User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

01/09-11/-08
The past couple of days have been busy, busy, and busy. I finally got the truck and trailer completely outfitted with all my equipment, signed the lease, got my permits and received my first load.

Montana is not the greatest of places to load out of and right now everything is loading out of Butte and headed to Langeloth, PA. My cut, including FSC and after Davis takes theirs is only $2,606 to the truck. That equals out to $1.40 a mile. Not the best, but it will position me in a better rate freight area.

My initial assessment of the truck under a load is just so-so. I say this because I was not that impressed with how she pulled the hills and how the Jake worked coming down the other side. It reminds me a lot of the truck I had with the C-13 CAT. Maybe I just got a little spoiled with the Cummins. In either case I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. :wink:

Anyways, I guess not working for about 4 weeks took a toll on me because after loading in Butte, and hitting the road, I was flat out tuckered. I only made it as far as Laurel, MT before shutting it down for the night :sad: . One thing that was nice though, I bought (in addition to the lightweight lumber tarps) a 2 piece steel/utility tarps set. They are just like the lumbers (with flaps), except they have a 5’ drop vise 8’. This made tarping a breeze over using that heavy 1 piece tarp I had with Davis. It used to take me about 2 hrs of strapping & tarping only, today it took me 1 ½ hrs and that is from the time I rolled into the plant until I rolled out.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
01/09-11/-08
The past couple of days have been busy, busy, and busy. I finally got the truck and trailer completely outfitted with all my equipment, signed the lease, got my permits and received my first load.

Montana is not the greatest of places to load out of and right now everything is loading out of Butte and headed to Langeloth, PA. My cut, including FSC and after Davis takes theirs is only $2,606 to the truck. That equals out to $1.40 a mile. Not the best, but it will position me in a better rate freight area.

My initial assessment of the truck under a load is just so-so. I say this because I was not that impressed with how she pulled the hills and how the Jake worked coming down the other side. It reminds me a lot of the truck I had with the C-13 CAT. Maybe I just got a little spoiled with the Cummins. In either case I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. :wink:

Anyways, I guess not working for about 4 weeks took a toll on me because after loading in Butte, and hitting the road, I was flat out tuckered. I only made it as far as Laurel, MT before shutting it down for the night :sad: . One thing that was nice though, I bought (in addition to the lightweight lumber tarps) a 2 piece steel/utility tarps set. They are just like the lumbers (with flaps), except they have a 5’ drop vise 8’. This made tarping a breeze over using that heavy 1 piece tarp I had with Davis. It used to take me about 2 hrs of strapping & tarping only, today it took me 1 ½ hrs and that is from the time I rolled into the plant until I rolled out.
Considering that you loaded out of Montana..that isn't the worst rate. Nice thing for you now is..you don't have to keep heading into Montana, since your driving your own business know..they should be able to keep you loaded in areas that you want to be in..and get you home to TX when you need to be here.

What engine did you say you have in that there Star??
Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Careful coming to Texas.Freight is always hard to find and cheap.Glad you are on the road DD.Hope everything goes well.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Considering that you loaded out of Montana..that isn't the worst rate. Nice thing for you now is..you don't have to keep heading into Montana, since your driving your own business know..they should be able to keep you loaded in areas that you want to be in..and get you home to TX when you need to be here.
true, very true

Quote:
Detroit 12.7L 500hp
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Careful coming to Texas.Freight is always hard to find and cheap.Glad you are on the road DD.Hope everything goes well.
this is also true....when I was a company driver and I'd go home for a couple of days, I'd end up staying there for 6 or 7 days because frieght was just slow or too cheap for them to haul. And thanks for the well wishes!!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
true, very true

Quote:
Detroit 12.7L 500hp
DD. That is a very good motor. If you haven't already had it down..first chance you get, have the ECM run, to see if your having some codes. It should pull hills good, if it is set to operate at 500hp, and the jake should be holding the truck back well too.
An overhead might be in order for the old girl.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
DD. That is a very good motor. If you haven't already had it down..first chance you get, have the ECM run, to see if your having some codes. It should pull hills good, if it is set to operate at 500hp, and the jake should be holding the truck back well too.
An overhead might be in order for the old girl.
I did in Missoula and no codes. I hope that with just a little over 500k she isn't ready for top end work :sad:
Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

It is great to see you are rolling! I will be looking forward to seeing were your next load will take you!

My husband enjoyed the chat!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Where ya at DD??? What are ya doin???
Old 01-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnd
Well how things can change. As last reported I was to start with Schneider on 1-5-08. On 1-4-08 they called 3 hours before I was to check into a hotel (only 20 mins from my house) and said "no go". Why? I listed a misdemeanor conviction that happened in 2001. I also did with Davis. I was told my background was cleared over a month ago and this conviction was reviewed by management and approved. I knew it was in my DAC. The thing with Schneider was the original conviction was a felony. The court reduced it to a misdemeanor but DAC showed it as a felony. I went to the court and found out the case was dismissed entirely. For those wondering? it wasn't drug related. It was vandalism. The victim? A brother who had served a year in state prison after 5 DUI's. He was still driving drunk after he got out so I punctured all four of his tires one night while he was getting ready to "go out". I was wrong but very angry. Anyway, because he was angry and the damage was more then $400 he had me arrested for felony vandalism. I faxed the court papers with official seal to SN and it didn't matter. Even though I listed when legally I can answer no to the question it didn't matter. They admitted technically I didn't lie. On a positive note, I'm going back to flatbed. I start orientation Monday in Omaha, Nebraska and will be 48 states. Another x#^&*& bus ride but it's a job. Does anyone know anything about Arrow Trucking. I hear good and bad as with every company. See you all on the road.
Dang that sucks bro. I hope that everything works out for you at Arrow. You're right about how you always hear good and bad from every company, and since I never worked for Arrow I will not comment on what i have heard on the road. BOL!!!