Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Agreed gmh... but please there should be a HUGE sign on the door of any trucking company, driving school, etc... It should say, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH...

You WILL work hard, you WILL put in long hours, you WILL go where you do not want to be & believe me the DAY before your hometime...you WILL get sent 2000 miles from home! That's just the WAY it is! Live with it or GET out, but for crissake quit WHINIG about it!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm gonna add the 'research' line to a list I'm compiling: 100 things you didn't learn in school that you should know. I used to teach at the same place I got my truck schooling. I may return there after some time on the road. But in the meantime, I'm going to be sending my instructors (and former boss) some email updates, pictures, etc.

I may even use your second paragraph as a header and/or footer on each page of the list
Thank you gmh...I too, am a licenced instructor for CDL, up here we don't have the same licencing structure, but the results are the same, ohhh man the stories... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, feel free to browse through any of my posts & use any you will find helpful. There are a few of us crazy Canucks that run in the far north & are extremely experienced with many & varied typed of equipment, feel free to pick our brains. I would be happy to save just one driver from some of the experiences I had to learn from!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Board Regular

Will do. I've been a teacher of various things for about six years now, and it's nice to be back in a 'learning mode'. With things fresh in my mind, I'll know when my instructors didn't tell me something vs. I forgot it I had a list of a half dozen while I was running around yesterday. Many are US specific (or hopefully so): buy shower shoes, don't take the per diem pay option, do pack books, movies, a laptop, or some form of entertainment to while away your sitting time.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

The only thing I can see it the per diem thing, we don't have that here, or at least I've never seen it.

Would be good to add a list of nec essary tools & misc junk we always need...like bungie cords to hold up air lines, a hammer, etc, & GLOVES...don't forget the damned gloves...min 3 pairs..one to wear one to dry & one spare in case you lose one!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
The only thing I can see it the per diem thing, we don't have that here, or at least I've never seen it.

Would be good to add a list of nec essary tools & misc junk we always need...like bungie cords to hold up air lines, a hammer, etc, & GLOVES...don't forget the damned gloves...min 3 pairs..one to wear one to dry & one spare in case you lose one!
I've found that those black, chemical resistant, plastic coated gloves are FANTASTIC at keeping your hands dry... But they are not as warm. Still, anything you can use to keep your hands dry when rolling up 4-inch straps full of salted slush feels great.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Quote:

I've found that those black, chemical resistant, plastic coated gloves are FANTASTIC at keeping your hands dry... But they are not as warm. Still, anything you can use to keep your hands dry when rolling up 4-inch straps full of salted slush feels great.
Absolutely Windwalker, but I use those when my dolly cranks are coated with salt, snow & sand, but like you say they are not very warm, but I have put them over my regular leather gloves a few times...but this time of year I mostly wear my leather mitts with some sort of fuzzy liner that I can take out & dry, it's far too cold for gloves right now...froze my hands too many times over the years to wear gloves when it's this cold...you learn to adapt to not having fingers (not literally) just the difference from gloves to mitts, & those go up to my elbows.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
I wonder why the US still runs these dangeros A trains doubles???

B trains are alot safer, and alot easier to back up.

The only problem with them is the lead trailer, must have the fifth wheel mounted onto the back of it, on a sliding axle assembly.

So unless you want to buy all trailers setup as lead boxes, it takes more planning on which trailers can be hooked together.

A trains- any trailers can be hooked to make a set

B Trains- only a special trailer can be the lead, any trailer can be the pup.
You would have to understand the LTL operation for it to make sense. Everything goes thru a "hub" and gets relayed. Very complicated but having unlimited flexibility in hooking trailers is a necessity, each trailer often times has a different final destination. B trains would never work. Most B trains stay together as a unit similar to a flatbed persay.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Exactly Snowman7...pain in the butt to be sure, but a necessary evil of the LTL operation...I pull the damned things everyday...don't LIKE it much, it's just part of the job.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
you want to know what I have been wondering????

Why do all these people get into trucking and think it isn't going to be work and it's all easy money???

Job by definition is work,, If you like it thats a bonus but it is still work and
If you don't think so GET YOU HEAD CHECKED!

So you invested 5Gs huh?? That is pennies to what a college student invests...SO quit whining!!

Hope your venting made you feel better. Now go look for a job and expect to start on the bottom, prove youself and work you way up or Quit!

Just stop crying about it. reread your post you sound like a baby.
Nice, 5k or 100k for college, get what you pay for. Too many people get into this thinking truck driving is some kind of adventure. :roll:

Truth is any monkey can drive a truck and some do so how hard can it be? Why do you think employers treat drivers like crap. Its not like we're doctors or something. Expect to get abused and anything else will be a bonus. Pay your dues enough and maybe you'll find something you can live with. When you do, enjoy it because things change and then you'll be looking again.

Many people do OTR but the ones who enjoy it are few and far between.

More than half of local jobs arent worth having, but because its local someone will do it.

You really have to look hard for a good job in this business, but they are out there...

News flash: This isnt a glamorous job! Hollywood lied!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrunner
I find myself asking...WHY..did I pay over $5000 to learn how to pull a 53' trailer? WHY..did I think the work was going to be good? WHY.. did I think there was a shortage of drivers? WHY... is it so hard to find a local job? Why... do most trucking companies lie about everything? Why... must I be forced dispatched? WHY... am I unemployed?

All I want is to drive but be safe at the same time...too much to ask for?

Thanks for reading..I had to vent

Azrunner,

I would just like to apologize for starting the rip fest, before my mean spirited post the rest were encouraging and helpful, I would delete my post but it is quoted so that is useless,

If you dont mind I would like to start over, a do-over if you will.

First I see you are new second post, please let me welcome you and say the this is really a great place to ask questions and get good answers, spelling aside.

Second I have asked myself Why??? about things too many times to count so,,I know and can relate to how you are feeling.

Third If I may give you a tip, Disclaimer I am not a super trucker or a trucker for that matter, but I am human a deal with that has had my share of hard times.

Change your perspective half full is still half full, Did you finish school? If so you got something for your money.

The harsh and simple answer to most of your questions is because you chose them,
YOU paid the money.
YOU went to school.
YOU are unemployeed.
But the beauty is YOU can change that. Dont focus on the Why but on what can you do.

As to the question about companys lying, I personally dont feel they lie any more than when someone makes a resume and puts only the good things about themselves, not bad. If it helps you to think of it this way, I dont think everone is lying but putting there good face forward. Seriously is some cases it is lying but it doesn't take long to figure out why that person is looking for a job. So do your homework on an employeer, but sometimes you have to do the grunt work to get the experience that you will need for a better job. Right now you are learning something new, for the first three months I would say you should be on "info over load" While you take it all in but then you start connecting the dots and things will start clicking.

Anyway Good Luck to you and I hope this didn't scare you to post again,
I was being mean and I am sorry. :sad:

TW
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

question? why is everyone scared of doubles, the y go down the road just like any other trailer...and yes the go in the ditch just like every other trailer, in fact i see alot more 53's off the road than i do pup's.

statement: everyone wants a job...nobody wants to work. in regards to the original poster.