User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

update:

The .35cpm is not hub miles it is pc miler 2% and with an apu

I'm waiting for more details on the hourly gig.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Wouldnt it depend on which jobs pay better weekly. Example, most of my jobs over here at JB are rand mcnally miles. However, occasionally I will get jobs open that pay hub miles. The rand mcnally miles job might pay more weekly, so wouldnt that be the better job? Im really surprised sometimes that some drivers would rather be able to get on the CB and brag that they are making hub miles than making more money. I say this because I see it happen. I swear if one of those hub miles job is open, I sometimes just say "this job is hub miles" and the driver will say, "I will take it" without even hearing what it pays weekly.
My point is that not all the best paying jobs are hub miles. And more than likely if a job is really easy for us to fill. It wont be the highest paying job.
Really after years of doing this job, Im convinced that if big companies like us switched to hub miles for every job and lowered our pay 10cpm, we would get more hires, even though those drivers would be making less money yearly.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Wouldnt it depend on which jobs pay better weekly. Example, most of my jobs over here at JB are rand mcnally miles. However, occasionally I will get jobs open that pay hub miles. The rand mcnally miles job might pay more weekly, so wouldnt that be the better job?
In order to be paid for 3,000 miles, a driver operating under HHG pyramid scheme must actually run 3,300. A driver paid off the hub will drive 3,000 miles and get paid for each and every one of those 3,000.

Thus, the HHG driver is working 10% more than the hub driver for the same pay. Only in trucking is this considered a good deal. Everywhere else, it's known as a HOSE JOB.

Quote:
Really after years of doing this job, Im convinced that if big companies like us switched to hub miles for every job and lowered our pay 10cpm, we would get more hires, even though those drivers would be making less money yearly.
Why not just switch to hub and give your drivers what they rightfully deserve? Why is it always pay-cuts with you McMega haulers?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM

The entire pay by mileage system sucks to be honest. Just about every other occupation is compensated on an hourly basis. If shippers were obligated to pay shipping charges based on a federal mandate that uses hourly wages as a basis, chances are there would be very few holding drivers at their docks for hours on end. But I'm just a dumb driver so what do I know. :sad:

Hi mom
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why not just switch to hub and give your drivers what they rightfully deserve? Why is it always pay-cuts with you McMega haulers?
Im just a recruiter, I dont make company policy. But I am smart enough to know why we pay rand mcnally miles. Because that is how we charge the customers. Its about compitition for freight. Say "company A" bids for a customers freight. They bid 1.45 per mile @ 1000 Rand Mcnally miles. And then say Company B bids for the same freight at 1100 hub miles....Who do you think gets that customer?
Here is a great idea for you Cold. Since you are so smart and know a better way to run a trucking company than us. Why dont you get busy, start your own company, become a "mega carrier" and pay all your drivers 50cpm at hub miles? If that is a better way run a company, you should knock us off the top pretty quickly.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Hourly pay for OTR would never work. "Sorry boss, conditions were just unsafe. It took me an extra three hours to get there."

Hub miles can work if you're running fixed lanes, but the guy who decides to cruise into a neighboring town so he can hit on the waitress at Applebee's would screw it up for everyone else anyway. "Just trying to avoid the construction boss."

I agree with Sheepdancer in the sense that the only number that matters is the number on the paycheck. There is a point at which the job is worth doing, and that point is different for every driver. If my pay fell below a level that I felt was worth my time, I would seek employment elsewhere. Whether that was a matter of my hourly overtime pay becoming insufficient, my cents per mile becoming insufficient, my miles driven becoming insufficient, or my load percentage pay becoming insufficient is entirely irrelevant in my opinion.

People constantly carp about how underpaid OTR drivers are. Sure, it would be great to make $500,000 a year with a free oriental massage at the end of each shift, but if the economics were behind it, we would all start trucking companies and become millionaires. As for me, this is the easiest job I've ever had and the money is fine. The day that changes, I'll move along.

In terms of the actual question - .35 hub or .41 HHG, you just have to do the math and see what makes you most comfortable. If .41 is the HHG pay, that's your starting point.

So, to boil it down, you get a 1,000 mile HHG dispatch. 1000*.41=$410.

To make the same $410 on the .35 hub pay, you would need to do run 1,171 miles (1171*.35=$409.85). If it actually only took you 1,100 miles, you would earn more by taking the HHG pay. If it actually took you 1,200 miles, you would make more being paid by the hub. Of course you could just take the hub pay and make sure you always go way out of route, but your employer would probably catch on quickly if they have any clue what they're doing.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Im just a recruiter, I dont make company policy. But I am smart enough to know why we pay rand mcnally miles. Because that is how we charge the customers. Its about compitition for freight. Say "company A" bids for a customers freight. They bid 1.45 per mile @ 1000 Rand Mcnally miles. And then say Company B bids for the same freight at 1100 hub miles....Who do you think gets that customer?
Here is a great idea for you Cold. Since you are so smart and know a better way to run a trucking company than us. Why dont you get busy, start your own company, become a "mega carrier" and pay all your drivers 50cpm at hub miles? If that is a better way run a company, you should knock us off the top pretty quickly.
Let me get this right.

After admitting that your sales department for your company SHAVES off the miles in order to get the contract, anotherwords, screwing the driver out of pay, you go and make yet another snide remark just because he doesn't agree with drivers being cheated out of pay? How about we start shaving what you get paid by 10%.....let's see how your a$$ would like it then. Oh yea, go ahead and lie by saying you would do it, and be happy. Just another comment proving your full of $hit.

Oh yea, JB does uses hub miles. The driver has to log the beginning miles and the ending miles for every trip, and is told that if he is over that 10% varience, they can be written up, and even terminated for it. So a driver for JB get screwed both ways. He drives more miles then paid for, then written up when he goes over their varience....which most of the time is already out by at least 10% before he moves the truck.

But it must be the drivers fault, right sheepdancer? Must be nice to live in your world. :roll:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
After admitting that your sales department for your company SHAVES off the miles in order to get the contract, anotherwords, screwing the driver of pay, you go and make yet another snide remark just because he doesn't agree with drivers being cheated out of pay? How about we start shaving what you get paid by 10%.....let's see how your a$$ would like it then. Oh yea, go ahead and lie by saying you would do it, and be happy. Just another comment proving your full of $hit.
My pay goes up and down all the time. Im a commissioned employee. Sometimes my commissions go up, sometimes they go down. And sometimes I do work for here for NO MONEY AT ALL. Example: That thread "ode to sheepdancer". I spent quite a bit of time helping that driver and didnt make one cent. Why am I not griping about being "cheated"? Because the big picture is "DOING WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THIS COMPANY PROFIT MORE AND MAKING THE STOCK GO UP" Just a few more years of working here and I will have aquired enough company stock that I will most likely be making more money from that than recruiting commissions.
The purpose of every single trucking company is one thing....TO KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY AND KEEP THE FREIGHT COMING. A company that pays hub miles but cant get the freight because they are being undercut by other companies DOESNT DO ANYONE ANY GOOD, INCLUDING THE DRIVERS.
I will suggest the same thing to you that I did ColdFrosty. If you think you know a better way to run a trucking company...GET BUSY AND DO IT. What you are doing now is like the coach of a last place JR high football team trying to tell the coach of the superbowl champions how to play football. It just doesnt fly.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
After admitting that your sales department for your company SHAVES off the miles in order to get the contract, anotherwords, screwing the driver of pay, you go and make yet another snide remark just because he doesn't agree with drivers being cheated out of pay? How about we start shaving what you get paid by 10%.....let's see how your a$$ would like it then. Oh yea, go ahead and lie by saying you would do it, and be happy. Just another comment proving your full of $hit.
My pay goes up and down all the time. Im a commissioned employee. Sometimes my commissions go up, sometimes they go down. And sometimes I do work for here for NO MONEY AT ALL. Example: That thread "ode to sheepdancer". I spent quite a bit of time helping that driver and didnt make one cent. Why am I not griping about being "cheated"? Because the big picture is "DOING WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THIS COMPANY PROFIT MORE AND MAKING THE STOCK GO UP" Just a few more years of working here and I will have aquired enough company stock that I will most likely be making more money from that than recruiting commissions.
The purpose of every single trucking company is one thing....TO KEEP THE CUSTOMER HAPPY AND KEEP THE FREIGHT COMING. A company that pays hub miles but cant get the freight because they are being undercut by other companies DOESNT DO ANYONE ANY GOOD, INCLUDING THE DRIVERS.
I will suggest the same thing to you that I did ColdFrosty. If you think you know a better way to run a trucking company...GET BUSY AND DO IT. What you are doing now is like the coach of a last place JR high football team trying to tell the coach of the superbowl champions how to play football. It just doesnt fly.
Like I said before. Your posting speaks more and louder about you than I ever could.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM