User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wonder why the US still runs these dangeros A trains doubles???

B trains are alot safer, and alot easier to back up.

The only problem with them is the lead trailer, must have the fifth wheel mounted onto the back of it, on a sliding axle assembly.

So unless you want to buy all trailers setup as lead boxes, it takes more planning on which trailers can be hooked together.

A trains- any trailers can be hooked to make a set

B Trains- only a special trailer can be the lead, any trailer can be the pup.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
B trains are alot safer, and alot easier to back up.

Yeah, I see them from time to time. I guess nobody wants the expense and aggravation of getting the lead w/5th wheel and knowing what goes in which trailer.
I heard there was a system where you could chain up the dolly to the second trailer so it wouldn't wiggle so much. Like the anti-sway bars they use for pulling campers (usually too big for the little SUV that's pulling it anyhow). I don't suppose trucking companies want the expense and truckers don't want the hassle.
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

you want to know what I have been wondering????

Why do all these people get into trucking and think it isn't going to be work and it's all easy money???

Job by definition is work,, If you like it thats a bonus but it is still work and
If you don't think so GET YOU HEAD CHECKED!

So you invested 5Gs huh?? That is pennies to what a college student invests...SO quit whining!!

Hope your venting made you feel better. Now go look for a job and expect to start on the bottom, prove youself and work you way up or Quit!

Just stop crying about it. reread your post you sound like a baby.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe

Why do all these people get into trucking and think it isn't going to be work and it's all easy money???

Job by definition is work,, If you like it thats a bonus but it is still work and
If you don't think so GET YOU HEAD CHECK!

So you invested 5Gs huh?? That is pennies to what a college student invests...SO quit whining!!

Hope your venting made you feel better. Now go look for a job and expect to start on the bottom, prove youself and work you way up or Quit!

OUCH! :lol:
Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I couldn't agree more Trukrswyfe. It appears in today's world people want everything NOW. They don't want to work their way up. They want to start at the top.

kc0iv
Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This is one industry where everyone still pays their dues. You are rewarded for your experience and good work ethic with higher pay and better runs. When you go to work for a carrier you need to go where their freight runs. Unless you are on a dedicated run, freight runs irregular routes. A company cannot allow a paid driver to dictate where they run. There could be some options with some companies where you can pick between a few different runs, but most will preplan your runs for you. Starting out you have no idea of where you should go. There are places where freight is typically slow. Most carriers try to keep drivers out of those slow freight areas. When I first started driving, we went anywhere we were told. We just enjoyed driving. It seems the longer I am in this business the more I see people coming into this business who want to dictate how they will work. In real life, it doesn't work that way. You work where and how the company needs you. I think that is why so many drivers change jobs so often. They want everything their way and when it doesn't happen, then the company isn't being fair to them. There will always be things you don't like about a company. There will be things the company doesn't like about you. Adults find a way to work through their differences. They don't take their toys and go home.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Wow ...

well I dont want to step on toes , I dont know you or your situation so Iam limited to what I have observed ...

Okay from the Military ...to The "quickie mart " to the Trucking Industry ...they all make it sound like it is the dream JOb ... Nature of the Beast Mate !

Lied too ?... well as far as I have seen ...they dont ACTUALLY lie persay ..well except stevens out of Dallas ...apperantly they lead you to the belief you have passed background checks ...get you down in Dallas ...have you sign the 5k Obligatory Contract ...THEN they do a Background Check ...now I have some issues there ( AS SEEN IN "getting hired as a rookie" post )...luckily thanks to the magic of this here computer and these fine folks living init ...I have ducked that one ...Good Lord I will always Love Vetrans in any industry ...

Now I dont Know you ...and I am not trying to be insulting ...just offer some sage advice ...I am a Newbie here ...but have been to a few rodeos in other areas of life ...

So in most of these posts , and you are by no means the only one... I think you may have decieved yourself ...heres why ?

I have not seen a singlr Advert - or recruiter YET who says you can make millions and be HOME every weekend ...most all of them have said quite clearly ...there is a Nationwide Shortage of OTR drivers ...

I may be wrong but it sounds like s huge diffrence from what you described ...me I am headed down the same Back alley you did ...with some sence of desperation yes ...

But I have always had the understanding I will be gone weeks ...home days ...I have my own monster Laptop from hell ...can get the cell card if I find I cannot hop the rigs signal or the motels in the area , a camera on it so my wife and I can stare longingly into each others Cyber eyes ...I am gonna miss the hell out of her true hence the ... new cell phone with blue tooth so i can talk anywhere and have hands free ...

I do know that even at starting CPM most start at about 40k ...then seem to move up to 50-60k after about 3-5 years ... and that is the plan I layed out ... at thet point all those miles scrub away my debt ...at that point ...I will have had a chance to establish some senority as a driver ... my finances will be at such a point that frankly ...I am freer to make changes as I see fit with more leverage ... but in the meantime ...MY ASS BELONGS TO THEM ... Nothing GOOD ever comes easy in this world ... and no matter what ...someone is always in line before you ...and after you ... truth is we have a society that teaches younger generations that they are " special " ...well they lied to you too .. special to Momma maybe ...out here in the badlands ...yer meat for the grinder like the rest of us

And good companies /Bad companies ( According to info I got off forums like this and my space from folks actually doing the job ) all pretty much make that bit clear ...

Your a cherry and the rules are the same in any industry ..., head down , mouth shut , do what your told , and watch the Vets ...they survived it this far ... so theres your sign so to speak ...

I wish you luck Budd seriously Like I said theres no insult involved here just hard fact ...maybe a bit of jelousy cause Im catchin flack tryna get where you are now ... I am in Line behind you ...and I will take that Load to Guadalahara or Vancouver ...I dont care ... let me go and automatic deposit my beans !

Hey at least you didnt Leas Own a rig through the companies right ?...please tell me you didnt ? please
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

But, all I wanted was PAYDAY EVERYDAY and NO WORK ON PAYDAY. Is that too much to ask??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Default Re: Why?

Let's keep the gloves up. we've all been there.
Here's my 2 cents worth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrunner
I find myself asking...WHY..did I pay over $5000 to learn
I think this is ridiculous. I haven't heard anyone tell me they learned anything really useful at school. Lots of big company will train drivers now-a-days, maybe you needed to do more research.
Quote:
how to pull a 53' trailer?
Not everyonehas 53', again, more research.
Quote:
WHY..did I think the work was going to be good?
Hmmm, what do you mean good? It's not easy, but you get a free ticket to see the country. All my friends love to hear my stories from the road. And they usually end up saying: "Better you than me, be careful out there". It's like everyone thinks the Hollywood movie star is so glamorous. But if you read/watch the interviews, you learn that's work to, like most jobs.
Quote:
All I want is to drive but be safe at the same time...too much to ask for?
Absolutely not!

And, if you think you're the only one who's been through this, here's a true story to cheer you up:
#1-Auto Parts Delivery Driver. After 5 years I worked up to Bulk Oil Tanker driver and manager. I ordered the oil and received it too, so I could request a noontime delivery. In about 3 more years, I got friendly with a couple of OTR drivers they let me drive their rig around on my lunch break. I even some vacation time to go on a short run with Dan, of Echo Valley Transit. And a week with Giles Transit out of New York. I applied for my CDL and ordered oil the day of my road test. Badda0Bing, I'm on the road.
#2- First OTR job, Flatbedin' with a Kenworth Areodyne cabover. Maine to Florida, Chicago, and Mass. Riding with the owner, I got $300/week. Less than the Parts job! After two weeks it was time for my own truck. This guy gave me whatever I needed for a reference, which got me my next job.
#3-Got a job with Direct Transit. Sat around waiting for loads, made about 1500 miles/week. Quit. They went out of business. (lasted 3 months)
#4- Direct Transit: Pulled doubles (Imagine that, with my experience!) Team, made $0.34/mile way back when most jobs were paying 18 to 29 cents/mile. Grossed almost $50k first year. Almost killed my first co-driver, he was a piece of work, had a stick up his ass 24/7. I thought the second co=driver was going to get me killed, constantly jerking the brakes and waking me up. Third times a charm, rode with Steve, from Merrimack, NH (you out there) This guy was great. Really taught me a lot and was fun to be with. Occationally scared me with a little road rage, but a good guy all in all. Lasted a little over a year and decided that any truck is too small for two men, maybe OK for a married couple, but not two guys.
#5- REEFER- That sucked. I hate lumpers. I never settled in to this job. Drover really FAST powerful all lit up chicken trucks and got some tickets. Ain't no feelin, like chicken mobilin'. It's the truth. Loading and unloading was the worst. Long waits, irritating shippers, and lumpers who drive Mercedes and treat you like scum. Went to Texas and Calif mostly. When I git stuck going to Chicago every week doing 10 to 15 deliveries, I just lost it. I went looking for alternative employment. Lasted 6 months. Pay OK.
#6- State Transportation. Delivered Drywall in the greater Boston area. Seems like I had an accident every week. Got fired after 3 months. $30 per delivery, bust yer arse to get 3 stops in a day.
#7- Beer delivery for Bayside disribution. One of the worst jobs ever. Crappy overloaded 10 wheelers, carrying kegs up 3 flights of stairs. I think that lasted 3 weeks. No money.
#8- Home Depot- Delivering lumber and building supplies with T.T and a truck mounted fork lift. This job was kinda fun. $14.50/hour. Each delivery a new challenge.
#9- A small lumber company. They fired me after 3 months without a reason. I don't think they liked me complain about all the safety violations.
..........A bunch of other stuff, carpenter, operator, mechanic, parts.......
#15-Yarmouth Lumber- all trucks had over a million miles and kept breaking down. I had 6 different trucks in 3 weeks and then quit. Paid $040/mile.
Now I have a great flat bed job. Small, only about 25 trucks. Pay is OK, not great. If the dispatcher gives me decent runs I can gross $1000 no problem. Slow weeks around $700. The owner is great, easy to talk to. I'm not a number and I never get any B.S. from him. Benifits rock and I get home every weekend. What sucks is I run all over the Northeast, from Maine to Ohio, Pa, Ky, Md, DC, and the likes. I'm ALWAYS in heavy traffic. But I have to take the good with the bad. Someday I hope to move to one of the 4 corner states, but until then, this is about as good as it gets.
Truckin' ain't always fun, but it beats the heck out of sitting at a desk all day with a boss barking down my neck. I've had other jobs like that and I always end up back on the road. I've seen things that keep me up at night, and I've seen great things that people wish they could see and probably will never get to see. From the rocky shores of Maine, the Midwest plains, the Rocky Mountains Majesty and the Krazy Koast of Caly. Spent a weekend in San Fran, hung out on Firshermans Warf and ate on the Queen Mary (II?). I've taken parts of old Route 66, been to the Baghdad Cafe sever times, seen the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Volcano craters and miles of volcanic rock. Raced locomotives across the desert. Been over mountains that make my bunghole pucker up so as I think I'll never go again, and slid sideways on the ice more than once. I've never rolled over a truck or had a serious accident. A few fender benders. There is no other job like it. You can't be "a little bit pregnant", and you either is or you ain't, a trucker.
I hope this helps a little, because my fingers hurt and I gotta go!
"Riff Raff", only do it for a laff!
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/
Old 02-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Way to go Trukrswyfe! I see so much of this as well. My question is why does nobody ever want to pay their dues anymore? I have been at this nearly 30 years & see so many who think they can start with the best equipment & the best runs & top dollar.

You know what my first truck was? A 1971 R model mack with a 5 & 2, no idea the rear ends on it but top speed was 50 mph. their was ONE seat which my boss pulled out to punch another hole in the slider so I could get the seat close enough to reach the pedals! It had what we call a coffin sleeper (34" flat top), nowhere to put anything & a teeny little hole to crawl through, you LAYED on the bed to put your pants on in the morning!

You want to know what HARD work is???? Do what I do every day! I run in the Arctic! In winter the temps can fall to -70, Yes that's MINUS 70! Do you have any idea how easy things break in those temps? I doubt it! Try laying under a trailer with a tiger torch in -55 temps with -70 windchills!

I get paid extremely well for what I do, & would not truck anywhere else, I LOVE what I do, but believe me I WORKED for every teeny bit of respect & experience I got!

There is NO SUCH THING as forced dispatch! Whatever dough head came up with that expression is another dope that doesn't want to pay your dues IMHO. Our JOB is to get the next load to the next destination, just cause you don't LIKE where you get sent then find yourself a job where you have a dedicated route or QUIT YER BITCHIN!!!!

Good lord I get so tired of all this WHINING!

[Wildkat gets off her soapbox now]

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"