LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB JR.
I went with Watkins Shepard and they pretty much just handed me the keys to a truck and said dont crash into anything a few years back! Well, I maybe at a different outfit now, but I still haven't crashed into anything!

It will be tough to get hired on with a decent carrier having 2 preventables in such a short period of time. Your husband might become limited to companies like CR England until he gets some time under his belt. This is a job where you cant just jump into the truck and hold a wheel. There's a lot more to it then that at times. The recently terminated May driver's problem sounds more like he didn't take the time to examine the area before making a move.

Schools will do anything to make an extra buck. Take this director's words with a grain of salt and do your own researching at the same time.
Well CA earlier on the thread said he has had three. He is still with Watkins Shepards. Much of this will depend on the insurance and who will give my husband a chance.

My husband said that the director of his school has many connections and he has seen him in the past get students on when no one else would take them. He really seems to care and I know for a fact that Systems has a very high regard for him as they told me as soon as I mentioned the schools name. They stated " Oh ---- does such a good job over there!"

Anyhow time will tell and I will definitely update the thread!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Yes ... time will tell, then reality will set in. Good Luck!!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB JR.
I went with Watkins Shepard and they pretty much just handed me the keys to a truck and said dont crash into anything a few years back! Well, I maybe at a different outfit now, but I still haven't crashed into anything!

It will be tough to get hired on with a decent carrier having 2 preventables in such a short period of time. Your husband might become limited to companies like CR England until he gets some time under his belt. This is a job where you cant just jump into the truck and hold a wheel. There's a lot more to it then that at times. The recently terminated May driver's problem sounds more like he didn't take the time to examine the area before making a move.

Schools will do anything to make an extra buck. Take this director's words with a grain of salt and do your own researching at the same time.
Well CA earlier on the thread said he has had three. He is still with Watkins Shepards. Much of this will depend on the insurance and who will give my husband a chance.

My husband said that the director of his school has many connections and he has seen him in the past get students on when no one else would take them. He really seems to care and I know for a fact that Systems has a very high regard for him as they told me as soon as I mentioned the schools name. They stated " Oh ---- does such a good job over there!"

Anyhow time will tell and I will definitely update the thread!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Wow...this is pretty hostile. I agree with CB, however...when I began my driving career, I was put into a 1978 Ford C-Series box truck with a 24' trailer and told to go pack and load 2700 lbs of some families crap. And, over time, I developed skills which have enabled me to get hired on with better carriers. It's infuriating to see you seemingly bring the entirety of the blame back to the trainer.

Regardless of whether the trainer was worth his guff or not, your husband has undoubtedly heard the phrase "GOAL" (Get Out And Look) and had ample opportunity to make it out of both situations without the nasty consequences that ensued. For example, on my 3rd trip OTR, I was dispatched for a 4AM delivery in Hunts Point Market, NY...the Bronx to clarify. I spent nearly 3 hours lost in an area that is undeniable one of the worst environments to operate a large truck, and even at one point had to back down a one way street...and yet I got the load delivered on-time without causing an accident.

There are countless times a new driver will have problems adjusting to the size of the vehicle, and will need to make adjustments to safely negotiate tight spaces, such as in a pull-through. However, if care and time are observed, these adjustments are easy to make. There should be no reason a driver should back while not watching "problem areas" continuously. If the said "problem areas" cannot be observed, he should have slowed down or stopped until he was certain there was clearance available to him.

CDL Schools are exactly that: They teach you how to get a CDL. They don't, however, teach you how to drive. Most "School Directors" make promises they have no intention of even attempting to keep.

Driving in itself is in a very large way, self taught. Many aspects of the safe and efficient operation of the truck depend on personal experience that can only be purveyed in general terms. No rookie driver should ever anticipate that their hand will be held during and after training.

The fact of the matter is that most carriers will not accept applicants with two or more "preventable" accidents per calendar year. Your CDL School can't change that. And regardless of whether the two tickets in California are DOT reportable or not, they will appear on your husbands DAC report. Had they been reportable, their main effect would have been to May's DOT Safety Rating.

It's great to be loyal, but out-rightly and blatantly blaming your husbands mistakes on others is uncalled for. The simple lack of responsibility in your posts defines what I feel is one of the bigger drags on the industry to date.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

kjbprd,

VERY well put!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I will be reporting either later this evening or tomorrow evening!

Some good news finally my husband WILL still be driving a truck and it Could Not Have Happened without the Director of the Schools HELP!!!

Thank you for all the prayers from you that have prayed for us!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Some good news finally my husband WILL still be driving a truck and it Could Not Have Happened without the Director of the Schools HELP!!!
Thats great! With whom and when does he start?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

That is what I will report later. He is waiting for a second offer and will decide between the two companies. The first one offered him a position and wants to get him on a shuttle this Sunday.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Board Regular

What two companies is he lookin to get on with? Im working the dock an driving the yard truck right now for UPS Freight until my Hazmat comes back in like a week or 2. Then ill drive for them if everything is goin right.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

My husband had filled out the application for the job that was the dedicated run. While we were waiting to hear on that one I did an application on class a drivers for him. We also took a long shot and contacted System Transport and he put an application in there.

We called Gorden, and a couple others the answer came back once you have six months to a year accident free come back then. Davis Transport also called my husband after he filled out the application on CAD and last week he sent them his application.

We got a call around Wednesday last week from the one dedicated job in the morning saying it did not look good. Then later they called my husband and asked him for a copy of his unemployment verification. Then he called and asked for other papers so we were very hopeful. Then later in the afternoon or the next morning the call came in that he was turned down.

We talked to them some more at System Transport and then after they found out that the first accident was $19,000.00 damage on Monday morning they turned him down. At this point my husband felt as if his driving career was over and that no one would hire him. As a few of you people said on this site.

I believed what he told me about the director of the school how he had many connections and I remembered that he believed in no way was my husband's driving career ended.

My husband had been calling him and checking in with him about everyday to see if he had something but nothing came up. Allot of times they will have people call in and ask for drivers.

So Monday afternoon I stopped by the truck driving school. Will the director was out for lunch but the girl told me I could stop back. Just as I was almost ready to get in my minivan Will came walking up (I think he had his lunch with him in a bag).

He said "Hi! How is your guy doing?" I told him that was the reason why I had come down there. I told him that we were not getting anywhere and that we really could use his help. He said that if it did not have to be local or matter how long he was out he felt that he could be working very quickly. He told me to have my husband go down there every day even if it was for a few minutes. I told him I know that the phone thing is not good because when you are busy you forget. It is the nature of having a business. You have a million things going on. So he asked if my husband applied at Swift I told him Swift was 1 accident. He told me to have him come in and they would do some applications.

When I came home I told my husband and he just had an attitude like nothing would help but he went in and filled out an application for Swift.

We had quite a talk about attitude and I told him that I believed what he had said about Will and I believed Will. I told him I was sure that he this was not the first time something like that had happened in his 10 years of being a Director at the Sage school.

So yesterday Tuesday morning after he took the kids to school in the morning he stopped by Sage. Will got on the phone and spoke to someone he knew at Central Refrigerated and the guy told my husband to be ready to possibly take the bus this weekend. He ran his dac and got all of his information. He told my husband he would call him back either today or tomorrow.

Will also gave my husband another application to fill out for a local company that went OTR.

Within two hours after my husband got home he got a call from Davis Transport. She said that they had discussed things with safety and being his first solo trip out they felt that maybe he had not had enough training to handle his situation.
She said that she had known Will for a long time and that she had called the school regarding my husband: She said Will gave my husband a high recommendation and that in all the years that she had known Will that he has never steered her wrong. Will had also told her that he thought my husband was going to get an offer from Central she told my husband she would either get back to him yesterday afternoon or today that she was going to try and put together an offer for employment for him.

Today this early afternoon my husband got a call from Central Refrigerated they wanted to get him a ticket on the bus and wanted to know what time he wanted. He told he would get back with them.

Then he was unsure which company to go with. Central pays .02 more a mile. But at Davis it is a smaller company and runs through the I-90 quite a bit. So he called Will to seek his advice and he said that he felt like Davis Transport would be a better choice for him at this time.

He has accepted the offer from Davis Transport and we are waiting to hear his bus schedule. He will more than likely be going this weekend. He will train for 6 weeks and he is welcoming it at this point.

Will at Sage really came through for us! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
My husband had filled out the application for the job that was the dedicated run. While we were waiting to hear on that one I did an application on class a drivers for him. We also took a long shot and contacted System Transport and he put an application in there.

We called Gorden, and a couple others the answer came back once you have six months to a year accident free come back then. Davis Transport also called my husband after he filled out the application on CAD and last week he sent them his application.

We got a call around Wednesday last week from the one dedicated job in the morning saying it did not look good. Then later they called my husband and asked him for a copy of his unemployment verification. Then he called and asked for other papers so we were very hopeful. Then later in the afternoon or the next morning the call came in that he was turned down.

We talked to them some more at System Transport and then after they found out that the first accident was $19,000.00 damage on Monday morning they turned him down. At this point my husband felt as if his driving career was over and that no one would hire him. As a few of you people said on this site.

I believed what he told me about the director of the school how he had many connections and I remembered that he believed in no way was my husband's driving career ended.

My husband had been calling him and checking in with him about everyday to see if he had something but nothing came up. Allot of times they will have people call in and ask for drivers.

So Monday afternoon I stopped by the truck driving school. Will the director was out for lunch but the girl told me I could stop back. Just as I was almost ready to get in my minivan Will came walking up (I think he had his lunch with him in a bag).

He said "Hi! How is your guy doing?" I told him that was the reason why I had come down there. I told him that we were not getting anywhere and that we really could use his help. He said that if it did not have to be local or matter how long he was out he felt that he could be working very quickly. He told me to have my husband go down there every day even if it was for a few minutes. I told him I know that the phone thing is not good because when you are busy you forget. It is the nature of having a business. You have a million things going on. So he asked if my husband applied at Swift I told him Swift was 1 accident. He told me to have him come in and they would do some applications.

When I came home I told my husband and he just had an attitude like nothing would help but he went in and filled out an application for Swift.

We had quite a talk about attitude and I told him that I believed what he had said about Will and I believed Will. I told him I was sure that he this was not the first time something like that had happened in his 10 years of being a Director at the Sage school.

So yesterday Tuesday morning after he took the kids to school in the morning he stopped by Sage. Will got on the phone and spoke to someone he knew at Central Refrigerated and the guy told my husband to be ready to possibly take the bus this weekend. He ran his dac and got all of his information. He told my husband he would call him back either today or tomorrow.

Will also gave my husband another application to fill out for a local company that went OTR.

Within two hours after my husband got home he got a call from Davis Transport. She said that they had discussed things with safety and being his first solo trip out they felt that maybe he had not had enough training to handle his situation.
She said that she had known Will for a long time and that she had called the school regarding my husband: She said Will gave my husband a high recommendation and that in all the years that she had known Will that he has never steered her wrong. Will had also told her that he thought my husband was going to get an offer from Central she told my husband she would either get back to him yesterday afternoon or today that she was going to try and put together an offer for employment for him.

Today this early afternoon my husband got a call from Central Refrigerated they wanted to get him a ticket on the bus and wanted to know what time he wanted. He told he would get back with them.

Then he was unsure which company to go with. Central pays .02 more a mile. But at Davis it is a smaller company and runs through the I-90 quite a bit. So he called Will to seek his advice and he said that he felt like Davis Transport would be a better choice for him at this time.

He has accepted the offer from Davis Transport and we are waiting to hear his bus schedule. He will more than likely be going this weekend. He will train for 6 weeks and he is welcoming it at this point.

Will at Sage really came through for us! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife

Congratulations, I am pulling for you down here.

I jumped through all my hoops and start BSU's driving school on Monday. Can you guys still recommend May trucking besides the training issue. Can your husband tell me how many miles the May drivers were getting.

Again congrates, as I have been lifting you up in thoughts n prayers.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick

Congratulations, I am pulling for you down here.

I jumped through all my hoops and start BSU's driving school on Monday. Can you guys still recommend May trucking besides the training issue. Can your husband tell me how many miles the May drivers were getting.

Again congrates, as I have been lifting you up in thoughts n prayers.
Thank you! If my husband did not have his accidents he would have still been with May Trucking and he would have been happy there. The only thing that was a little ruff was the time out. But they tell you how long to expect to be out at May Trucking. We had hoped that they ran the I-90 more than what they did.

For all of your information you wish for about May Trucking good resource would be to go to

www.slowlaneparadise.com

OverTheRoad has a journal that tells his daily trips, miles and he will answer anything you want to know about May Trucking. He has pictures and has done a great job with his site.

I believe that most training is flawed out there and that they are playing a number game. Allot will depend how long it is before you get into a situation and hopefully when you do you have experience enough to handle it.

If you do not be smart shut down and get help out the situation if you can. Do not attempt to do it on your own or you will make it worse.

Some people think that no real training is fine. But I think that if the trainers were trained to train and not paid for the extra miles by teaming that newbies would really get trained. And from the other thread on this board there are many people who believe that the training system is flawed at many companies. I am sure that it would be far safer if newbies were trained better.

Good luck to you! Please check out the site I gave you I think you will enjoy it and there is a wealth of information on it.

Goin Fer It's Wife