Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   From desk to own authority part 3 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30303-desk-own-authority-part-3-a.html)

10-20-2007 06:02 AM

From desk to own authority part 3

Somehow I screwed up the other chapter by continuously trying to post a reply as the system was coming up Monday morning and this caused the database or something to get screwed up so I asked Scoe to lock it down and I would start a new one.

I'm sick of sitting at home so my truck is posted for Monday. I was watching TV yesterday answering the phone non stop from Telemarketers and telling them I'm not interested. Well, I must have dozed off and my cell phone rang which I only use for business. I pick it up and someone asks if I want to haul a load from close to me to PA on Monday. I say I'm not interested and hang up. Two seconds later I wake up all the way and say OH CRAP.

I check the caller ID and the number is unavailable. I look on the load boards and nothing posted going from Bow NH to PA. Oh well, that would have been a good pick up point in PA to head back out West.

I'm doing that freaking IFTA crapola today. Been putting it off all week so time to get to it.

10-20-2007 06:56 AM

I did a little better on mileage this quarter and maybe due to the Rigmaster and not idling so much, not sure.

In my opinion, IFTA is the only way to measure your trucks true MPG performance. Mine was 5.7 for the quarter.

allan5oh 10-20-2007 08:09 AM

Yup, as long as the IFTA is done correctly, that's the only way to go for a long term average.

Even filling one fillup differently you can drop .5 or more of a MPG.

10-20-2007 08:29 AM

Yup, I agree. I have a habit of filling up even though I only need a little after the end of a trip.

I've just discovered something interesting doing my IFTA. I'm able to go through my log book and type into Microsoft Maps and Streets where I went for the quarter then click on plan route. If the route is different than what I took I can modify the route by clicking, dragging and dropping.

I then save the directions to a file and low and behold there is data I can key off of to write a simple program to calculate what I need to know.

Every time you enter a new state it prints out in a different font and color and the words "Entering Vermont" and in the far left hand column is the mileage. BINGO!!!

Now, where did I put that C compiler.

usedup 10-20-2007 09:04 AM

Steve, Thanks for starting a new chapter. The last one was getting a little "heavy" for this old dude to lift. If you have some success with your simple IFTA program, I would think there would be some demand for it. Nothing fancy, just a time saver for the small guy.

Write-compile-write-compile-write-compile 8) 8) 8) 8)

10-20-2007 09:10 AM

I just went through it by hand and it came out to within 357 miles of my actual odometer for the quarter. Close enough for sure!!!

I will make it available for anyone who wants it.

I just wish the GPS manufactures would do it. They already have the data, they just need to output it to a coma separated file for import into a spreadsheet.

usedup 10-20-2007 09:22 AM

Peddle it to DeLorme, They're just up the road from you a bit. If nothing else maybe you could get some free stuff from them. Free is Good. Good luck with it.

Red Clay Rambler 10-20-2007 10:53 AM

Steve, the "Do Not Call" Registry worked wonders for us at home in stopping telemarketing calls. Course, you're not home that much anyway but when you are it would give you some peace.

tootie04 10-20-2007 02:09 PM

Yep, i think it is donotcall.com I think....

We are in FL getting the schiender eggs unloaded. :lol: :lol: It is raining but not hot. We have reservations in a hotel on International Blvd for 2 nights so we are going to Boston Lobster Fest tonight and then see what we can get into tomorrow.... 8)

Hopefully our freight god will find us a load on Monday. :wink:

Well steve, since you are restless and all, you must have trucking in your blood too....aint it great.... :wink:

Good luck getting a good load and maybe we will see ya soon...

tootie

10-20-2007 02:13 PM

F'ing IFTA