User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the snow hasn't hit us yet in upstate NY. I'm sure it's coming though.

Stay safe
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmb
Not sure if you wanted to see this:

NEWTON... WASHINGTON... MORRISTOWN...

ALLENTOWN... BETHLEHEM... EASTON 310 PM EST SUN NOV 18 2007 ... SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST MONDAY...

A SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST MONDAY.

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN MOSTLY IN THE LOWER 30S THROUGH TONIGHT...

RESULTING IN SNOW IN WARREN, MORRIS AND SUSSEX COUNTIES IN NEW JERSEY AND IN LEHIGH AND NORTHAMPTON COUNTIES IN PENNSYLVANIA.

SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL TONIGHT. ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW SHOULD BE ON THE GROUND BY NIGHTFALL... MAINLY ON GRASSY SURFACES. SNOW MAY FALL AT THE RATE OF 1/2 TO 1 INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES. AN ADDITIONAL INCH OR TWO OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE.

AS THE PRECIPITATION COMES TO AN END ON MONDAY... 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW SHOULD BE ON THE GROUND. AS A RESULT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONTINUES A SNOW ADVISORY.

ROAD SURFACES WILL BECOME SLIPPERY... ESPECIALLY TONIGHT IN THE AREAS THAT GET THE SNOW. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE THE FIRST TO GET SLIPPERY. THIS IS THE FIRST SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON IN MANY AREAS. THIS FACT COUPLED WITH THE NEW WORK WEEK AND SOME PEOPLE BEGINNING THEIR HOLIDAY TRAVEL COULD CREATE MORE TRAFFIC ON ROADWAYS. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING AROUND THE REGION... BE PREPARED FOR LESS THAN IDEAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. BE SURE TO DRIVE AT A REASONABLE SPEED AND LEAVE PLENTY OF ROOM BETWEEN YOUR VEHICLE AND THE ONE AHEAD OF YOU.
wonderful :roll: just what I need.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totino
Stay safe
Thanks, I will
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

:shock: .....WOW..... :shock:

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine and he tells me that he was in an accident yesterday. At first, I thought he was joking but he was not. I won't post the details or who he is (that's up to him to post if he wishes to share the info) but an "object" came across the road and hit him causing the accident. After seeing a pic of what was left of the truck I was both shocked and relieved that he walk away from it.

You see or hear about big trucks in accidents on the news all the time, but it never happens to someone you know. This time it was close to home for me and its a sombering feeling. I am just grateful that his wife and son still have a husband and father.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

11/19/07
I got up at 4am local and was on the road by 5am. I figured that I should be at the customer’s front door between 9-10am depending on traffic. Well that was a joke. Within 15 miles of traveling on I-80 east, it was bumper to bumper traffic. It was due to the heavy snow and white out conditions. It ended up taking me 3 ¼ hours to go 68 miles!!!
Once I got into NY the weather and traffic cleared up. I got to the customer 45 minutes before they stop receiving. Within 20 minutes I was empty and on my way.

I headed down the road a little ways and found a place to park for a few hours as I awaited a load. By 4pm local, I called back in and reminded dispatch that the east coast can be a real pain in the rear when it comes to parking and that if I don’t start moving, I might be “azzed out”. So I was given the green light to get moving and was told to head in a southwesterly direction because I will more than likely load out of NJ (wonderful :roll: ).

I headed down I-95 and stopped at the TA in Branford, CT and sure enough all the parking was full. I am parked on the side of the road across the street from the t/s and hope I don’t wake with a ticket on the window.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

11/20/07
This morning when I checked in, I was told to head on over to Rankin, PA to load out tomorrow. This load will be going to some high school or something in Bothell, WA. There are a total of 8 Davis trucks loading at this place between today and tomorrow and all of us going to the same destination.

I was told that I can not deliver until after 8am on Thursday the 29th. That gives me a ton of time to get there. Bad thing is that since there will be 8 trucks in Washington; I suspect that many, if not all of us, will be sitting for a few days. Guess we’ll wait and see.

When I called the customer this morning for directions, I also asked (as I always do) if there was any place I could park overnight on or near their property. She said unfortunately there was not (one reason they are loading the trucks over 2 days is because they are a small facility) and that the closest place based on my route would be up on I-80.

So I stopped at the TA in Barkeyville and fueled up the truck, ate and now am just relaxing for the remainder of the evening. Tomorrow I will be up bright and early to head to Rankin as they are expecting me there between 7-8am.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey DD,

It's actually Goin Fer It! It was good talking to you today. Too bad you won't be through this way for Thanksgiving, we would have certainly made a place for you. But maybe we can save some leftovers for you. Thanksgiving leftovers are almost as good as the original meal. Let Lorna know when you'll be through and we'll see what we can do! Have a safe Thanksgiving and keep your britches between the ditches! (I know it's cliche, but oh so true)

The Real GFI
Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Hey DD,

It's actually Goin Fer It! It was good talking to you today. Too bad you won't be through this way for Thanksgiving, we would have certainly made a place for you. But maybe we can save some leftovers for you. Thanksgiving leftovers are almost as good as the original meal. Let Lorna know when you'll be through and we'll see what we can do! Have a safe Thanksgiving and keep your britches between the ditches! (I know it's cliche, but oh so true)

The Real GFI
I too enjoyed our conversation. Glad you are able to be home for turkey day. Please pass along to GFIW and your family a happy and blessed thanksgiving.And thank you for the offer.

Did you get the pic I sent? I am not sure if it worked or not.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

11/21/07
I got up early and made my run to the customer. I was asked by them to be there between 7-8am and I arrived at 6:50am.

Once I was loaded, strapped and tarped, I hit the road and started making my way west. I was in my “zone” to drive, but felt a little wore down so I shut down in Lake Station, IN.

The Thanksgiving traffic was out in full force and to top it off, it rained the entire way from the PA/OH state line to IN. I was hoping for better weather tomorrow, but the weather guessers are predicting snow in the Chicago area tonight and tomorrow and they said it has been snowing all day in IA. Hopefully it will still be a good day for driving.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
11/18/07
My motivation was much better today. Since the east coast always seems to be a bear to find parking, I decided to leave Perrysburg at 5am and shut it down early in Columbia, NJ. This puts me at about 250 miles from my customer for a Monday delivery. I decided to treat myself and hooked up to IdleAir. This way I can kick back and watch football the rest of the day. I am parked next to another Davis truck, and although the truck number rings a bell in my head, I can not remember who the driver is. Perhaps I will see him later.

I would like to know who ordered all the snow. From the time I left Perrysburg, OH early this morning until Columbia, NJ, it has snowed. Fortunately, for the most part it was not sticking on the road but there were several spots in PA where the snow plows were either hard at work or sitting on the side of the road ready to spring into action. In fact as I sit her typing this, it’s still snowing. I hope it isn’t like this tomorrow. It would normally take me about +/- 4 hours to go the 250 miles, but just in case, I will factor in extra time.
I was driving throught that crap too. It wasn't sticking to the ground but visibility was low. It was worse on I-81N through the Pocono's. Some drivers freak out when they see a snowflake but it didn't bother me. Hammer down!!!