User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shaffer, SRT, Marten

I've read the various posts on these companies, but I can't find the specific information I'm looking for. I drove for USF Glen Moore but left them because of the short runs I was always getting. I'd signed on for national long haul but rarely got east of the Mississippi. My runs averaged about 500 miles, and usually had a delivery time of a couple of days. You can't make much money that way. I want to run out southwest (I live in NE Penn.) and back here to the east coast, and so I'm looking at reefer companies. SRT says their average run is 1200 miles. I've spoken with Shaffer but they won't give me a mileage number, and Marten I really don't know too much about. I've read good things about SRT but their score is low on this site's rating board. Why is that?? Shaffer pays well, but a driver friend of mine said most of the runs are again on the east coast. Their pay may be good but you don't get the miles. I only have 6 mo. experience so Shaffer is going to put me with a trainer again for another 4 weeks. Marten and SRT both said I would also have to go with a trainer, but the time frame depends on how well I do. My main concern is to find a company that will let me run far west on a regular basis, with occasional runs east. Do these companies do that? Which do, that will take a driver with 6 mos experience? Since the majority of recruiters lie I was hoping to get the straight stuff from other drivers. Thanks for any help.....
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Board Member

when i was with Marten, i ran mostly the I-80 corridor from PA to CA. made great miles most weeks. had good dispatcher, truck, hometime, pay, etc... no complaints from me, except i needed to run south more.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input WildK9. I too would rather run south, at least in winter, but 80 isn't bad once you get past Chicago. Speaking of K9, I guess they don't allow dogs or other pets in their tractors. SRT also says no, but the one recruiter told me they will if you pay a non-refundable 500 bucks. I think my dog is going to stay home at that price.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 AM

No make no mistake, 500 beans to take your pup with is a small price to pay for security. I have an 80lbs boxer that goes where i go. Any company doesnt get me without my dog. SRT is the company i am referring to.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Rookie

I have a Black Lab/Husky that clocks in at 80# also. How do you get such a big pooch in and out of the tractor?? I haven't had the opportunity to take mine with me yet, but now with SRT I'll be able to.