Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Steve, all you really need on those tractors is a chain and strap. There are steel loops on the front on each side. They are about where you access the tractor. Those loops are designed to use to secure the tractor. Just put a strap through and across both of them and pull toward the rear. Underneath the rear you will find two steel loops. You can use a single chain but two binders. Some people use 2 chains, but it isn't necessary if you use the hook on each side to attach to the trailer. I have used a single binder to secure it, but you may want to use one for each side. Make sure they pull toward the front. On vehicles your chains or straps should pull in opposite directions. Otherwise you may get a surprise. :wink: One other thing, make sure you put something underneath the strap on both sides to protect the tractor. If you don't then the strap can scuff the paint. One other thing, you can unload the front tractor from the side if a ramp is accessible. Just pull along side, turn the tractor and off you go. You can turn them on a dime. If you have aluminum rub rails, you need to put something under or over it to protect it unless you are at dock height. They could be damaged otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

See there G-MAN ...yer a flippin Mentor now !!!

Does that mean that I get a raise? :P
Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey Steve....T-shirt weather in CA yesterday. 8) 8) We are on our way to WA now to unload tomorrow morning then load back up for Oakland CA for Monday.

We are running up and down the I-5 right now....rates are OK. But rates are BAD for coming back across. :evil: :evil:

Oh well, we like the left coast anyway!! 8) 8)

talk to ya later

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I am using one chain and two binders on each one. I also use a strap across the boom. The one that is sideways I put a strap over each set of wheels. Then to top it off I put a strap over the top of each tractor. Overkill but it makes me feel better.

Yes Rambler, it was a brokered load from CRST. I think I picked up the overload. All the other trucks were CRST.

I will deliver my first tractor this morning then 278 miles to the next drop off so I'm hoping I can push it today and get at least 4 delivered and hoping I can deliver the last one on Saturday morning then head home.

I'll get my new drives put on, take a day or two then head back out. I'm hoping to get another crane so maybe I'll wait if I have to. I'm at a point now where I know enough shippers around my area that I've hauled loads for so I should get on the phone.

I do like the fact that I'm setup with 3 brokers now that do automatic deposits into my checking account so I don't have to keep all my money in my checking account. If I need more I can do a money transfer from my savings to my checking.

I put my Rigmaster into auto mode last night when I got into bed to kick on at 55. It was 70 in my truck and I lay there for about 1/2 an hour and watched the temp drop right down to 55 and the unit kicked on. Been on ever since!!! It's COLD!!!

I realized one thing also. If my alternator ever goes again the Rigmaster will kick on while I'm driving and keep the batteries charged enough to run the engine. Nice feature.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Steve, I never fault anyone for having too much securement. You need to be comfortable with how you secure your load.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Board Icon

I would much rather use more securement, and look like a hillbilly, than not having enough securement.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree, Jackrabbit.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Steve...put your mad bomber hat and your hip boots on cause it looks like you are going to get SNOW!!

Be careful

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Going to get snow, GOING TO GET SNOW!?!?!?! I've been in it since yesterday up to my eyeballs.

I dropped off 2 tractors today, both in Bum F*** Noplace. Snowing like Hell, ice, wind, snow drifts and wicked wicked cold. The wind was blowing so hard last night I honestly thought the truck was going to turn on it's side. For the past few nights I've been completely cut off from civilization and will again tonight.

There are NO truck stops at all and considered checking into a hotel tonight but decided not to. I drop my last load off tomorrow then should be home late morning.

All the drop offs have been a breeze. Unchain, unstrap and drive off. Everyone is real nice which makes it even better.

I haven't been eating the past few days and last night it caught up with me and I felt real sick. I just couldn't eat Mac and Cheese or Dinty Moore beef stew so I went without. I just had a big azz steak dinner with all the fixings so I'm ready to fall into a coma.

I have about 4 more hours of driving to my last drop and I called the company today and he's not open on Sunday but is going to come down and unload me in the morning.

The road that I'm on now is Moose haven. There are more Moose here then any other place on the planet. They say it's 9 Moose per square mile.

You can make fun of my Mad Bomber Hat but it is the warmest hat there is. L.L Bean for anyone wanting to know. It's lined with rabbit fur, leather on the outside and has side wings that completly cover your ears and cheeks. You look like a total freak but it is the cats meow for sure!!!

There are no major roads from upstate NY to Vermont to Maine so it was an experience for sure. You really need to keep on your toes. Most all the signs were either covered with snow from the plows or you couldn't see them due to the blizzard conditions. I think I was the only person out last night. I came across a Scheinder truck and he was skidding up a hill. He was keeping his tires on the hard packed snow and ice and told him to get into the powder to get a grip. Told him to get off the pedal too. He was just mashing down more and more and still losing speed.

Frozen chains, frozen straps, salt, caked on ice and snow....Yup...winter is here.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth

The road that I'm on now is Moose haven. There are more Moose here then any other place on the planet. They say it's 9 Moose per square mile.

Well, at least you have plenty of meat. :wink:
Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN

Well, at least you have plenty of meat. :wink:
Ya, but it's in the frozen foods section this morning.

Hey Merrick, you'll like this. It's 6 below zero, got the Rigmaster on full plus my 1500 watt heater on full and it only got up to 57 in the truck. Had to start the truck to bring the cab up to temp.
Closed Thread