User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

the school must be PTDI certified if it's not your wasting your time and money! Make sure you check that out. Most co. require the PTDI cert.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
In my experience, sitting at a truck stop waiting for a load assignment is called "doing a 34 hour reset," whether you actually need one or not. Different company, but I don't think that matters.
The few times I sat for a weekend I made the most of it. Catch up on sleep & laundry and sometimes rent a room/car and enjoy a mini vacation! Why sit at a hot stinking T/S and be miserable? You know WAAA-WAAA I don't have a load for the weekend! never mind you only have 3 hrs left! :lol: Who said you have to drive every day?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
In my experience, sitting at a truck stop waiting for a load assignment is called "doing a 34 hour reset," whether you actually need one or not. Different company, but I don't think that matters.
In my experience- it's called catch-22.

If you were running hard-- say, 3400 + miles a week-- then and only then would you really need a "reset"--
If your company had freight available-- you'd be running not setting...and they wouldn't "allow" you to set.
If you're setting without a load or waiting for a load that picks up later--- it's called Layover. You only "reset" when You don't have hours--- and the only way you "run out of hours" is if you're -----running.
Doing resets every few days-- whether you actually need one or not-- means you're not making any money....
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Rookie

mtl2020-

I read and research for hrs on end on trucking companies and the industry. Crete is a good OTR company, but that isn't saying much. What I wish I would have known before I started trucking-

I knew there would be a lot of "free" work but... it is insane. I easily work the equivalent of a part time job for nothing. I'm expected too also (by the company). 20 to 30 hrs of uncompensated work a week, my god.

Crete and every other company expects you to log illegally. Just Crete is really tight with there logs. If I were to log even 90% legal I'd bump my 70 in six days easy. And Crete will push you to do runs even after you tell them you don't have the hrs. (this is mainly night and weekend dispatch)

Trucking sucks. I thought it would be an "embrace the suck" type job. It isn't it, it just sucks. And yes I will be quiting soon. I will become proficient/experienced enough to land a WAY better job.

You will meet some really cool people "out here". But this is otr. So the smallest and most simple things have more meaning, because there are so many frustrating and unnecessary things to deal with doing this job. Besides the only thing lower than their IQ, on the majority of long haul drivers, is there disposition and hygiene standards.

You will be treated with an incredible amount of rudeness. If I'm in a good mood it is comical but most of the time it is... ya ya ya blah blah blah as I think "can we just get this over with". "They" can treat you poorly so most of "them" will. And before any calls me out on my disposition... I make a point of personal pride to be nice, pleasant and considerate to everybody.

CYA CYA CYA CYA CYA.

In otr you work off a "piece work" (miles) pay but Crete and almost all other companies won't even pay you for all the miles they KNOW you'll have to drive to do the job.

And to do the job there are so many many variables and possible things that can go wrong. Everybody knows this. But in all most all cases you will have to do what it takes to get the job done, maybe while your tired (sleep schedule all screwed up) Dirty (don't have time to shower/ wait in line for shower) Mad (your getting treated like an animal) hungry (takes more than money to eat well on the road) lonely (couldn't find a lot lizard the night before j/k) ...

Getting home does matter. I'm single no kids and I typically don't live in the same city for over 5-6 months. But ever since I started trucking family/friends means SO MUCH more to me. I cannot start any meaningful relationships on the road, so now I have to do what I can to make sure the connections I have stay that way.

I going to stop now
trucking sucks and you'll have to "make the most of it" you won't have a choice, well you could become a 400lbs dirty reeking socially unacceptable
now I gotta stop

I'm NOT trying to OFFEND anyone
Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

To answer the question of the postings main question. We do hire students but only from about 72 schools in the United States. The school in Liverpool is unfortunately not one. So once you graduate you will need to get at least six months of over the road experience.

Yes we will rent you a car to get you to the closest terminal or reimburse you gas money for the trip. Students go with trainers upon successfully completing a drug test/physical/road test and interview. You are paid $500 a week while you are out with a trainer and upon completion of the training will be dropped off in Lincoln, NE for a final road test and two day paid orientation ($140 + $100 if your hazmat endorsement is on your license). You are then assigned your own truck at $.34 cpm until your anniversary with the company. At that time you go to the rate of pay of an individual with one year of experience for the fleet that you are driving on. On the National fleet that would be $.39 cpm at Crete Carrier and $.40 at Shaffer. Our training program is a solo operation. It is expressed to the trainers of this fact with supervised training required for the majority of the time that the trainee is on board. We currently have a 31% turnover rate on our Driver Development fleet.

We are requiring that all of our drivers log legal. That isn't that standard answer that is the way it should be. IF a driver feels that he must log illegal than he needs to get with his terminal manager or the log department to get things corrected. It is a lot better then being dinged for points because he was "forced" to something he shouldn't.

This profession is just like any other that pay is based on performance. If you are willing to work, you can make alot, if not, earning potential is limited.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Ok. Fair enough. Without any opinions of the industry itself just of Crete with in the industry.

For a newbie Crete is top tier and a student driver will have to search hard to find a better training company to start with. I think Gordon (west coast) might be on par with Crete.

Crete makes an investment in their new hires period
Pays them industry leading wages.
And trains them to succeed not to fatten the companies coffers.
If a student has a problem they need to communicate with the company and
it will likely be resolved.
(I've seen the company go to lengths to correct problems.)

All the trainers I have ever talked with at Crete are lucky if they get 14,000 miles a month on super solo. (super solo is the second month of training the truck can run 19 hrs.)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Board Regular
Default Happy overall !

I am happy overall with Crete. On track to make $55-60k on ist year with the Walmart Dedicated Fleet in B'ville. The only issue(s) I have had and its been mentioned on here before with Crete is Communication. For instance while training, the trainee and trainer split the drop and detention pays. Well the policy changed about 6-7 weeks into my training. I did not know of this, no one said a word or sent a message. Well the very next week I get a check for $97 when I had been making about $550 training pay. So I call to ask whats up. We stopped the split pay and now we have to reimburse the trainers so we took it from your paycheck. Well folks that was house payment week, and I have already been out of a regular check for over 2 months. That hurt big time. A little communication would have helped with planning. They seem to have a "you already work for the best company so why are you upset attitude. The next weeks check was about half short too, after I was assured they had taken all they needed on the 1st check. Then I was slated for the big six month raise, it never came. I was patient gave it a month, asked about it, "we will get back to you was the answer" waited another month. Whats up, " oh you didnt get a message? No! ok, we will call you back. Another month, whats up; Oh you had accumulated 2 safety points so you do not qualify for the 6 months raise till they disappear. Fine again, could somone have told me this? Is it resolved?
yes and no. I do make the money now, but was I reimbursed for some of the back pay for when I fell below the 2 safety points? No
So to summarize, can't speak for OTR, I am in my own spoiled world of Dedicated. Overall: HAPPY Problems: COMMUNICATION
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
I knew there would be a lot of "free" work but... it is insane. I easily work the equivalent of a part time job for nothing. I'm expected too also (by the company). 20 to 30 hrs of uncompensated work a week, my god.
Yep, irregular-route over-the-road trucking sucks. Nothing but labor racketeering. Waaaaaaayyyyyy too many freebies. But as I'm sure you've heard from the highway heroes, it's all "part of the job". :lol: :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle
This profession is just like any other that pay is based on performance. If you are willing to work, you can make alot, if not, earning potential is limited.
The great one speaks!!!

But what happens when the driver wants to work, is available for work, has hours to run, but Crete has no loads for him? What then? Why must he spend the weekend sitting in a truckstop with rivers of piss flowing through it for no money?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Happy overall !

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie
So to summarize, can't speak for OTR, I am in my own spoiled world of Dedicated. Overall: HAPPY Problems: COMMUNICATION

I can speak for OTR and the communication problems. To be fair I'm not the best on communication but...

There is a night and day difference with communication and dispatch at Crete. That isn't figurative.

Day dispatch knows what the hell is going on even if they seem to just wing it.They will ignore you sometimes though, but atleast their competent. When something must get done they get it done. But if you want something they will leverage you if they can or you'll wait a very long time for response. But if they want something response time is quick. I've had to realize that I have to play their ignore game so I can get a kickback.

Night and weekend- avoid these fools as best you can. Thats a little harsh because I'm beginning to think they have sixteen year olds doing the after hours dispatch. Every driver at Crete learns to get a load for the weekend before night and weekend dispatch starts they're shift.

Crete has this real regimented and structured feel to the company with an expectation that your supposed to know the system. I finally had to tactfully ask my terminal manager what they're part in my employment is. It isn't much.

The dedicated seems like a better gig. More of an employee than a contractor.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
I'm thinking of hitchin on.

Is Crete's layover pay at, or above industry standards?

:dung: OTR Industry standards :dung:

Crete doesn't pay layover. And with the direction that fuel is heading I wouldn't start working for a company that doesn't pay layover. Unless you want to be doing some "sightseeing" lol. Carriers are going to have to get real tight with deadhead miles.