User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
So that means a full 1/3 of my revenue goes to fuel. Is this what is customary?
That's about what I have. Fuel (for all miles) is 25-30% of revenue every month. Driver is approx 15%. Ammortization, maitenance, insurance is approx 35%. That leaves approx 25% left over.

Funny thing is though...I think my revenues are higher than yours (on a per loaded mile basis) but we still have the same fuel costs (as a percentage). Goes to show how dead miles and crappy mileage can kill ya (i.e. me).
Old 11-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
So that means a full 1/3 of my revenue goes to fuel. Is this what is customary?
That's about what I have. Fuel (for all miles) is 25-30% of revenue every month. Driver is approx 15%. Ammortization, maitenance, insurance is approx 35%. That leaves approx 25% left over.

Funny thing is though...I think my revenues are higher than yours (on a per loaded mile basis) but we still have the same fuel costs (as a percentage). Goes to show how dead miles and crappy mileage can kill ya (i.e. me).
That is interesting, about the fuel, Rank. Your revenue per mile is most certainly higher. I think one possible explanation is you have drivers who might not care so much about fuel efficiency whereas I keep idling to almost nothing and watch how I drive. And to be honest I don't fuel up at the cheapest place. By that I mean I watch the IFTA rates so fuel up in Florida rather than Georgia as it is overall cheaper in Florida.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

my fuel cost also will be above 30%

Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

well I guess I'm in range then. I mean I knew I couldn't get it any lower anyway unless I start buying in cheaper states but then my fuel tax would just be highter.

I'm wondering though, for you guys that have been at this for a while, is fuel a higher percentage of overall revenue than when fuel was a $1 or more cheaper? I mean if we went back 5 or 10 years was fuel still 30% of revenue?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Funny thing...my fuel is right at 32% of my revenues. Bad thing is...I ran with injector problems for 3 weeks...which cost me $$$ because of bad fuel mileage. The rest of my numbers are just under what Rank has, I'm at about 33% of revenue for truck payment, insurances and maint & repairs.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

4 years ago my fuel was right at 25% then it went to 50% when fuel spiked,now because of FSC it is around 30%,basically I spend only 5% more now.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
4 years ago my fuel was right at 25% then it went to 50% when fuel spiked,now because of FSC it is around 30%,basically I spend only 5% more now.
That doesn't make sense. If you had a load paying $1,000 for 500 miles that means you spent $500 for fuel. What are you driving, a John Deer Tractor?
Either that or you were getting like $.90 cents per mile for the load.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Mike..I read this,, then pulled out the paperwork again, and did the math. Based on just linehaul revenue, after adjusting fuel cost's with the FSC, I'm out of pocket, 11.4% of my gross LH revenue for fuel.

Hmmmmmmmm
Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Mike..I read this,, then pulled out the paperwork again, and did the math. Based on just linehaul revenue, after adjusting fuel cost's with the FSC, I'm out of pocket, 11.4% of my gross LH revenue for fuel.

Hmmmmmmmm
thats why we say you can make money off FSC if you have a truck that gets very good mileage

Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. If you had a load paying $1,000 for 500 miles that means you spent $500 for fuel. What are you driving, a John Deer Tractor?
Either that or you were getting like $.90 cents per mile for the load.
You know that didn't sound right when I typed it,not sure what it was but I also was only getting around $1.20 a mile then pulling containers......

and my total cost for fuel now is 30%,if I took the FSC off that I would be in the 10% cost range I would guess.

It will be interesting in the next few weeks to sit down and run all the year end numbers to see what is what.

Tags
read