User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
:rock: Congratulations on the truck! It looks nice! I hope you are prosperous with it this and all the years you have it!

Wow! Mr. O/O it seems like it was just yesterday when you were still in the service and thinking about the time you got out to get into trucking. Time is just flying! Same with Rotts I can't believe how fast it has gone by.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Thank you. Yes time flies and seasons change......hey isn't that a line to a song? :?

oh, and can't blame us guys for being addicted to football
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
sure looks purple to me....lol

take it to volvo for any work while in missoula.....theres few shops i trust but they are one...if nothing else think of how well the work was done on your old company truck...sorry but not my idea of money well spent
you're color blind :lol:

I never had any problems with them taking care of my company truck. And if the work was less than par before, I am willing to wager the quality will be much better now that "B" is in business for himself and I am sure he wants to develop/maintain a solid rep. Beside, he only charges $70hr.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member

01/05-07/08
Although the first couple of days were a little slow going, I made up for time over the last couple of days and arrived in Missoula as planned on Sunday evening.

I swung through Muralts for a bite to eat and there was not one singe teal green Davis truck there. This felt a little strange because Muralts used to be the “unofficial” Davis terminal and you would see half dozen trucks there at any given time. Not anymore though.

After filling my belly I headed over to the terminal for a hot shower and do a load of laundry. Well I left my dang laundry soap back at home so the dirty clothes will have to wait until I make a run over to Wally-World.

First thing Monday morning I went inside the building for a cup of coffee and a chat with my favorite dispatcher. Once everyone started arriving, I began the process of getting signed on. There really wasn’t much I could do because there are 5 LP drivers ‘ahead” of me so the standard statement was “tomorrow”. Mr. “D” said that since I am an O/O, the process will be much quicker and smoother than the LP guys when it’s my turn.

I did manage to get a few things done such as getting the truck and trailer inspected, got some of the equipment I needed (Davis was going to sell me one of their used headache racks for $400.00 but I ended up buying a Merritt from another O/O for $300.00), got all the stuff I left here before the holidays put away in the truck, picked my new truck number and helped another driver with stowing some of his stuff.

Tomorrow should be a busy day for me as I will have the shop install the headache rack, hook up valve up in the tractor, install my inverter and “B” believes he has the codes to remove the governor on this Detroit. While they are doing that, I will be going through an “orientation” of sorts to go over settlements, advances, etc and then signing all the lease paper work. I will be meeting up with the “tarp guy” at some point to take delivery of the lightweight lumber tarps I had him make for me. Get the remainder of the gear I need and I also have a locksmith coming out to re-key all my boxes on the trailer.

I am crossing my fingers that everything will be all done and wrapped up so I can be put into service and on the ready board by Wednesday. I won’t hold my breathe, but you never know
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Hey DD,glad all is well for you.How does the weather in Montana compare with Texas weather.This morning it is in the 60's and showers.G/L.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Here's wishing you the trucking version of "Fair winds and following seas."

Navy Corpsman: Long haired, loud mouthed Sailor who would crash through the gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine!

Born to kill, trained to heal!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Hey DD,glad all is well for you.How does the weather in Montana compare with Texas weather.This morning it is in the 60's and showers.G/L.
It freaking SUCKS!!!!!!!! :evil: Been freezing my rear off over here.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
Here's wishing you the trucking version of "Fair winds and following seas."
Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

01/08/08
Today was another long but no so productive day (by my standards anyways) as everything has been pretty much a waiting game.

I did manage to get all my equipment in/on the truck and trailer with the exception of the chains and binders. I had to wait for them to install the headache rack first. That in its self turned out to be a challenge because with this short wheel base there isn’t a whole lot of room between the back of the cab and the 5th wheel. They did manage to get it installed but it was too late to get my chains and binders hung so that will have to wait for tomorrow.

With the limited space, we will have to get real creative in order to put the deck plate back on. In fact, as it stands now there is no way it will fit so some modifications will be required. There are holes in the frame where you could move the entire 5th wheel plate back, this would give me more room but that is a major chore and I have no idea how that would affect my weight distribution.

This whole issue with the limited space now makes me wish I would have had a little more foresight and gotten a truck with a longer wheel base. Don’t get me wrong, the equipment is more than functional; it’s just not as convenient as it could be.

Tomorrow the shop will finish up my work order which consists of wiring my dump valve and inverter as well as removing the governor if they have the code(s).

I also got to sit down with the payroll gal and go over settlements, deductions, etc. So that is one more thing marked off the list. Basically the only things I have left to do besides the shop finishing up is to hang my chains and binders, get with the tarp guy to take delivery of my tarps, see the license/permit gal and sit down with one of the owners of the company to sign the lease paper work. I may be forgetting a couple of things but that is about the jest of it.

Being ready to roll by Wednesday is now out of the question so I will cross my fingers that I will be on the board by Thursday.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 AM

Hope all goes well for you.I am officially out of trucking.Have started working with a man that has a vending machine company.He has three routes.Going to work with him for a couple of years,then he is going to retire.At that time I may buy the company.He has been doing this for 26 years.It is well established in the area.Will be nice to be home evenings and off weekends.Good luck in your new venture as well.Going to miss the road.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Hope all goes well for you.I am officially out of trucking.Have started working with a man that has a vending machine company.He has three routes.Going to work with him for a couple of years,then he is going to retire.At that time I may buy the company.He has been doing this for 26 years.It is well established in the area.Will be nice to be home evenings and off weekends.Good luck in your new venture as well.Going to miss the road.
I worked for a large vending company for a couple years. (AVI Foodsystems...I guess they are the largest in the US?)

There is a TON of money to be made in the vending industry. I have never seen more people pissed off then when a coffee vending machine was out of order and they didn't get their morning coffee. Crazy people...