LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2
Hey DD,

Have'n fun yet? I can't wait to get back on the road. Being at home is driving me nuts :shock:

hope to see you all back on the road very soon...

pb
yeah, if you count stress these past couple of days as fun....then I am having a BLAST!!! :lol:

I better see you out here sooner or later. :x :wink:
Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

01/02-04/08
I left out of the house as planned on January 2nd and made my way to Kansas City, MO. Before I left, I called the salesman at the dealership to make sure everything was “good to go” for me to pick up the equipment, I was told “yep, everything is ready for you to drive away when you get here”. Cool, I figure a couple of hours inspecting the equipment and signing paper work and I’ll be on my way.

I arrived about 10am on the 3rd and was told that since the truck had been sitting in freezing weather for the past several weeks they had the batteries charging overnight, however, they were too drained to hold a decent charge and decided to replace all with new once. O.K. great, new batteries sound good to me. Well there one and only mechanic was out on the road and got rear ended by another car and was now going to be late coming back to the dealership. O.K. no problem since I still need to inspect the truck and trailer, sign a ton of paper work and move my personal belongings into the truck.

I found all kinds of little things wrong that I wanted fixed on the truck. I know this is a used truck and did not expect to find it in pristine condition, but also did not expect to pay $51k (truck & trailer) and drive away with marker lights out, radio not working, instrument lights out on the dash, no fire extinguisher, etc, not to mention it did not appear to have been detailed as I was told it was.

After noting and I am sure pissing off the salesman with all the things on the truck, I moved on to inspecting the trailer. Everything was fine except they have “lost” the keys to the 3 tool boxes (luckily they were unlocked) and as I was inspecting the brake canisters, I popped off the little rubber dust covers and noticed that one of them had a piece of “round metal” just loosely dangling around inside. I told the salesman that the MUST be replaced as it is a safety hazard not to mention a safety issue that will get me put OOS. By now I am getting a little disgusted because I was assured that everything was in working order and ready for me to pick up. This was not the case and I was starting to reach my boiling point. Well to make a long story short, it was around 6pm when I finally drove away (with everything fixed and in order mind you).

I get rolling down the road and its getting dark. I am still getting used to how the truck handles and where all the “buttons” are for everything and decided that night time probably was the best time to try and figure all this out. So I didn’t get very far before finding a truck stop to fuel up and shut down for the night.

I did not realize how mentally exhausted I was until I actually parked and took a deep breathe as I pondered this new adventure I am embarking on. I made my bed and no sooner did my head hit the pillow and I was out like a light.

Since I fell asleep so early, I naturally woke early. Once I drank a nice strong cup of coffee and completed my pre-trip, I hit the road. I had already planned on stopping at the TA in Council Bluffs, IA to have a PM done on the truck (maintenance records showed that it’s been over 8,000 miles since the last one and although I am sure I could have gone another 4,000+ miles before doing it, I just felt better getting it done now.)

After the PM, I decided I would put some of my things away as the mess was driving me crazy, well one thing led to another and before I knew it I was conducting my own detail job. I am a little anal-retentive when it comes to things like that. Guess it’s the whole “white glove” inspection mentality I developed in the military. Anyways, by the time I was done it was late afternoon and I was too tired (more like lazy) to get rolling so I decided to stay here the night. Besides, I am in no hurry since Davis is closed over the weekend and I had planned to be there no later than first thing Monday.

So the past couple of days started off a little bit on the wrong foot with the dealer but has progressed nicely thus far. The truck runs smooth and the trailer follows straight. It’s really nice to have so much space and a ton of storage. Even better yet is being able to stand up when getting dressed!! My initial assessment of the equipment so far is good. Just hope it remains that way especially after it’s outfitted and I am under a load.

I know everyone has been asking where the pics are, and although I had the best of intentions to take some today and post them, I got a tad bit side tracked with my cleaning and organizing and never got around to it. I will definitely take some tomorrow (or the day after).
Old 01-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I know you've probably already mentioned it but what type of tractor did you buy?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Rookie

dewercs,
The higher authority is not his boss. It is with the state. If you have a problem you can e-mail me at [email protected] I got this from a friend who works for a workmens comp attorney here in Calif. I don't think you'll need it though. It just takes some time. Just be the wheel that needs the grease if you know what I mean. Brandon went out of his way for me and just give him a chance. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need the info though I just have to call my buddy because I can't remember what it was now.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Rookie

Hey all-
I have read this entire forum. It took me about a week. Great information here. I want to thank you guys for taking the time to journal your adventures. I am sure it will help me to avoid some mistakes of my own.

I have recently graduated from sage here in Salt Lake City and I am starting orientation at May in Layton this Monday morning and I am looking forward to starting an adventure of my own. Although I won't be flat bedding it sounds like a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Who knows maybe I will eventually convert.

I found the thread from following the link on GFIW's thread about GFI's adventures at May. I just want to thank you two personally for posting the information on the board as I think that it may have saved me some trouble. Coming out of CDL school I thought that I could drive well enough already and now after reading here I will be staying with my trainer as long as I can. I just hope I get a good trainer. Believe me this is a heart felt thank you as i know it came at a price. I have seen your new thread and will be reading that as well. I have recently read through about six months worth in one week so it may take a while. I wish you and your family the best on your new adventure as well.

Anyway I love reading about all of you guys ventures. Keep em coming.

I too am waiting to see photos of the new rig DD. And wish you the BOL with your new endeavor. I feel that after reading about your experience and looking into it I may choose the same path of O/O. I have been self employed for 19 years.

Once again thanks
Bnine
Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I know you've probably already mentioned it but what type of tractor did you buy?
2001 Western Star 4964EX with a 2003 Transcraft Eagle 48'x96" spread
Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine
Hey all-
I have read this entire forum. It took me about a week. Great information here. I want to thank you guys for taking the time to journal your adventures. I am sure it will help me to avoid some mistakes of my own.

I have recently graduated from sage here in Salt Lake City and I am starting orientation at May in Layton this Monday morning and I am looking forward to starting an adventure of my own. Although I won't be flat bedding it sounds like a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Who knows maybe I will eventually convert.

I found the thread from following the link on GFIW's thread about GFI's adventures at May. I just want to thank you two personally for posting the information on the board as I think that it may have saved me some trouble. Coming out of CDL school I thought that I could drive well enough already and now after reading here I will be staying with my trainer as long as I can. I just hope I get a good trainer. Believe me this is a heart felt thank you as i know it came at a price. I have seen your new thread and will be reading that as well. I have recently read through about six months worth in one week so it may take a while. I wish you and your family the best on your new adventure as well.

Anyway I love reading about all of you guys ventures. Keep em coming.

I too am waiting to see photos of the new rig DD. And wish you the BOL with your new endeavor. I feel that after reading about your experience and looking into it I may choose the same path of O/O. I have been self employed for 19 years.

Once again thanks
Bnine
I am glad that you enjoyed reading my journal. It's main purpose was to "document" my day to day journey into this industry for people to enjoy reading or possibly help ease any anxiety that someone new might have. Sounds like it did that for you. I wish you the best of luck with May and your career in the industry. Take care and be safe out here!!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I have been bugged, harrased, and hounded for pics of my truck. Well i finally got off my lazy butt and took some. Hopefully I can upload these with no problem and if they are too big I apologize in advance.

Now remember, this truck is nothing special and is not fancy, its just a piece of equipment I am hoping will help me make a decent living.

drum roll please :wink: .................................................. ...............

Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Good looking unit's there DD. Good Luck!!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey DD!

The ride looks sweet! :wink: Let us know how she handles with a load.

GFI