User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ouch ! but hey pretty much the jist of it ...

Guys ? does my plan sound silly ? seriously I dont have enough experiance to judge yet ...but alloting that I can take the beatings I figure the time frame to be reasonable ...but welcome any input ...so please fire away

Shawn (Ogre)
Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Oh, dear.....

Now's a fine time to tell me that this ain't the land of milk and honey.......

Yes, we have all been there.

Wow. That thing is HUGE. Boy, do you sit up in the air.
No back window? How do you see what's behind you?
No, I don't want to go any faster than this... The old horse drawn wagon trains made it across the country slower than this. 15 mph is fast enough.
I gotta be there when??? Yes, I know it's only a quarter inch on the map, but it's 300 miles.
Be there when??? That's 1732 miles. I have to do 90, and my truck is governed at 60.

One way or the other, we've all paid our dues, and the new people coming in get their turn too. You've been to the "PREVIEWS OF COMING ATTRATIONS". Enjoy the movie. You want the easy runs? The gravy runs? You get to earn them through years of work. And there's really nothing safe about it, so you're the one that has to build good habits to keep yourself safe. Name one job where safety does not depend on YOU. Just one.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Lied too ?... well as far as I have seen ...they dont ACTUALLY lie persay ..well except stevens out of Dallas ...apperantly they lead you to the belief you have passed background checks ...get you down in Dallas ...have you sign the 5k Obligatory Contract
You know if a perfect world, no companies would have to do a background check. The application would be enough if people were honest in filling them out. Now to play devils advocate here. And do play the side of the companies. Background checks are expensive and there are a few kinds of background checks. Some are more expensive and more accurate. What you most likely see with some of the larger companies is that they run the less accurate less expensive one first. Then actually make sure the driver is serious and shows up before they run the more expensive accurate one
Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Lied too ?... well as far as I have seen ...they dont ACTUALLY lie persay ..well except stevens out of Dallas ...apperantly they lead you to the belief you have passed background checks ...get you down in Dallas ...have you sign the 5k Obligatory Contract
You know if a perfect world, no companies would have to do a background check. The application would be enough if people were honest in filling them out. Now to play devils advocate here. And do play the side of the companies. Background checks are expensive and there are a few kinds of background checks. Some are more expensive and more accurate. What you most likely see with some of the larger companies is that they run the less accurate less expensive one first. Then actually make sure the driver is serious and shows up before they run the more expensive accurate one
And not only that Sheepdancer, but if the company crosses any border, say to Canada or Mexico, the checks will be 100's of times more complex & expensive. So why would they want to waste their money on someone who may or may not even show up. So it is very possible that when they ran the second background check that likely ran deeper than the first something came up that made you ineligible for whatever it was they do or haul.

From what I understand if you haul HazMat, isn't there a whole separate set of checks you guys have to go through? I haven't ran stateside for many years now, so am not up on all the new rules & regs anymore.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
From what I understand if you haul HazMat, isn't there a whole separate set of checks you guys have to go through? I haven't ran stateside for many years now, so am not up on all the new rules & regs anymore.
In an effort to fight the war on terra (I love his mispronunciation of that word, since 'terra', as we all know is 'the Earth'. So the US has declared war on the whole planet. Sounds 'bout right) we have to get some kind of background check run by the TSA, the 'Transportation Safety Authority' or some Orwellian thing like that. I have no idea who or what they check, and that's for my safety.

Someone in some thread said very few people are disallowed from the TSA. Perhaps people are smart enough not to send fingerprints to the government if they have issues? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

After (or before in some states?) you have to take a written test.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre999

Guys ? does my plan sound silly ? seriously I dont have enough experiance to judge yet ...but alloting that I can take the beatings I figure the time frame to be reasonable ...but welcome any input ...so please fire away

Shawn (Ogre)
Cool, the grumps didn't chase you off. Usually after a posting like yours and the ensuing firestorm, we never see the new guy again.

Of course, I'm a new guy, post count not withstanding. I just had a lot of time on my hands between school and getting on the road (now delayed until tomorrow. Fingers crossed)
Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre999

Shawn (Ogre)
Cool, the grumps didn't chase you off. Usually after a posting like yours and the ensuing firestorm, we never see the new guy again.

Of course, I'm a new guy, post count not withstanding. I just had a lot of time on my hands between school and getting on the road (now delayed until tomorrow. Fingers crossed)
gmh I wasn't meant to be a "grumps" I just get a bit tired of alot, not all, but definitely many new drivers who just can't or won't get it that there is only ONE way to get better runs, better pay, & better equipment...PAY YOU DUES! Just like everyone of us did & many who still do.

This life, & that's what it is, is not for everyone, & definitely not for the faint of heart or those who are afraid of work & many, many hours of DONATED time.... believe me if I had a dollar for every hour I have donated over the years I could have retired 10 years ago.

This industry is like no other. Either you love it or you hate it, just like being a "little bit pregnant" you either are or you aren't. There are ALOT of "steering wheel holders" out there, but there are sadly too few real professionals out here.

After awhile it gets to me when I see all this whinig about their expecationa & how companies or recruiters lied to them. In reality most only here what they want to hear & not what is actually said, nor do they do their research about the company they are cnsidering signing on with, & that I find irritating!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
gmh I wasn't meant to be a "grumps" I just get a bit tired of alot, not all, but definitely many new drivers who just can't or won't get it that there is only ONE way to get better runs, better pay, & better equipment...PAY YOU DUES! Just like everyone of us did & many who still do.

This life, & that's what it is, is not for everyone, & definitely not for the faint of heart or those who are afraid of work & many, many hours of DONATED time.... believe me if I had a dollar for every hour I have donated over the years I could have retired 10 years ago.

This industry is like no other. Either you love it or you hate it, just like being a "little bit pregnant" you either are or you aren't. There are ALOT of "steering wheel holders" out there, but there are sadly too few real professionals out here.

After awhile it gets to me when I see all this whinig about their expecationa & how companies or recruiters lied to them. In reality most only here what they want to hear & not what is actually said, nor do they do their research about the company they are cnsidering signing on with, & that I find irritating!
I got no problems. I suspect many of the answers the OP could have gotten by looking through archives. I read through them for a week or so, and only made my first post when I had trouble using the search to find what I wanted (wow, trouble with the search, imagine that ) But I see what you are saying.

I would take a little exception to the 'love it or hate it' thing being unique to trucking. I've seen it in both medicine and education (although the former does a much better job of weeding out those not entirely interested). The dropout rate for teachers is very, very high. Something like 50% in 5 years. Not as high as for trucking, but much higher than many other professions.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Agreed gmh... but please there should be a HUGE sign on the door of any trucking company, driving school, etc... It should say, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH...

You WILL work hard, you WILL put in long hours, you WILL go where you do not want to be & believe me the DAY before your hometime...you WILL get sent 2000 miles from home! That's just the WAY it is! Live with it or GET out, but for crissake quit WHINING about it!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Agreed gmh... but please there should be a HUGE sign on the door of any trucking company, driving school, etc... It should say, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH...

You WILL work hard, you WILL put in long hours, you WILL go where you do not want to be & believe me the DAY before your hometime...you WILL get sent 2000 miles from home! That's just the WAY it is! Live with it or GET out, but for crissake quit WHINIG about it!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm gonna add the 'research' line to a list I'm compiling: 100 things you didn't learn in school that you should know. I used to teach at the same place I got my truck schooling. I may return there after some time on the road. But in the meantime, I'm going to be sending my instructors (and former boss) some email updates, pictures, etc.

I may even use your second paragraph as a header and/or footer on each page of the list