User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some old dog advice & recruiter info

First a little background on myself: I am 32 yrs old and have been doing roofing for the last 7 yrs. I have always wanted to start driving but life has always led me in different directions.

Now, I finally have an opportunity to go to driving school at the Sage school in Henderson, CO. I was very impressed with their school since they provide mountain training and 1 on 1 driving training (rather than 4 or 5 crammed in a truck watching each other drive).

I will not be able to start classes for about 2 more months since I still have to move my furniture here from storage in Indiana (just bought a house here) and a few other things to take care of before I can go off to classes for 4 and a half to 5 weeks. So probably 3 to 3 and a half more months before I am ready for actual otr finishing training with a company.

I have been seriously researching which companies I should be considering for employment after I graduate. Every time I think I've decided on 2 or 3 for the top of my list I read something that throws a wrench in it all.

Here's what I am looking for in a company :

1: OTR

2: As many miles as I can drive (legally) with a high a cpm for a new driver.

3: A good training program (I want to feel like I'm a prepared safe driver)

4: Good benefits

5: Treated like a human being

6: I am still debating dry van or flat....I'm leaning towards dry van though.

Any advice that you experienced drivers can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Recruiters are welcome to email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks in advance for all your help.

edit: Guess I should mention I live in Canon City, CO.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

another thing you might wanna look for

7. pot of gold

8. white unicorn

9. genie in a bottle

best thing to do when finding a company is to research research and research. this forum is great but find a local truckstop and talk to some other drivers.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbtubas

7. pot of gold

8. white unicorn

9. genie in a bottle

best thing to do when finding a company is to research research and research. this forum is great but find a local truckstop and talk to some other drivers.
Gee you were alot of help :roll: and I thought I was talking directly with other drivers here.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Need some old dog advice & recruiter info

here is your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRIDDYBIDDYDUCKS

Here's what I am looking for in a company :

1: OTR
ok thats a good start and limits your choices (nothing bad with that)

2: As many miles as I can drive (legally) with a high a cpm for a new driver.
the amount of miles varies widely. depending on how long you are out, company you are with, time of season, personal driving habits, and your work ethic. again you will probably not be paid $0.50/mile starting out green
3: A good training program (I want to feel like I'm a prepared safe driver)
AMEN!!!! alot of companies offer great "finishing" training. AGAIN RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
4: Good benefits
many national trucking companies DON'T offer great heatlh insurance to first year drivers since the turnover rate is high. AGAIN research as many companies as possible and see what they offer
5: Treated like a human being
that is dependent on the company you work for. dont take the recruiter's word for everything
6: I am still debating dry van or flat....I'm leaning towards dry van though.
if you were a roofer i might suggest flatbedding. gives you a work out and you can ALWAYS go back to pulling a dry van
Any advice that you experienced drivers can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Recruiters are welcome to email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks in advance for all your help.

edit: Guess I should mention I live in Canon City, CO.

Now i hope this helps. you can't find everything you want in one single company SO RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no one on this forum can tell you where to go for a job. everyone is different and with different expectations and requirements. all we can do is give you our opinion.

------------------------------EDIT------------------------------
http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ob=Search+Jobs

http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ing&StateID=CO
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks...thats more the type of advice I was looking for.

Yes, I know I can't expect to get .50 cpm as a new driver and have no false preconceptions of that type of cpm. What I meant was a high cpm for a NEW driver along with good miles. I don't want to be sitting around waiting for loads for excessive amounts of time.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:

Gee you were alot of help :roll: and I thought I was talking directly with other drivers here.
I think he was being serious
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm not the recruiting type and I'm not trying to pimp my company, but CFI is a pretty good outfit for new drivers.

Miles are one of those things where you're just going to have to take someone's word for it and go with your gut. I have driven more miles than I was told to expect, so I have no complaints. Some new drivers here have complained about miles, so take whatever anyone says with a grain of salt. I find that managing my hours and finding ways to fit schedules in using the split-sleeper option has worked to my benefit. The cpm is .26 during training and works up to .36 within the first year. That compares with the typical $300-400 training pay that a lot of companies offer. For me this was a big deal since I made more money before starting this career. Taking a smaller pay cut to start, while getting what I considered to be thorough training, was a positive.

I don't care about being treated like a human being, so I'm not the one to talk to there. To be perfectly honest, I'm happiest when they just leave me alone. I think every company says they 'care' but again you would have to talk to some people and trust your gut.

The benefits in year one will not blow anyone away. As previously mentioned, there is a reason for this. Turnover in the industry is high, and most people who wash out do so within the first year. Keeping first-year benefits basic and cheap keeps the costs down for those of us who stick around.

The training is, at least based on the research I did, better than average. Coming from an outside school, they would require a week of advanced training at Crowder College in Neosho, MO before going out with a trainer. When with a trainer, you are dispatched as a solo and the trainer is on line 4 for every hour that you drive. Eight hours of focused backing practice, plus various other 'this and that' are also required.

Now that I've typed all of that, I see that you're outside the CFI hiring area, but I typed it so I'm posting it. Hiring people outside the hiring area is a supply vs. demand thing. If they need drivers, they'll do it. If they are well-stocked, they won't. Drivers outside the hiring area aren't guaranteed to be home within five days of requesting time off, so that's another thing to consider.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice and info on CFI Vito. I will look into them. I absolutely will not be washing out of the industry. I am putting up over $4200 of my own hard earned cash to pay for my schooling... no financing involved and will be suffering through having to sleep in my 4 wheeler during school. I fully intend to be the best I can be and make my investment in myself worth it.

If anyone else can offer some words of advice or give me some info about the company you drive for it would be appreciated. So far I have only gotten an email from one recruiter... he was very nice and answered all my questions. I would still like to get as much info as possible from other drivers and recruiters as I can get.

Thanks MIBD
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Default CFI

I'm thinking going with CFI I talk to the recruiter today and he is going to call me tomorrow. Ive been out truck about two years and I say they will put me doing a refresher course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
I'm not the recruiting type and I'm not trying to pimp my company, but CFI is a pretty good outfit for new drivers.

Miles are one of those things where you're just going to have to take someone's word for it and go with your gut. I have driven more miles than I was told to expect, so I have no complaints. Some new drivers here have complained about miles, so take whatever anyone says with a grain of salt. I find that managing my hours and finding ways to fit schedules in using the split-sleeper option has worked to my benefit. The cpm is .26 during training and works up to .36 within the first year. That compares with the typical $300-400 training pay that a lot of companies offer. For me this was a big deal since I made more money before starting this career. Taking a smaller pay cut to start, while getting what I considered to be thorough training, was a positive.

I don't care about being treated like a human being, so I'm not the one to talk to there. To be perfectly honest, I'm happiest when they just leave me alone. I think every company says they 'care' but again you would have to talk to some people and trust your gut.

The benefits in year one will not blow anyone away. As previously mentioned, there is a reason for this. Turnover in the industry is high, and most people who wash out do so within the first year. Keeping first-year benefits basic and cheap keeps the costs down for those of us who stick around.

The training is, at least based on the research I did, better than average. Coming from an outside school, they would require a week of advanced training at Crowder College in Neosho, MO before going out with a trainer. When with a trainer, you are dispatched as a solo and the trainer is on line 4 for every hour that you drive. Eight hours of focused backing practice, plus various other 'this and that' are also required.

Now that I've typed all of that, I see that you're outside the CFI hiring area, but I typed it so I'm posting it. Hiring people outside the hiring area is a supply vs. demand thing. If they need drivers, they'll do it. If they are well-stocked, they won't. Drivers outside the hiring area aren't guaranteed to be home within five days of requesting time off, so that's another thing to consider.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbtubas

7. pot of gold

8. white unicorn

9. genie in a bottle

thats axactly what you will come to expect from atleast 3 out of 5 drivers l :lol: