less than perfect for driving. The weather has been awesome with clear skies and sun shine. The temps have been in the mid 50’s until today. Today it was a whopping 65 degrees and sunny out. What a perfect day for both driving and unloading.

When I first got this load, I was also offered a choice between it and one running to New Hampshire. I have been like a ping pong ball the past 7+ weeks running from coast to coast and wanted a change of pace, not only a change of scenery, but a chance to thaw out…..LOL.

I called in my empty status and of course there was nothing at the moment. I expected this since Texas always seems slow for freight at least for Davis. I am 150 miles or so from home and asked the dispatcher that if there was anything, anything at all running to, from or through the San Antonio area to please keep me in mind. It sure would be nice to spend a night in my comfy bed. I won’t hold my breath, but at least I know I’ll be home in a couple of weeks for the holidays.

Anyways, I am shut down at a small truck stop (only one here) in Cameron, TX. The TS guide says it’s a “food mart” so I expected a rinky-dink little place with a convenience store. To my surprise it has about 30+ paved parking spaces, convenience store, fuel, drivers lounge, showers and a BBQ place. It is actually a very clean and nice place.

As nice as this place is, I hope to be leaving tomorrow to pick up a load.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Board Regular

DD,

I am Big Spring, TX right now. It is still afternoon but I need a shower and laundry done. I have 225 miles to go to Van Horn, TX then the site I am delivering to is 20-25 miles north of town. I will be there to deliver first thing in the morning, but I don't think I will have cell phone coverage.

This load has 6 stop on it. 2 were in New Orleans on Monday. Going across the I10 causeway east of town there is a 35 ton limit. I had 30,000 lbs of product, but still had to cross the scales(all trucks did). I drove about 5-10 miles down the road from the scale and Louisiana Police pulled me over for a spot check of my logs and check the weight on my bills. I didn't have any paperwork with just the total weight, so I had to show all on them. He let me go after that.

I stop in Port Allen, LA for a couple hours that day because I had to return several calls to recruiters and get release forms FAX to me. This turned out to be a mistake as I got to the TA in Baytown, TX about 6:30pm and there was no parking. There was no parking at any of the 4 TS at that exit. I got fuel when I needed a shower and laundry. So I drove down the road to the crappy Key Truck Stop in Channelview, TX. I found 1 parking space that had a big mud puddle with a tire floating in the middle. The store and restrooms were filthy and several lot lizards running around TS. I don't think I had the shots needed to be in that place! :cry:

I got up early and out of the place. I made 2 stops in Houston. I ended up with only 3500 lbs, half the deck free, and my tarp about a foot high. It was actually a challenge to retarp such a small load.

I spent Tuesday night in Fairfield, TX at the Love's because I want to insure I got a parking spot. I walked across the interstate to this BBQ place and had a plate of ribs, beans, and potato salad.

This morning in Dallas I had just 700 lbs to unload. I only had to untarp one side of the front of the trailer and remove the J hooks to free up the product. It took only an hour to be in and out.

I gave my notice to Davis and I should be done by 21 December. This would work out great for me as I would drive my pickup truck(It is parked in Missoula) to Spokane and stay with my friend for a day or two. I would like to be back to Hillsboro Christmas Eve. With 2 weeks to still run with Davis maybe I will headed back east again.

I plan to be off work until January 7 so that I can enjoy Christmas, New Year, and my birthday. I have told all the recruiter my availability. I am right now weighing all the offers and each company has something different(eg. equipment, dedicated runs, 48 states, Canada, etc.) to offer. I am not going to rush my decision.

Well, I have to go because as soon as my laundry is done I am out of here.

Where are you buying your Western Star and trailer from?

Later,
Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

12/05/07
I made my call in this morning and as usual it was the ole “call me back in an hour”. This went on for several hours. While I was waiting, I decided to go ahead and do my weekly maintenance on the truck since the parking lot appeared to be clean and well kept.

By noon time I figured I would end up being there another day. So I went inside and paid for a shower. I was surprised that it was only $5 opposed to the usual $9-10 most places charge when you don’t get fuel. Even more surprising, the shower room was huge and extremely clean. After showering and grabbing a quick bite to eat, it was time to call in again. Only this time there was a load for me to pick up on Thursday afternoon in Oak Grove, LA going to Gardiner, MT. I have not gotten the exact miles yet, but my deadhead is 420 and I estimate my loaded will be somewhere around 1,850 for a total of around 2,270.

I called the customer and got my directions. The guy said there was overnight parking on his property so I planned on going straight there. But since the guy said the load will not be ready until after 12 noon, I decided to go ahead and stop for fuel and shut down just across the Louisiana state line. I only have about 180 miles to go and until noon-ish to get there.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
DD,

I am Big Spring, TX right now. It is still afternoon but I need a shower and laundry done. I have 225 miles to go to Van Horn, TX then the site I am delivering to is 20-25 miles north of town. I will be there to deliver first thing in the morning, but I don't think I will have cell phone coverage.

This load has 6 stop on it. 2 were in New Orleans on Monday. Going across the I10 causeway east of town there is a 35 ton limit. I had 30,000 lbs of product, but still had to cross the scales(all trucks did). I drove about 5-10 miles down the road from the scale and Louisiana Police pulled me over for a spot check of my logs and check the weight on my bills. I didn't have any paperwork with just the total weight, so I had to show all on them. He let me go after that.

I stop in Port Allen, LA for a couple hours that day because I had to return several calls to recruiters and get release forms FAX to me. This turned out to be a mistake as I got to the TA in Baytown, TX about 6:30pm and there was no parking. There was no parking at any of the 4 TS at that exit. I got fuel when I needed a shower and laundry. So I drove down the road to the crappy Key Truck Stop in Channelview, TX. I found 1 parking space that had a big mud puddle with a tire floating in the middle. The store and restrooms were filthy and several lot lizards running around TS. I don't think I had the shots needed to be in that place! :cry:

I got up early and out of the place. I made 2 stops in Houston. I ended up with only 3500 lbs, half the deck free, and my tarp about a foot high. It was actually a challenge to retarp such a small load.

I spent Tuesday night in Fairfield, TX at the Love's because I want to insure I got a parking spot. I walked across the interstate to this BBQ place and had a plate of ribs, beans, and potato salad.

This morning in Dallas I had just 700 lbs to unload. I only had to untarp one side of the front of the trailer and remove the J hooks to free up the product. It took only an hour to be in and out.

I gave my notice to Davis and I should be done by 21 December. This would work out great for me as I would drive my pickup truck(It is parked in Missoula) to Spokane and stay with my friend for a day or two. I would like to be back to Hillsboro Christmas Eve. With 2 weeks to still run with Davis maybe I will headed back east again.

I plan to be off work until January 7 so that I can enjoy Christmas, New Year, and my birthday. I have told all the recruiter my availability. I am right now weighing all the offers and each company has something different(eg. equipment, dedicated runs, 48 states, Canada, etc.) to offer. I am not going to rush my decision.

Well, I have to go because as soon as my laundry is done I am out of here.

Where are you buying your Western Star and trailer from?

Later,
I wish you the best of luck with which ever company you choose. I am sure you'll do just fine and Davis's loss is another comapany's gain.