User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAtrukn
What two companies is he lookin to get on with? Im working the dock an driving the yard truck right now for UPS Freight until my Hazmat comes back in like a week or 2. Then ill drive for them if everything is goin right.
I hope you like working at UPS once you get driving!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
My husband had filled out the application for the job that was the dedicated run. While we were waiting to hear on that one I did an application on class a drivers for him. We also took a long shot and contacted System Transport and he put an application in there.

We called Gorden, and a couple others the answer came back once you have six months to a year accident free come back then. Davis Transport also called my husband after he filled out the application on CAD and last week he sent them his application.

We got a call around Wednesday last week from the one dedicated job in the morning saying it did not look good. Then later they called my husband and asked him for a copy of his unemployment verification. Then he called and asked for other papers so we were very hopeful. Then later in the afternoon or the next morning the call came in that he was turned down.

We talked to them some more at System Transport and then after they found out that the first accident was $19,000.00 damage WOW!!! on Monday morning they turned him down. At this point my husband felt as if his driving career was over and that no one would hire him. As a few of you people said on this site.

I believed what he told me about the director of the school how he had many connections and I remembered that he believed in no way was my husband's driving career ended.

My husband had been calling him and checking in with him about everyday to see if he had something but nothing came up. Allot of times they will have people call in and ask for drivers.

So Monday afternoon I stopped by the truck driving school. Will the director was out for lunch but the girl told me I could stop back. Just as I was almost ready to get in my minivan Will came walking up (I think he had his lunch with him in a bag).

He said "Hi! How is your guy doing?" I told him that was the reason why I had come down there. I told him that we were not getting anywhere and that we really could use his help. He said that if it did not have to be local or matter how long he was out he felt that he could be working very quickly. He told me to have my husband go down there every day even if it was for a few minutes. I told him I know that the phone thing is not good because when you are busy you forget. It is the nature of having a business. You have a million things going on. So he asked if my husband applied at Swift I told him Swift was 1 accident. He told me to have him come in and they would do some applications.

When I came home I told my husband and he just had an attitude like nothing would help but he went in and filled out an application for Swift.

We had quite a talk about attitude and I told him that I believed what he had said about Will and I believed Will. I told him I was sure that he this was not the first time something like that had happened in his 10 years of being a Director at the Sage school.

So yesterday Tuesday morning after he took the kids to school in the morning he stopped by Sage. Will got on the phone and spoke to someone he knew at Central Refrigerated and the guy told my husband to be ready to possibly take the bus this weekend. He ran his dac and got all of his information. He told my husband he would call him back either today or tomorrow.

Will also gave my husband another application to fill out for a local company that went OTR.

Within two hours after my husband got home he got a call from Davis Transport. She said that they had discussed things with safety and being his first solo trip out they felt that maybe he had not had enough training to handle his situation.
She said that she had known Will for a long time and that she had called the school regarding my husband: She said Will gave my husband a high recommendation and that in all the years that she had known Will that he has never steered her wrong. Will had also told her that he thought my husband was going to get an offer from Central she told my husband she would either get back to him yesterday afternoon or today that she was going to try and put together an offer for employment for him.

Today this early afternoon my husband got a call from Central Refrigerated they wanted to get him a ticket on the bus and wanted to know what time he wanted. He told he would get back with them.

Then he was unsure which company to go with. Central pays .02 more a mile. But at Davis it is a smaller company and runs through the I-90 quite a bit. So he called Will to seek his advice and he said that he felt like Davis Transport would be a better choice for him at this time.

He has accepted the offer from Davis Transport and we are waiting to hear his bus schedule. He will more than likely be going this weekend. He will train for 6 weeks and he is welcoming it at this point. BOL!!!

Will at Sage really came through for us! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife

Pulling a skateboard is a whole different world!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 10-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors

We talked to them some more at System Transport and then after they found out that the first accident was $19,000.00 damage WOW!!!

He will train for 6 weeks and he is welcoming it at this point. BOL!!!

Will at Sage really came through for us! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife

Pulling a skateboard is a whole different world!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

A tree and light pole are not cheap. From the beginning I thought it would have been that much. I think if May had known how much it was going to be he would have been terminated on first solo run.

Six weeks training will be good for my husband at this point, especially with winter coming on. And he will have to learn load securment.

Pulling a skateboard will be a new adventure for him.:wink: But at least he is still in trucking and will have a chance to get this mess turned around.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Board Member

If it were me I'd dispute the amount of damage they claim the pole and tree was. They could be padding the bill and making money on it. After all they hire illegals to put the tree in and the pole was used. The file a lawsuit for the stress and diminished health that was caused.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick
Can your husband tell me how many miles the May drivers were getting.

Again congrates, as I have been lifting you up in thoughts n prayers.
Dipstick,
I have heard that the 11 Western at May Trucking is slowing down. One person got 1400 miles two weeks ago and another person only got 1100 miles this week.

I do not if the refer side is more busy. I hope so for the drivers sake. OverTheRoad has requested to go to the Refer side. You can ask him at his web-site.

Take Care,
Goin Fer It
Old 10-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
If it were me I'd dispute the amount of damage they claim the pole and tree was. They could be padding the bill and making money on it. After all they hire illegals to put the tree in and the pole was used. The file a lawsuit for the stress and diminished health that was caused.
I would not be surprised if they were padding it some. I do not know how many estimates they got. Since May Trucking is paying for it there is not much we can dispute.

In dealing with insurance issues in the past they can pay out whether you are right or wrong just to save the cost of the lawsuit and then charge you more.

When I was younger I was making a left turn at light and I was pulled out some over the crosswalk. A guy about 19 years old was jamming on a 10 speed. He could not control his bike and told me he had a choice between hitting me or a truck. I was at a dead stop. The insurance company paid him anyway. It really burned me. Any legal action would have been extremely expensive and timely.

Sometimes you just have eat it.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
My husband is a newbie and has only been there less than a week. But his trainer said that before he was a trainer he was averaging 3000 miles a week.

Now if my husband once he is on his own can average 3,000 mile a week at .32 a mile that will gross $960.00 a week if he did average that his first year of income would be $51,930. All calculations include pay increases at 6 and 9 months.

In the middle is around 2,800 a week that would put his gross yearly at $48,468.

Even if he only made 2,500 miles a week gross income would be $43,275 a year with the pay increases at 6 and 9 months.

Good Luck!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Goin Fer It, you seem to have it all figured out. Just a piece of advice, don't start spending all that money just yet. I know the horror stories are just idiots who weren't as smart as you and your husband, but give your husband some time before you start banking on 2500-3000 miles EVERY week.

Give us his success story at month 3 or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick
Can your husband tell me how many miles the May drivers were getting.
Quote:
Dipstick,
I have heard that the 11 Western at May Trucking is slowing down. One person got 1400 miles two weeks ago and another person only got 1100 miles this week.

Take Care,
Goin Fer It
I thought you had it all figured out?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash

I thought you had it all figured out?
I do know that my husband was making far more in trucking than he was at his previous job. And even at the low rate at Davis he will probably be making double what he was at his old job, once he begins driving.

As I have said if you don't like the money or the job leave it.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

FLASH

By the way you are also not taking into consideration the previous weeks or months of 2800-3000 miles per a week. Which would average out depending upon how many slow weeks there are. We were speaking of getting at least 2500 miles a week which many drivers do average. You seem to think that is a difficult thing. How many miles do you average a week?

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Rookie

You still don't get it.

All I was trying to tell you was that this business was filled with curve balls, from miles being short some weeks to 2 at fault accidents in 3 weeks. This is the kind of industry where your income can vary a lot from week to week and in your husband's case, no income at all for a few weeks.

One more thing, I don't think you have any idea how much pressure you put on your husband by totaling what he should be making by the week and year. He takes a tremendous leap of faith and goes into a new career and you break out the calculator. Imagine how bad he felt when he lost his job with May especially after you had all but put the money in the bank in your mind. Honestly, he may have figured out that he wasn't as inclined to drive trucks as much you both thought, but there was no way he could have told you that and you accepted it.

Think about it.