User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Yep, irregular-route over-the-road trucking sucks. Nothing but labor racketeering. Waaaaaaayyyyyy too many freebies. But as I'm sure you've heard from the highway heroes, it's all "part of the job". :lol: :roll:

I actually worked (not waiting around- real work) six hrs straight for less than $5 a week ago. I only get paid by the mile but not if I'm in the same city. I also don't get paid to wrestle with shoddy equipment*, nor to work with the shipper to get the BOL straight, nor to drop and hook, nor drive around and around looking for a trailer, scale the load, slide tandems twice, secure load... but it could have been worse if security didn't let me slide on something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle
This profession is just like any other that pay is based on performance. If you are willing to work, you can make alot, if not, earning potential is limited.
I did resent that a little bit, but it wasn't- directly- directed to me. I do like the "based on performance" not time, only performance.

Quote:
The great one speaks!!!

But what happens when the driver wants to work, is available for work, has hours to run, but Crete has no loads for him? What then? Why must he spend the weekend sitting in a truckstop with rivers of piss flowing through it for no money?
* I did something I'm not proud of
The trailer needed to be fixed
the slides and landing gear were BARELY functional
and one tandem tire was shoot
plus another was flat from a very slow leak
I took the load straight past a terminal because, you know, I only get paid on performance.
I'm tired of being Crete's equipment boy for not, nothing, zip
Old 07-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
Quote:
Yep, irregular-route over-the-road trucking sucks. Nothing but labor racketeering. Waaaaaaayyyyyy too many freebies. But as I'm sure you've heard from the highway heroes, it's all "part of the job". :lol: :roll:

I actually worked (not waiting around- real work) six hrs straight for less than $5 a week ago. I only get paid by the mile but not if I'm in the same city. I also don't get paid to wrestle with shoddy equipment*, nor to work with the shipper to get the BOL straight, nor to drop and hook, nor drive around and around looking for a trailer, scale the load, slide tandems twice, secure load... but it could have been worse if security didn't let me slide on something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle
This profession is just like any other that pay is based on performance. If you are willing to work, you can make alot, if not, earning potential is limited.
I did resent that a little bit, but it wasn't- directly- directed to me. I do like the "based on performance" not time, only performance.

Quote:
The great one speaks!!!

But what happens when the driver wants to work, is available for work, has hours to run, but Crete has no loads for him? What then? Why must he spend the weekend sitting in a truckstop with rivers of piss flowing through it for no money?
I took the load straight past a terminal because, you know, I only get paid on performance.
the only thing you listed there -- that would have gotten YOU in
trouble is the tires---
shouldn't drive around on flats-- could get a ticket.
call it in from nearest t/s

don't blame you a bit for skipping the terminal
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

trouble is the tires---

well I did get air at the closest t/s. I never worried or even thought about getting ticketed. Not a chance I was gonna call it in, already spent enough time dealing wth it. leaving the trailer for another driver/coworker was :dung: ty though.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:

trouble is the tires---

well I did get air at the closest t/s. I never worried or even thought about getting ticketed. Not a chance I was gonna call it in, already spent enough time dealing wth it. leaving the trailer for another driver/coworker was :dung: ty though.
I must have miss read the part about leaving YOUR FLAT TIRE/ Tires for another driver--- yes, that was really sorry on your part-- sure crap flows down hill-- and maybe someone/ another driver before you did you wrong-- but passing it along is totally unprofessional.

I just read the part about "passing up the terminal" as a total time waster--

But I thought you had stopped at a Truckstop shop and got it fixed( at least the tires) while enjoying a few hours relaxing, maybe have a meal, hot shower etc--- none of which would be available had you pulled into a terminal to get it fixed.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM

The Crete Driver who unfortunatly ran into the back of a van carrying seven children and killed all of them and the grandfather of them after learning of the accident has been sentanced to 7 years in the Florida state prison.
During his trial he testified that he was pushed to the limits from his dispatcher stating qualcom notes such as "what is taking you so long?"
"We are going to lose this account if you can't keep up" The company was 20 loads behind schedule from the water plant in High Springs,FL
The Dispatchers knew this driver was out of hours and still allowed him to press forward. He had been awake for 34 hours at the time of the crash.
The driver states he is responsible and is guilty as charged, but feels that pressure from management and dispatch kept him feeling like he needed to press forward in order to keep his local account and be home with his family every night.
The state of Florida is now considering and looking seriuously into bringing charges against both company management and the dispatchers involved in this incident. Everybody holds some sort of responsibilty including dispatchers & management.
My point is that if charges are brought against management and dispatchers then maybe just maybe people will think twice before expecting drivers to complete unrealistic turn around times.. including the drivers.

Timberwolf
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I realize that this might come off as being wrong but here goes......

Timberwolf....what does this have to do with this posting?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
The Dispatchers knew this driver was out of hours and still allowed him to press forward. He had been awake for 34 hours at the time of the crash.
Actually, that statement is incorrect. From what I have seen from the reports, the driver's logs were fine and he had hours to run. Apparently, though, he was coming off a 34 hour reset and chose to do it by not resting.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Blue Bettle, some people posted in this thread about bad dispatchers, I just wanted to point out that dispatchers and managemnt can be held liable for their actions if an accident occurs and they know of any wrong doing. Lets face some dispatchers expect drivers to do the impossible at times. Plus is is a crete thread..

Twilight from what I read from the Times Union Article in Lake Butler Wilkerson testified in court that he was awake for 34 hours and that on prior water runs his dispatchers critizied him for sleeping to long, He also testified that the dispatchers knew what he was doing and where he was at, He had already delivered one load of water that day and was working on his second at the time of the accident.
Just stating what the paper said. and we all know how reliable that is.... :roll:

timberwolf
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

The article I read stated that Wilkerson had came off a legal 34-hr reset- had his log book current and legal- but the state used his personal cell phone records to indicate/prove he was awake -- making and receiving personal phone calls during that 34hour period- and could not have been "rested" before he started his 14 hour duty shift.

Which puts the "monkey" back on Wilkerson-- he should have been willing to loose his job- by telling Crete he was tired/ needed more rest. Which of course, was what he was suppose to be doing during his 34hour reset.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Rookie

And now the victims families will probably go after Crete.

As tragic as the accident was/is, Crete is almost as much at fault as frieghtliner is (None)

Even if the dispatchers did push him or threaten his job it still doesn't matter.
Doesn't change the outcome or the fault (Wilkerson).
If Wilkerson got sentenced to 70 years it doesn't matter.
There is no justice or vengeance on this accident, and giving him a harsher sentence would never deter any other carelessness or stupidity.

I don't know how much Crete has payed or will pay but its is just extortion.

Does anybody know how much "Florida" has cost Crete?