User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation

Once you get that OD delivered, I want to know...was it really only 14 feet? Or....was the piece 14 feet before it hit the deck??

BooBoo's like that have happened!!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Once you get that OD delivered, I want to know...was it really only 14 feet? Or....was the piece 14 feet before it hit the deck??

BooBoo's like that have happened!!
it was a used propane tank that was 105.5" in diameter. Once on deck and on the dunnage, it was 14' 3"............but shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone. :lol:
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I picked up and delivered my first OD load with no issues. It was a used propane tank that measured 105.5" in diameter and weighed a little over 39k. I had all sorts of mixed emotions ranging from adrenaline to nervousness. I am sure those out there that haul OD's on a regular basis will say this load was nothing, and they're probably right. But this was my very first one ever and it was a bit of a big deal for me.

I would have felt a lot more comfortable if it was flat on the deck vise being round or at least had some anchor points where I could cross chain, but no such luck. I used 3" deck screws to pin down some boards on my dunnage, creating a craddle of sorts to help prevent it from rolling. I then threw 9 four inch straps over her and tightened them down like there was no tomorrow.

Once I got my permit and was rolling down the road, I would watch this thing rock back and forth with every bump, dip, or crack in the road. At first I thought the load its self was rocking back and forth but then realized it was the entire trailer :eek2:. I crept along not going any faster than about 55mph and although at the time it felt like it was taking forever to get to Wichita Falls, before I knew it I was there. Ass my butt cheeks were clenched together, I was recalling an episode of "Ice Road Truckers" where this young guy was hauling a HUGE tank across the ice and I remember it too was rocking back and forth on him. I was thinking to myself that I have a miniature version of his load and can understand his concern with the movement.

So I am happy and relived to report that my first OD load was delivered without and incidents :clap:.

I am sitting at the Love's in Wichita Falls where I will get a hot shower and fill my belly. Tomorrow I will be loading in Gainesville, TX with a light load going down to Laredo, TX for a decent rate of $2.20 a mile to the truck (DH and FSC included)

Oh, and I did take some pics but am having technical difficulties getting them uploaded. I will try later to get them posted on here.

Last edited by devildice; 10-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
In a way, I think it would be helpful to post that kind of stuff, just so you can show us if and how they resolved it. Either way, they will get the fair shake. So far, you are making it sound like a great place.

Come on - spill it.
Rev.......You know I have to admit you're right (I will deny that if anyone asks :lol......I will post about all the issues I have experienced with them soon. Even though I have had a few problems, overall I believe they are a decent company.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

O.K. the mentally challenged here somehow managed to correct the issues with my pics. So here goes and hopefully they are not too big. I know it doesn't look like much and as I stated before I am sure the OD hauling vets will laugh, but it was my first OD load EVER.

Last edited by devildice; 10-23-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

When I went through Landstar orentation we were told that if you hauled a used tank like that you had to have a tanker endorsment,is that right? What about the placards? Was it still considered hazardous?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Board Icon

Holy giant pics, Batman! Resize! Resize!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
When I went through Landstar orentation we were told that if you hauled a used tank like that you had to have a tanker endorsment,is that right? What about the placards? Was it still considered hazardous?
You would be absolutely correct that a tanker endorsement is needed for a load such as that.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
I just have to tell you that I am enjoying reading about your new adventure. You aren't BS'ing about numbers, and are admitting that it isn't all roses (although I would love to hear what the bad parts are......). You're doing things Booth couldn't have ever done, because his ego got in the way. Good form, sir.
I could not have said it better myself. From an outsider looking in, this is golden.....and Rev... I appreciate the knowledge, feedback, and insite in your posts, too.

Although I am not transitioning from the Navy for another five years (that will put me at 24 years), I went ahead and enrolled in school yesterday since I am on shore duty. I cant wait to start.

Thanks for all, guys.

R/

Frat
Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
No one here ever said a tanker endorsement was required, however I do have the endorsement so maybe it was a "given"???? I'll ask my terminal manger next time I speak with her. No placards. I did have a "purge letter" which simple stated that the tank had been emptied and cleaned.