User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

With Davis Transport He will run COAST TO COAST there average length of haul is over 1700 miles!!!! so you can make very good money with Davis Transport, and they are a smaller company so with your husband having limited experience 1 on 1 will be very good............Congratulations!!! cant wait to hear about his experiences at Davis Transport. They have smaller trucks(bunks)
Old 10-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
With Davis Transport He will run COAST TO COAST there average length of haul is over 1700 miles!!!! so you can make very good money with Davis Transport, and they are a smaller company so with your husband having limited experience 1 on 1 will be very good............Congratulations!!! cant wait to hear about his experiences at Davis Transport. They have smaller trucks(bunks)
We heard about the smaller trucks also! But we are still happy!

Thanks for the congratulations and the information on Davis! I have already started a new thread and I will be reporting on it. Thanks for all the support and well wishes!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
You still don't get it.

All I was trying to tell you was that this business was filled with curve balls, from miles being short some weeks to 2 at fault accidents in 3 weeks. This is the kind of industry where your income can vary a lot from week to week and in your husband's case, no income at all for a few weeks.

One more thing, I don't think you have any idea how much pressure you put on your husband by totaling what he should be making by the week and year. He takes a tremendous leap of faith and goes into a new career and you break out the calculator. Imagine how bad he felt when he lost his job with May especially after you had all but put the money in the bank in your mind. Honestly, he may have figured out that he wasn't as inclined to drive trucks as much you both thought, but there was no way he could have told you that and you accepted it.

Think about it.
No you do not get it! It is called planning and budgeting. Making realistic goals. Now as far as putting pressure on my husband what should we do say well however much we make is just fine?

When you have three children and bills to pay you need to have some idea of what your income is going to be. And even with the curve balls you still need an idea. When it is more you set some aside for when the times it is less. And the money was not going in the bank it was going for bills. Should I have told the companies do not put pressure on my husband do not tell us how much we have to pay? Somehow I do not think they care about what type of pressure they put on people as long as they get their money.

You sound very young without much need to plan your finances.

With the Chapter 7 we now need to file because of the job loss our pressures will become less. But even still we need to have an idea of what our income will be and plan accordingly.

My husband loves driving and his driving is not bad. Just needs to use common sense and be better prepared for the times when he does get into bad situations.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You still don't get it.

All I was trying to tell you was that this business was filled with curve balls, from miles being short some weeks to 2 at fault accidents in 3 weeks. This is the kind of industry where your income can vary a lot from week to week and in your husband's case, no income at all for a few weeks.

One more thing, I don't think you have any idea how much pressure you put on your husband by totaling what he should be making by the week and year. He takes a tremendous leap of faith and goes into a new career and you break out the calculator. Imagine how bad he felt when he lost his job with May especially after you had all but put the money in the bank in your mind. Honestly, he may have figured out that he wasn't as inclined to drive trucks as much you both thought, but there was no way he could have told you that and you accepted it.

Think about it.

one of the stupidest things ive read this week :roll:
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Rookie

First of all, I wanted to say that after I read Goin Fer It's wife's explanation of why she had figured the income by the week and year it made sense. I still stand behind my statement that until someone has been a driver for at least a few months it is next to impossible to really have an understanding of the job and pay.

As far as 2 at fault accidents in the FIRST 3 weeks solo I think there is 1 of 3 scenarios happening.

#1 He tried to be a super trucker from the start, not wanting anyone to know he was new and not taking the extra time and using GOAL as any newbie should. Instead he whipped his truck around the way he saw his trainer and other experienced drivers do.

#2 He totally panics when he gets in a bad situation and instead of stopping to gauge the situation he just keeps going and hopes for the best.

#3 He is just so absent minded and unaware of his surroundings that he is major accident waiting to happen.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
First of all, I wanted to say that after I read Goin Fer It's wife's explanation of why she had figured the income by the week and year it made sense. I still stand behind my statement that until someone has been a driver for at least a few months it is next to impossible to really have an understanding of the job and pay.

As far as 2 at fault accidents in the FIRST 3 weeks solo I think there is 1 of 3 scenarios happening.

#1 He tried to be a super trucker from the start, not wanting anyone to know he was new and not taking the extra time and using GOAL as any newbie should. Instead he whipped his truck around the way he saw his trainer and other experienced drivers do.

#2 He totally panics when he gets in a bad situation and instead of stopping to gauge the situation he just keeps going and hopes for the best.

#3 He is just so absent minded and unaware of his surroundings that he is major accident waiting to happen.
ok what can u say he was a new driver... i wouldnt call what he did being a supertrucker

and alot of people gauge what they make in a week and multiply that for the year, so what? stuff happens
Old 10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
ok what can u say he was a new driver... i wouldnt call what he did being a supertrucker

and alot of people gauge what they make in a week and multiply that for the year, so what? stuff happens
Thank you Marcel I could not have said it better! Do you know anyone who worked for Davis? You seem to know allot about them.

Thanks,

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM

ive been solo with may for about 3 weeks.... i could tell 11 western wasnt going to pay good so I switched to over the road.. well miles isnt the hard thing to do. I could do 3,000 easy... what the problem is is delivering the load. I consistantly get to the cosginee in plenty of time , but they arent open so I get there saturday and have to wait til monday... i would say a good average is 2500 miles a week and not 3000 with appointment times coming into the whole situation.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyazz
ive been solo with may for about 3 weeks.... i could tell 11 western wasnt going to pay good so I switched to over the road.. well miles isnt the hard thing to do. I could do 3,000 easy... what the problem is is delivering the load. I consistantly get to the cosginee in plenty of time , but they arent open so I get there saturday and have to wait til monday... i would say a good average is 2500 miles a week and not 3000 with appointment times coming into the whole situation.
Slow down unless you can arrive early enough for a 34 hour restart. You can have less issues with the 70 hour rule if you keep lines 3 & 4 under 10 hours total per day.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Board Regular
Default and the saga continues......

ALL RIGHT, the story continues !! Glad your back Going Fer It's wife ! Now I finally have something to read on line at the hotel again ! (other than the Arizona Republic). Glad to hear your husband got a second chance. Just remind him every time he calls to just take it slow and easy this time. There won't be a third chance....Getting out and looking in EVERY "doubtful" situation is the ONLY way to make it through 20 years without an accident. No-one should ever try to "macho" their way out of a bad situation. After 28 years, I have no pride about stopping and assessing a situation. I pull doubles/triples and I have absolutely NO problem about breaking them up and turning around for those rare times I screw up and get my self in a bad situation. (and I occasionally STILL do just that). It's better than paper work and a drug test. Heck, Brown writes us up if we hit a broom in the yard...Best of luck again, keep us posted !!