User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Im just a recruiter, I dont make company policy. But I am smart enough to know why we pay rand mcnally miles. Because that is how we charge the customers. Its about compitition for freight. Say "company A" bids for a customers freight. They bid 1.45 per mile @ 1000 Rand Mcnally miles. And then say Company B bids for the same freight at 1100 hub miles....Who do you think gets that customer?
But why is it that some companies like Roehl, CFI, Gordon, and Crete (to name a few) pay Practical Miles for their drivers? Last I looked, all of those companies are still in business. And doing rather well - CFI was just purchased by Conway for $750 million dollars.

Why does JB still insist on HHG? Could it be that they're a greedy, rate-cutting McMega hauler? Nahhhhhh.... :lol:

Quote:
Here is a great idea for you Cold. Since you are so smart and know a better way to run a trucking company than us. Why dont you get busy, start your own company, become a "mega carrier" and pay all your drivers 50cpm at hub miles? If that is a better way run a company, you should knock us off the top pretty quickly.
No thanks. I'll stick with my home everynight LTL job. Leave you to troll the truckstops handing out business cards and logbook rulers on behalf of your beloved employer.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, we are more profitable than all those companies, so we must be doing something better than them.

You might be one of those drivers who wonders why you should care about if the company profits. This might help you.

Here is a little news story that came out yesterday.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Wachovia Capital Markets analyst on Monday upgraded JB Hunt Transport Services Inc., saying the company's expanding cross-platform business makes it the best trucking stock to invest in long-term.

Hmmm...the best trucking company to invest in???
Why should that matter to a driver?
Well, any smart driver should also be an investor. Like I said earlier in this thread. Hell I really havent been here that long and most likely in a few years, I will be making more off company stock than my paycheck.
Our drivers get the same benefits I do. They can purchase company stock from day one. And they get a 50% company match on it.
I like to use one of my favorite drivers as a great example. But we have many drivers just like him. He just retired a few months ago and worked here 21 years. He was smart enough to buy a little company stock with every paycheck. He retired with about 4.5 million. It was kind of funny, and Craig Harper mentioned this at a meeting where we were meeting the driver. At one time that driver actually owned more stock than Craig Harper himself.
So do the math. 21 years and he now has 4.5 million to retire on. That would be a little over 214 grand a year on top of his pay.
So think about this..The upside: He was just a company driver, for 21 years he averaged with is stock and pay about 250k year....the downsideeople like you made fun of him on the CB, he drove a slow truck, and he got paid rand Mcnally miles.....Man, he sure had it bad :roll

[/quote]
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Well, we are more profitable than all those companies, so we must be doing something better than them.

You might be one of those drivers who wonders why you should care about if the company profits. This might help you.

Here is a little news story that came out yesterday.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Wachovia Capital Markets analyst on Monday upgraded JB Hunt Transport Services Inc., saying the company's expanding cross-platform business makes it the best trucking stock to invest in long-term.

Hmmm...the best trucking company to invest in???
Why should that matter to a driver?
Well, any smart driver should also be an investor. Like I said earlier in this thread. Hell I really havent been here that long and most likely in a few years, I will be making more off company stock than my paycheck.
Our drivers get the same benefits I do. They can purchase company stock from day one. And they get a 50% company match on it.
I like to use one of my favorite drivers as a great example. But we have many drivers just like him. He just retired a few months ago and worked here 21 years. He was smart enough to buy a little company stock with every paycheck. He retired with about 4.5 million. It was kind of funny, and Craig Harper mentioned this at a meeting where we were meeting the driver. At one time that driver actually owned more stock than Craig Harper himself.
So do the math. 21 years and he now has 4.5 million to retire on. That would be a little over 214 grand a year on top of his pay.
So think about this..The upside: He was just a company driver, for 21 years he averaged with is stock and pay about 250k year....the downsideeople like you made fun of him on the CB, he drove a slow truck, and he got paid rand Mcnally miles.....Man, he sure had it bad :roll
[/quote]

Interesting.....that driver name wouldn't be Terrence D. Matthews, now senior vise president of JB Hunt, would it?Because I just looked up that guys record.....yes, if JB Hunt was handing out blocks of options at $3.00-5.75 per share, then selling at market of around $23.00, I guess I would have 4.5 million too.

Why don't you tell us that we can options like that so we can retire rich, too. For those kind of options, I'd go back to work for JB as well.

But they don't hand those options out any more, do they? BTW, I found that info on this site:

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/83/5907.html

Fact is that a lot of workers that have been with a company for that period time have gotten those options....but not any more.

But you go ahead and make whatever claims you want. Like I said before, what you post speaks louder then I ever could about you, and the company you represent.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Just looked Craig Harper profile too.

No wonder you keep referring to craig....worth over $6,665,971 in options. His title is Divisional Executive VP/COO at JB Hunt Transport Services, Incorporated

'

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
    Senior Board Member

Or how about this guy:

'

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 AM
      Senior Board Member

But this guy has to be my favorite:

WOW....over 13 million in options alone.....hmmmm, just where do you think he got all of that money??? Oh yes, the very same drivers that can't get decent miles, or even routed with HUB miles, or even practical miles.

Yepp...you sure do work for a company that cares about it's drivers. :roll:

It looks like to me, the only way to have a decent retirement at JB is to hire on as management, not as a driver. Just a thought to all of those who think they can drive for JB, and come out with millions. :wink:

'

Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
        Senior Board Member

You know, after this, I realize that I now work for a pretty good company. I don't think the owners have as much as your CEO, but I can tell you this. I can talk to mine. Not the BS meetings they do to pat themselves on the back, never been a driver themselves, type of boss. This is a family own business. And it may be small, but the owners grew up within the business, and do a lot for the community.

You can keep Jb. I pity you, and all who work for them, and companies like them.

Time for me to move on.

Later

Jim

'

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM
        Senior Board Member

whats your point, cluggy...that our PRESIDENT AND CO make money? Of course they do. They run one of the most profitable trucking companies in the nation. My point being, that a driver can also use company stock to retire well off here. Happens all the time.
        You said you like your company because your boss started out in the business. Kirk Thompson started here as an hourly employee in accounting.
        By the look of your responses cluggy, Im guessing you arent an investor. Probably one of those living paycheck to paycheck guys who would rather criticize those who do invest than look at their own life and realize when they retire, they are going to be screwed. Back 5 years ago, when I decided to work here. I had a list of about 20 companies in the area. I got with my investment banker and went through each company looking at their benefits and each of theit stocks. Then made my decision which company would give be the best return on my money. The choice was easy and Im still here. I now put 10%-15% ( sometimes more ) of every paycheck in company stock ( where I get a 50% match on 6% of that) and I put another 10% in a S&P 500 mutual fund (same match ) that has been doing great too. Its amazing watching that grow. You know its a great feeling when even when Im not taking phone calls and goofing off on here with you, cluggy, Im still making good money. AGAIN...DRIVERS HAVE THAT SAME OPTION. I see drivers complaining about sitting around a lot. It seems to me that sitting around wouldnt seem so bad if you just looked at your company stock growing and making tons of money, even when you werent moving and you were sitting in a truck stop.
        But hey, again...that is just me.
        For the record, so you can do the math, cluggy. Since the day I started, Jb stock has gone up 400%....I now own 4677 shares. We have 100s and 100s of drivers who own more stock than me. If the stock goes up even 1% today, that would be a 1300 buck gain. Now if a driver is smart enough to invest...and for maths sake lets say he owns 3000 shares. Look at it over the year. The stock has done about 50% over the last year. Lets say the stock does the same over the next year as last year. (its actually doing better) That driver would make a return of a little over 43K on the year.
        43K divided by 365 days = 117 bucks a day. You say we dont pay weekend layover pay....sure we do...THERE IT IS. You say we have days where you dont get miles? Say you have a crappy day with only 150 miles driven at 42.cpm. 150 x .42= 63 bucks.....Factor in the return that your stock made...and your pay almost doubled, you can also look at that like YOUR MILEAGE DOUBLED. You say you want to work for hourly pay....THERE IT IS!...117 a day / say 11 hours a day driving is 10.63 and hour on top of your mileage pay.
        My point...almost any gripe you have with us cluggy, would be cancelled out by a smart driver with a few years here who INVESTED.
        Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
        Senior Board Member

Quote:
        You know, after this, I realize that I now work for a pretty good company. I don't think the owners have as much as your CEO, but I can tell you this. I can talk to mine.
        I talk to Craig and Kirk all the time. So do our drivers. Do you really think of the CEOs of large companies as unapproachable people? That is funny.
        Old 08-23-2007, 03:55 PM

Why not do it like Crete does...bills the customer based on HHG miles, pays the driver based on practical miles. Everyone is happy, everyone wins. You can tell a company cares for their drivers when they do something like that.