User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
Hey, they were just welcoming you to the world of truck driving. :sad: You know the old military saying "Hurry up and wait!".

Anyhow, good to hear that you made it this far. Good luck in the future. I am really interested in your securement training and load issues.

Take care!
Thanks.....I will be posting as often as I can to keep you and anyone else that might be interested updated
Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Day One of Orientation with Davis Transport 07/09/07
I did not sleep too well last night. I think it was a combination of sleeping in a “strange” bed, a little too much late night coffee, and maybe a little bit of excitement about getting started on my 2nd career.

There are a total of 6 of us attending orientation. 2 of the guys are experienced drivers and the other 3 and I the “newbie’s’. They all are very nice guys and I have made 5 new friends today. Speaking of nice people, today we met several of the employees’s to include the owner of the company, and EVERYONE seems so nice and genuine. I also got to finally meet my recruiter Pat. Now Pat is more than a recruiter to me, she has become a true friend as we have been in communication for about 6-7 months now. Sometimes we would just chew the fat about everyday life and nothing to do with Davis or the industry. So it was an absolute pleasure to finally put a face with the voice/emails.

We filled out and signed a few papers and met several of the company staff as well as conducting the required pre-employment drug test. We spent a good portion of the day outside going over vehicle inspection. This was much more detailed than what we learned in school. In addition to the normal pre-trip inspections, Davis requires a though inspection of the tractor and trailer at least once a week. This includes greasing any and all fittings as well as many other things which are too numerous to list. All in all though, it really wasn’t too difficult. I got the impression that they want us to develop “good” habits in order to prevent a lot of headaches later on. This was not a new concept to me as we conduct similar inspections in the Navy.

After lunch we had to take a road test. Even though it was emphasized that they wanted to make sure we were safe drivers in that we did not follow too closely, speed management, lane management, proper turning and backing techniques, etc, they also said they a failure could result in being sent home. I got the impression that it was more of a “Take this Serious” tactic than anything else, it was still a little nerve racking because here I have my boss evaluating me on my driving skills in a truck I have never seen the inside of much less drove. Needless to say I passed.

Davis operates KW T800’s and I was in a 2007. I was amazed and shocked at how it handled compared to the 1995 KW T600 I drove while in school. The new T800 was like driving a Cadillac.

Anyways, we wrapped up the day with some load securement and will continue with it over the next couple of days. I don’t have our “Orientation Schedule” in front of me, but if I recall correctly, tomorrow promises to be yet another jammed packed day.

Oh yeah, one last thing. In the morning, Pat had mentioned we were going to have Prime Rib for lunch. We knowing pat, I assumed she was joking of course and was I dead wrong. They provided us with prime rib, french fries, bread, and a salad!!!!!! That’s what I call a good lunch
Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Day Two of Orientation with Davis Transport 07/10/07
Today was a very busy day of paper work and a couple of videos. We went over the Highway Watch Program, Operations, Tarping, Load Securement, Accident procedures/information, Pay Roll and a few other things I know I am forgetting.

Although it was informative, it was a little bit overwhelming. Yesterday, when we met one of the owners, he had warned us that it would be overwhelming and that we would more than likely forget 85% of it. But he assured us not to worry in that it would all come together in time. Hope he is right.

Yesterday when I took my road test, the guy that evaluated me is one of the “Truck Bosses” (truck manager). Pat had told me he picked me specifically because he too was prior Navy. Ok, no problem, however I was naturally a little nervous because my future boss was going to evaluate me. Well today I found out that being a truck Boss is more or less a “part-time” position at Davis and that he is actually the Vice President of Operations. Good thing I didn’t know that at the time. In other words, I am GLAD I did not know that yesterday as that would have added even more pressure on me and who knows how I would have done then.

Anyways, 3 of 6 of us were informed that we will be heading out tomorrow evening with our trainers. My trainer, George, was currently loading out in Butte, Montana and would be here in Missoula tomorrow to pick me up and we will be heading to some place in PA. Even though I am a little nervous, I am excited to get started on the “real” training and that sounds like a nice run to get started on.

I can not recall exactly what will happen tomorrow (head is still spinning from a brain overload) but I know part, if not all of it will consist of load securement.

Oh, and lunch today was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and a roll. Boy was it good!! Glad I am leaving tomorrow because if I stay here any longer eating like this I will gain 10 pounds…..LOL
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I am glad that you are enjoying Davis so far! It will all come to you and soon being a new driver will be a memory. You will do fine! Davis will not let you go on your own until you get down all that you should, and you will get trained!

I am glad that you are going out tomorrow so that you can get started but I am kind of bummed that you will not be in Missoula Friday or Saturday when my husband will be getting there! But you guys will meet up in time. He was thinking of giving you a call but it would be better for you to call him on your time schedule as when he was in training he did not make calls while driving and until he was comfortable he did not, now he will with his hands free head set. So if you get a chance maybe this weekend give him a ring.

Have you seen his new truck? Boy you have the inside scoop at Davis LOL!

I don't know if I ever told you my dad attempted to talk me into going into the navy when I was sixteen! I am not navy material! I would have ended up in trouble and been in the brig all the time :shock: that is what I told him too!

Drive Safe! I know you will!

:P

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
I am glad that you are enjoying Davis so far! It will all come to you and soon being a new driver will be a memory. You will do fine! Davis will not let you go on your own until you get down all that you should, and you will get trained!

I am glad that you are going out tomorrow so that you can get started but I am kind of bummed that you will not be in Missoula Friday or Saturday when my husband will be getting there! But you guys will meet up in time. He was thinking of giving you a call but it would be better for you to call him on your time schedule as when he was in training he did not make calls while driving and until he was comfortable he did not, now he will with his hands free head set. So if you get a chance maybe this weekend give him a ring.

Have you seen his new truck? Boy you have the inside scoop at Davis LOL!

I don't know if I ever told you my dad attempted to talk me into going into the navy when I was sixteen! I am not navy material! I would have ended up in trouble and been in the brig all the time :shock: that is what I told him too!

Drive Safe! I know you will!

:P

Goin Fer It's Wife
Thanks GFIW.....I am sure all the stuff that they threw at us will come together. Yeah. too bad I won't be here when GFI arrives but I am sure at some point and time our paths will cross. When I took my road test, it was in a 2007 Areocab with a little over 130,000 miles on it. Not sure if that is the one he is getting. There are 3 or 4 of them here and I can tell you that they driveSWEET!!!!!! He'll definitely like it.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

All in All, it is nice to see that Davis Transport has changed from being the "Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet" that it was back in the early 80's.

DD....do you know if 4-B's catered the meals for Davis?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:06 AM

devildice,

glad to hear everything is goin good, now yer off to wonderful langlothe...ha ha sucker

i hear someone finally got to give you heck for me, glad it finally got worked out

one of the local eatin houses brings lunch...not 4 b's, but i think its jokers wild....im probaly wrong on the name but its good food

sorry for chasin ya down dd, but had some ?'s about ya....so i decieded to find ya...lol

have fun, patience and a good learning experiance

p.s. those 07's are nice arent they....but ill keep my old truck
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice

Thanks GFIW.....I am sure all the stuff that they threw at us will come together. Yeah. too bad I won't be here when GFI arrives but I am sure at some point and time our paths will cross. When I took my road test, it was in a 2007 Areocab with a little over 130,000 miles on it. Not sure if that is the one he is getting. There are 3 or 4 of them here and I can tell you that they driveSWEET!!!!!! He'll definitely like it.
:P I was certain your paths would cross but I was surprised:shock: that it was today! That is cool though. I am glad that you two met up at the truck stop in Grand Rapids. I hope while you are in training you can update your thread! It is a go with the flow type thing when you are in training but when you are done it will be a different story!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
devildice,

glad to hear everything is goin good, now yer off to wonderful langlothe...ha ha sucker

i hear someone finally got to give you heck for me, glad it finally got worked out

one of the local eatin houses brings lunch...not 4 b's, but i think its jokers wild....im probaly wrong on the name but its good food

sorry for chasin ya down dd, but had some ?'s about ya....so i decieded to find ya...lol

have fun, patience and a good learning experiance
Thanks. Yeah someone gave me a hard time :wink: BTW, did you know I am banned from that other site.....they CLAIMED I was promoting this site.....so if you want to reach me, you can hit me up on here.

p.s. those 07's are nice arent they....but ill keep my old truck
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice

:P I was certain your paths would cross but I was surprised:shock: that it was today! That is cool though. I am glad that you two met up at the truck stop in Grand Rapids. I hope while you are in training you can update your thread! It is a go with the flow type thing when you are in training but when you are done it will be a different story!

Goin Fer It's Wife
It was great meeting him. One in a million shot I supose that we would meet up at that truck stop at that exact time. Sorry we couldn't chat longer as I would have enjoyed that, but if you read my next post you'll understand.