Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hub miles or Practical?

Which is better?

$ .35 cpm hub miles or
$ .41 cpm practical

Trying to decide my next step. Also the .35 cpm company has better equipment.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Board Icon

I would go hub but that's my personal opinion, that way you get paid for every single mile you put in. Practical only pays you mileage for whatever route the computer spits out. If you run into a backup and have to get around it, your not getting paid for any extra mileage you have to put on. Or you know a better route than the computer, it's further in miles by say 30 miles but you will save 30 minutes by going that longer route. Hub will pay that extra 30 miles, practical will not.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member

So what is the difference between Practical Miles and HHG?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
I would go hub but that's my personal opinion, that way you get paid for every single mile you put in. Practical only pays you mileage for whatever route the computer spits out. If you run into a backup and have to get around it, your not getting paid for any extra mileage you have to put on. Or you know a better route than the computer, it's further in miles by say 30 miles but you will save 30 minutes by going that longer route. Hub will pay that extra 30 miles, practical will not.
The one problem with hub miles is the one driver that abuses it,I work for a company that pays hub and we have one driver (a real good friend of double r who posts here) and he does alot of out of the way driving and puts on miles that he doesnt need to and as we all know it takes just one to mess it all up and start getting paid hmg or practical!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Board Icon

Go to mapquest or something similar and type in your location and another location say 1,000 miles away and click on "quickest route," that is what they call Practical miles. Take those same locations and click on "shortest route," that is HHG.

Practical is better than HHG, but Hub is better than Practical, but Hourly is better than Hub.

That's exactly the problem lucky. One driver can screw it up by saying, "Ha, watch me make a load of money on this run, I'm going to run a total of 500 miles on a run that is normally 250." That is why very few pay Hub miles. It's an honor system deal.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

A lot of times...practical miles are based on "zipcode to zipcode". You can make in the run in fewer miles than the paid mileage, and on the other hand maybe drive a few more than paid.

Hub can be straight hub...all miles driven, or "portal to portal" / "gate to gate". That will depend on the company.

The 41 cpm can offset any differential, but that would depend on what part of the country you are in, and where you are going..... In the NE....running N to S usually comes pretty close on practical, but I found that if you were having to run S before going W, or vice versa...you could come up short.

The others are right though....if you are getting true hub, you will get paid for every mile you run.

Either of them beat the pants off of HHG....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Rookie

I found another company. This one pays $17.39 hr and hauls mail. They state that they pay aprox 60 hrs a week.

Anybody know anything about hauling mail?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWOOD
I found another company. This one pays $17.39 hr and hauls mail. They state that they pay aprox 60 hrs a week.

Nope, but I'd jump all over that in a heartbeat. I make less than that per hour worked running on practical miles with negligible loading/unloading time (less than two hours a day usually, including pre- and post-trip.) That sounds like a deal unless you live in a high rent area.

As far as the broader question, .35 on hub miles, or .45 on practical, I'd say it really depends, but hub probably wins. Let me take my own situation for example, and see how it would shake out.

Practical miles means I drive 500 or more and get paid for no more than 440 of them. (I had to drive 60 miles round trip out of the way to go take a random drug test Friday, so that was 560 miles, or 120 miles or roughly two hours for absolutely free.)

440 * .45 = $154
500 * .35 = $175
560 * .35 = $196

I run the same route every day, so I can't say how this would scale out in the world of random pickups and random deliveries. In my situation, hub miles would clearly kick ass.

(When they switched from HHG to practical miles, it didn't make any difference on this route.)

(Looking at the base pay of $154 a day, I sure am glad I get stop-off and trailer move pay, or I would go broke fast just on miles alone.)
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWOOD

Mail drivers do tons of night driving.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
The one problem with hub miles is the one driver that abuses it,I work for a company that pays hub and we have one driver (a real good friend of double r who posts here) and he does alot of out of the way driving and puts on miles that he doesnt need to and as we all know it takes just one to mess it all up and start getting paid hmg or practical!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, he is my best friend. Tell him I said hi(not)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub miles. Like someone said, if you get caught in a back-up and go around, you get paid for thos eextra miles. If your looking for a place to park in a truck stop, you get paid to circle around it(don't abuse that one though). Now, getting paid by the hour, that is the best way to do it .

MY FACEBOOK PAGE