User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: May Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
I haven't seen a thread for May Trucking as of yet, so I figured I'd open one. I'm to start orientation with them on 7/24. I'll will keep everybody posted on the process. I encourage anybody chime in concerning this company and related topics. Hopefully I can relay some helpful info. to anybody that's interested.
Thanks for the thread on May and info generated from it "Goin Fer It"!! This has helped make up my mind on who I want to go drive for when I get my CDL in 2 more weeks. Going to school in Phx at SWTDT. Finish up classroom tomorrow and start learning how to drive next week. Can't wait to actually get into a truck and grind up some gears! lol I talked to a recruiter at May today and gave her my info and she said everthing looked good. Very nice recruiter. (Opal) I haven't decided on regional or 48 state otr. Have actually never been east driving but once and that was long ago. Love the western US and thats where all my family and friends are. Probably just go western for the first 6 mo then go 48 state. May seems to be a very good company. Yesterday, a new May hire, who is also a newbie from SWTDT, stopped by the school in between loads to say hi. He had high praise for May. Loves it there. Has been with em 8 weeks. He helped me decide also. Was leaning hard for Gordon (Washington), and deboer and H.O.Wolding outa Wisconsin. Wolding has a dedicated run that goes from Phx-Flag-LA back and forth and it gives you good hometime and more hometime if you want, just tell em. They are a small co and are very driver friendly from what the recruiter says. Have to take truck to Wisconsin every 30,000 mi for service, which ain't no big deal. lotsa miles. deBoer sounds good also as they have flatbed fleet and that keeps you outa of grocery warehouses which from what I hear, Sucks! There is so many oppotunities out there for truck drivers and so many companies, its hard to pick.
What kinda truck is your husband in? I sure would like to get into one of Mays new Pete 387's but as a newbie I doubt that would happen. I don't know much about any but I know whats looks good and that new Pete does. I think I would rather have a Freightliner Century over the Volvo or Pete 379. Mainly going on looks though. Whats the best?? Gettin kinda long winded here so I will end this posT. Thanks again for May info ya'll.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I finally was able to update my website. Pictures are coming later today.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
I haven't seen a thread for May Trucking as of yet, so I figured I'd open one. I'm to start orientation with them on 7/24. I'll will keep everybody posted on the process. I encourage anybody chime in concerning this company and related topics. Hopefully I can relay some helpful info. to anybody that's interested.
Thanks for the thread on May and info generated from it "Goin Fer It"!! This has helped make up my mind on who I want to go drive for when I get my CDL in 2 more weeks. Going to school in Phx at SWTDT. Finish up classroom tomorrow and start learning how to drive next week. Can't wait to actually get into a truck and grind up some gears! lol I talked to a recruiter at May today and gave her my info and she said everthing looked good. Very nice recruiter. (Opal) I haven't decided on regional or 48 state otr. Have actually never been east driving but once and that was long ago. Love the western US and thats where all my family and friends are. Probably just go western for the first 6 mo then go 48 state. May seems to be a very good company. Yesterday, a new May hire, who is also a newbie from SWTDT, stopped by the school in between loads to say hi. He had high praise for May. Loves it there. Has been with em 8 weeks. He helped me decide also. Was leaning hard for Gordon (Washington), and deboer and H.O.Wolding outa Wisconsin. Wolding has a dedicated run that goes from Phx-Flag-LA back and forth and it gives you good hometime and more hometime if you want, just tell em. They are a small co and are very driver friendly from what the recruiter says. Have to take truck to Wisconsin every 30,000 mi for service, which ain't no big deal. lotsa miles. deBoer sounds good also as they have flatbed fleet and that keeps you outa of grocery warehouses which from what I hear, Sucks! There is so many oppotunities out there for truck drivers and so many companies, its hard to pick.
What kinda truck is your husband in? I sure would like to get into one of Mays new Pete 387's but as a newbie I doubt that would happen. I don't know much about any but I know whats looks good and that new Pete does. I think I would rather have a Freightliner Century over the Volvo or Pete 379. Mainly going on looks though. Whats the best?? Gettin kinda long winded here so I will end this posT. Thanks again for May info ya'll.
nobotox, I just hired on with May out of the phoenix terminal. I live up in northern AZ. Prescott to be exact.
I drive a Volvo 770. I love the truck but other May drivers tell me they have some problems. Right now they do not have any Pete 387 available. Peterbilt is back ordered about 2 months. It takes the May mechanics about a week to turn out 2 trucks and they have 150 on order. Its going to take them a long time to get 150 trucks setup and out on the road. MTC does a very good job of getting you in a truck that you like. It might take a few weeks or a month but even as a newbie you might get a brand new truck. Its whatever you really want. Good luck

PS, feel free to keep asking questions... tons of knowledge on this message board.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Thursday my husband did his midnight drop. He went by the truck stop but it was all full. Then he found a safe place to park for the night.

He picked up a load this morning at 9:00 in the Tacoma area and is going to Kennewick, Wa then to Clarksville, Washington. He has another load set to leave Lewiston Idaho down to Tracy California once he makes this drop.

At this point he is really having to watch his time. He keeps getting hours daily but has to make sure he does not drive over the hours. He so far has not been reset and he is planning on keeping watch so that he does not hit a reset.

He really loves driving and still is very pleased working for May Trucking.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Your welcome for the thread! My husband is driving a 378 Pete it is a short nosed 379. I know he would love one of the 387's also! Maybe next month he will put in a request. I know that the pipes on the 379 did block the view of part of the trailer the night he had the accident. He was told he could have them extend the mirrors. I do not know if they did or not.

Last night his drop was at a Fred Meyer outlet. He did say he did not like the drop because it was not the easiest to dock. But he took his time. The one he said was the worst was a Lowes. He said it was very very tight. It took him about 45 minutes because if he was not sure he got out.

I told him today that the more he does it the easier it will get for him.
While there are many opportunities out there I hear so many people that do not seem to care for the company they work for.

We like May Trucking and feel that it was the right choice for us.

Welcome aboard

Please keep us updated on what is going on!

Soon we will have a whole lot of May people on this board!

Goin Fer It's Wife

PS. Tell them about the thread I would love to see a recruiter on her for questions that I cannot answer.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 AM

OverTheRoad, thanks for the info on May trucks. I saw a May truck bobtailing on my way home from school liitle while ago. I think it was a freightliner. Sure do like there paint scheme. Sure wished I was in it!
I'll pretty much be happy with whatever they give me(if I get hired of course) no matter if its a peterbilt,freightliner or Volvo. The lead trainer at school today said what you said about Volvos having little problems as that is what he has heard also. Hey, i drive a 1973 chev van with 300,000 miles on it so no matter what kinda truck I get to drive it will probably be a big step up from that. And i still love my chevy van!!
So you live in Prescott eh. How can you stand the cold weather up there in the summer?? Not to mention the winters!! lol
I agree with you about tons of knowledge available here. If it weren't for boards like this and others I would have just jumped right into this business. I started to do just that in oct 05. I was getting ready to go up to Salt Lake to attend Englands school. From what I have read I am glad I didn't. Ended up working for UPS as a seasonal package delivery driver. Then I got rehired in May-06 to be a full time driver (I worked outa the Tempe terminal at Xmas and Phx in May) but after 30 days of them trying to force me to quit or fail they disqualified me for the position with some BS that I wasn't picking it up fast enough. Thats after they said i did a great job over Christmas. I say force me to quit or fail as they were purposely giving me a route that would have taken an experienced driver 8 hours to do but only giving me 6.5 hours to get it done. (And I was getting it done in 8-9 hours)The truth be known, they wanted me to fail because of my age and I got that from a guy that befriended me there with 30 yrs on the job. He was amazed that I was there at all because he said UPS doesn't hire people my age to deliver packages. Mostly they hire from within also. I am 56 and it really bugged them that I could keep up with the younger drivers. Even though I nearly had a heat stroke a couple times, I never gave up and I never called in sick. If I could have proved age descrimination I would have sued em, but they surely didn't say that was the reason for disqualification. Anyway,I also nearly headed off to Stevens in Dallas to there school just 4 weeks ago and I am glad I didn't, just from what I have learned here. I am not saying either of those co's are bad to work for but I don't want to take a chance on going somewhere far away just to find out it isn't going to work and then be stuck there with no money and no way to get home.
From info gleamed from here I decided to get myself through school on my own without signing a contract with a co for 1 or 2 years that I didn't like or wasn't making any money with. Money and happiness are important! Somehow SouthWest Truck Driver School got me financed and now I can pick where I want to go pretty much. I am grateful to them. They are training me to be a safe and professional driver, which i may not of gotten at a company cdl mill school.
So maybe in a fews weeks I'll join you on the May payroll. I am choosing May as they (from what I have heard) are tops in safety and professionality and they treat their drivers with respect.
And if I get hired by them and somehow get a Brand New Peterbilt 387 then I know I'd be happy as a pig in slop!! Heck, actually I be happy just to get hired and start making some money at this point! later, nobotox
Old 09-16-2006, 04:40 AM

Your welcome for the thread! My husband is driving a 378 Pete it is a short nosed 379. I know he would love one of the 387's also! Maybe next month he will put in a request. I know that the pipes on the 379 did block the view of part of the trailer the night he had the accident. He was told he could have them extend the mirrors. I do not know if they did or not.

Last night his drop was at a Fred Meyer outlet. He did say he did not like the drop because it was not the easiest to dock. But he took his time. The one he said was the worst was a Lowes. He said it was very very tight. It took him about 45 minutes because if he was not sure he got out.

I told him today that the more he does it the easier it will get for him.
While there are many opportunities out there I hear so many people that do not seem to care for the company they work for.

We like May Trucking and feel that it was the right choice for us.

Welcome aboard

Please keep us updated on what is going on!

Soon we will have a whole lot of May people on this board!

Goin Fer It's Wife

PS. Tell them about the thread I would love to see a recruiter on her for

questions that I cannot answer.[/quote

Hi Goin Fer Its Wife, Thanks for the welcome aboard, Hope I soon get the welcome aboard from May also.
Sounds like your husband has gotten past the light pole incident good and it is great May kept him on. Sounds like he's getting pretty good miles. Best of luck to him.
I pretty much spilled my guts on that last post I made to OverTheRoad. I did check out his website also. Pretty nice OTR, where the pictures at?? :wink:
Next time I talk to the May recruiter I will tell her of this thread on May. Actually, I already mentioned it to her but didn't tell her the thread name or url!! Later have a nice weekend nobotox
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hi Goin Fer Its Wife, Thanks for the welcome aboard, Hope I soon get the welcome aboard from May also.
Sounds like your husband has gotten past the light pole incident good and it is great May kept him on. Sounds like he's getting pretty good miles. Best of luck to him.
I pretty much spilled my guts on that last post I made to OverTheRoad. I did check out his website also. Pretty nice OTR, where the pictures at?? :wink:
Next time I talk to the May recruiter I will tell her of this thread on May. Actually, I already mentioned it to her but didn't tell her the thread name or url!! Later have a nice weekend nobotox
I understand the politics of business! You were used for their busy time but they may not have had a full time position to offer you, therefore they made up an excuse after the busy time to release you. I do not believe age discrimination had anything to do with it. It was the fact that they were to weak to tell you the truth upfront because they wanted to ensure the fact that they had enough employees to fill the busy period.

So far May Company Trucking has been true in what they have told us. They have not swayed. The time out we knew in advanced. I have pm's from people who have spoken to May and have wanted more home time and they have said no. But May Trucking has been upfront and honest with us.

My husband did hook another truckers bumper the other day. He went into a pull-thru and knew it was tight. He thought he was okay but then he saw a drop or a groove after he pulled in that he needed to back out of. He looked in the mirror as he was backing but just as he checked his second mirror he hooked the other trucks bumper. He did 0% damage to his truck but the other drivers bumper he bent up. He did report it immediately. He has still not spoken to the saftely director.

Needless to say we were concerned because of his last incident. But he passed by Brooks and they did not take the truck and still allowed him other routes. It looks like they have given him another chance.

My husband has told me that he has been very watchful of what he pulls into and his surroundings. He has attempted to very careful of where he pulls in and how.

I do know that he wishes his trainer worked on more with him. When you go to May Tucking they give the trainer a list. My husband said his trainer more or less handed the list to him. Most of the things on the list the trainer did not work on him with.

I believe that there are many good trainers at May Trucking Company-- I just believe that from what I have heard my husband could have gotten a better one. My husband did say that he felt that his trainer was more interested in running team than showing him and teaching him what was on the list--this is against Mays policy. Make your trainer show you and work with you. If he does not it will reflect on the review that you give your trainer.

One thing about older people they understand and have experienced life , although they may not be bold with the trainers they will tell the truth in the evaluation of them so that it will not effect the other people in the same way. Either the trainer will improve or he will no longer be a trainer.

I will say this from the many threads we have read on this forum his trainer was great but he just felt he should have trained him and taught him all the things on the list. My husband once designed a program and was a trainer for the cable company so this might lead to higher expectations of the trainer.

My feelings on it are if a company has a list they want the people to learn these important skills. They should be trained in them.

I think you will enjoy working with May Trucking Company. There has only been one person on the board that has said something bad. I hope they let us know the follow up.

Iceman has had 20 years experience and has been an O/O and his wife said he did not care for the Qualcom. I know that in cable they have been tracking them this way more than ten years ago. Welcome to the new America. But I also understand that they must as business owners. If Iceman had a trucking business he would track them also. You have to know a-days where your product is and what your employees are doing. It is also more efficient for the owner. And with people these days it sad to say you must track them.

I only hope Iceman stayed with May Trucking Company and will become an O/O with the lease plan. They also ship the loads so that customers know where their product is. I have used tracking with Ups so that I would know were and when my orders arrive. I understand if he could not get use to the program. Twenty years ago many things were different. But he will not get satisfaction from companies that do not offer tracking for the customer. The miles in general will not be as much.

I have also read were many people feel like a number at other companies and are treated very bad; at May Trucking there are now others can confirm that they do not feel that way. I think you will enjoy working with them. They are far better than most companies out there and they pay better than most companies.

I spoke with Opal once she seems very nice. Keep in contact and you will more than likely become part of May Trucking Company.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I am checking Over The Roads website as well. I can't wait to see his pictures! I think he will do very well on his website and in everything. He is a good person or so it seems from my contact with him.

Goin For It's Wife
Old 09-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok the pictures are up.... sorry for the wait.

Mind you I have only been on two loads with May and that took a total of 3 days. I leave out again on Monday so I will continue to shoot pictures and post them on the site. I just signed up for internet at a few of the truckstops.... so I think I shall be able to update more often.

nobotox..... when you make it over to May be sure to talk with Goin Fer It's wife and get her husbands name and truck number. Tell your recruiter to put him down for the recruiting bonus... its only 50 bucks but its the least we can do for the two of them.

Keep us posted nobotox.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Hey Guys! I got busy for a couple of days. Had to catch up with your posts. The Iceman is finally settling in with May (sigh of relief!). Right now he just finished a drop in Spokane, WA, then to Lewiston, ID. Last 7 days he got 2900 miles. Short of his 3000 because they shut the freeway down. Overall he says that his temp dispatcher is doing well, he's getting good pre-plan on loads, and May is much more efficient and smooth than KKW was. He is still learning the Comdata and Qual procedures. For instance, I had to get some Comdata checks, withdraw from card in order to deposit into our checking. I'm the money person and he just doesn't want to deal with that stuff. Our automatic deposit isn't active yet, probably next week. Now, how do I go online to view his pay settlements? Next step is to find out in detail how their lease-purchase program operates. This may not be right for some people, but we don't have the cash, or credit for that matter for about another year, to just finance a new tractor. Just got out of the hole with the rig we sold. Boy, learned some lessons there! So, considering that we will probably lease option a house in Vancouver, WA for a year, having the lease-purchase in place will at least give us more income and write-offs. I will do a new LLC (dissolved the one in NV), and hopefully we can make some inroads. Stay tuned on that one! Also, he HAS to have his dog with him :lol:, which I will be most grateful for! I have two Jack Russel Terriorists at home which is enough.

Best to All,
Iceman's Wife