User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Lied too ?... well as far as I have seen ...they dont ACTUALLY lie persay ..well except stevens out of Dallas ...apperantly they lead you to the belief you have passed background checks ...get you down in Dallas ...have you sign the 5k Obligatory Contract
You know if a perfect world, no companies would have to do a background check. The application would be enough if people were honest in filling them out. Now to play devils advocate here. And do play the side of the companies. Background checks are expensive and there are a few kinds of background checks. Some are more expensive and more accurate. What you most likely see with some of the larger companies is that they run the less accurate less expensive one first. Then actually make sure the driver is serious and shows up before they run the more expensive accurate one
Truer words rarely spoken i suppose ...and good point ... I guess my Major concern was ...as a FAther / husband / Mortgage holder ... what bills arent gettin paid now ...wont get paid any faster standin in dallas with an apology in my hand ... course I agree they cant "see" if your serious I understand ... but if I got blasted for my own stupidity that would be fine ... the problem is when I'm told I am clear i expect it to hold water ...

That "Honesty " thing man I tell you it never makes me any friends really ...but its like a religion for me ...or the closest I got anyway ... keeps kicking my Butt though ... I am starting to consoder NOT listing things ...as "Listing " them so far hasnt done me well .... no not really ...I just had to get that out of my craw ...frustrated is all ...

But basicly ...I see your point ....dont like the paradox it creates ...but I agree with you

Shawn (Ogre)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
question? why is everyone scared of doubles, the y go down the road just like any other trailer...and yes the go in the ditch just like every other trailer, in fact i see alot more 53's off the road than i do pup's.

statement: everyone wants a job...nobody wants to work. in regards to the original poster.
Not reall sure, yes they do go down the road like anything else, tho depending on the configuration they can "wiggle" a bit, and with some the "off track" is less. I think thet mostly the problem with them is inexperience because there are more articulation points & you "can" get into trouble with them quicker if:
(a) you brake too fast,
(b) swerve, or
(c) skid or jacknife

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre999
Ouch ! but hey pretty much the jist of it ...

Guys ? does my plan sound silly ? seriously I dont have enough experiance to judge yet ...but alloting that I can take the beatings I figure the time frame to be reasonable ...but welcome any input ...so please fire away

Shawn (Ogre)
Cool, the grumps didn't chase you off. Usually after a posting like yours and the ensuing firestorm, we never see the new guy again.

Of course, I'm a new guy, post count not withstanding. I just had a lot of time on my hands between school and getting on the road (now delayed until tomorrow. Fingers crossed)

Lol...nahhh Im a tougher cowpoke than that ...sides first job was being shot at for Uncle Sam ...after that ...MOST things are cake ...I'm just a Boy Scout at heart ...but smart enough to figger most of the "real Deal " out for my self ...so frankly I dont mind bein flammed ...theres 50/50 that an individual bustin my hump ...is either a crusty dissedent type ...or they may know something I dont ... I sort my own info ...but like to look at things from all sides while I'm still on the ground at home and have the time
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
Quote:
Ouch ! but hey pretty much the jist of it ...

Guys ? does my plan sound silly ? seriously I dont have enough experiance to judge yet ...but alloting that I can take the beatings I figure the time frame to be reasonable ...but welcome any input ...so please fire away

Shawn (Ogre)
Cool, the grumps didn't chase you off. Usually after a posting like yours and the ensuing firestorm, we never see the new guy again.

Of course, I'm a new guy, post count not withstanding. I just had a lot of time on my hands between school and getting on the road (now delayed until tomorrow. Fingers crossed)
gmh I wasn't meant to be a "grumps" I just get a bit tired of alot, not all, but definitely many new drivers who just can't or won't get it that there is only ONE way to get better runs, better pay, & better equipment...PAY YOU DUES! Just like everyone of us did & many who still do.

This life, & that's what it is, is not for everyone, & definitely not for the faint of heart or those who are afraid of work & many, many hours of DONATED time.... believe me if I had a dollar for every hour I have donated over the years I could have retired 10 years ago.

This industry is like no other. Either you love it or you hate it, just like being a "little bit pregnant" you either are or you aren't. There are ALOT of "steering wheel holders" out there, but there are sadly too few real professionals out here.

After awhile it gets to me when I see all this whinig about their expecationa & how companies or recruiters lied to them. In reality most only here what they want to hear & not what is actually said, nor do they do their research about the company they are cnsidering signing on with, & that I find irritating!
WildKat ...newbie or not ...I have to agree with you ...not just in driving but in many aspects of life ...after raising four kids so far it never amazes me how many folks HONESTLY seem to think the rest of the world exists to friggan amuse them or make their lives easier ... I understand there is no free ride ...but i also realize a newb like me can get into hot water too ...reason I came to gab at you guys .... so for what its worth I really do appreciate your time ...plus I think you were talkin to the original poster ...I basicly said the same thing just a little more padded is all ...

I Blew off Stevens outta Dallas ( well I didnt blow them off I called said "thanks" but "no Thanks" ) As that second "Bckgrnd check" could leave me stranded and Owing 5k in edition to being unemployed ...in my Situation ...I cant handle that ...

I Dont care about home time right now ...I WANT a shot at diggin out from some debt ... I kow it will be long and hard ...course for me ...I like the Gypsy part of my soul ...and I feel secure at home ...Plus after Panama ...nobodys shootin at me ...so... if moneys hittin my account and the homestead is secure WTF do I care at the moment

All I want is to get trained , get in a rig , earn my spurs learnin from the bigger kids on the playground ...make Bankroll at a reasonable pace ...now if it turns out I AM the John Wayne of trucking ( I doubt it ) than so much the better BUT REALLY ...I just want to earn my spurs so to speak ...

Now OTHER reason I cannot help Agreeing with you is simply this ...thanks to the leigons of morons , jackasses , and slick willies that came before me ... it is now harder than it was in times past ...it is also harder to just ask a scincere question without someone getting the wrong impression ...I am a solid guy ...but i realize because of "posers " and such you start out with chips stacked against you ...so the question between you and God then becomes " How Bad DO you Really Want it "

So really like you said kinda ....folks should just pay their Dues and be proud of it

Now as for WHY GUY and the original post ...I agree ...sounds to me like lack of planning ...and we all know the rule ...lack of planning on YOUR part does not constitute and emergencyonMINE...but not knowing the dude and knowing there is always another side of the coin ...I was just trying to be fair is all ...Hence the "Ouch" comment ...doesnt mean I do not agree basicly

Shawn
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The only thing I can see it the per diem thing, we don't have that here, or at least I've never seen it.

Would be good to add a list of nec essary tools & misc junk we always need...like bungie cords to hold up air lines, a hammer, etc, & GLOVES...don't forget the damned gloves...min 3 pairs..one to wear one to dry & one spare in case you lose one!
Hey !!! Can I have that list ...I could use that !!!

I got me a pair of engineer boots , a new Oilskin duster ...my basement looks like an Army Navy surplus depot ...so I got a ton of toys ...just dont know what to expect exactly ...I could use that list ...
Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Ohh and LOL ...I got two pairs of leather muleskinner gloves and one fancy pair of mechanics gloves ( fit tighter and have rubber impact pads over joints and knuckles ) and one less fancy but more insulated pair for cold ... Im a little OCD about some things ...I figgured the glove thing on my own ...but could use more info ...so I dont show up with 200lbs on my back ...

Ohh and guys ...I got a Laptop from hell too ...is there anyone on the boards here that is a smooth tech guy ...can give me some straight dope on using my cooler toys for stayin in touch with home and all ???

Shawn(Ogre)
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ohh and LOL ...I got two pairs of leather muleskinner gloves and one fancy pair of mechanics gloves ( fit tighter and have rubber impact pads over joints and knuckles ) and one less fancy but more insulated pair for cold ... Im a little OCD about some things ...I figgured the glove thing on my own ...but could use more info ...so I dont show up with 200lbs on my back ...

Ohh and guys ...I got a Laptop from hell too ...is there anyone on the boards here that is a smooth tech guy ...can give me some straight dope on using my cooler toys for stayin in touch with home and all ???

Shawn(Ogre)
get a cell phone with free cell to cell calls and get one for home on the family plan, then you can yap all day and night
Old 02-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Yep got one of those too ...I just like the toys 8)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
question? why is everyone scared of doubles, they go down the road just like any other trailer...and yes the go in the ditch just like every other trailer, in fact I see a lot more 53's off the road than I do pup's.

statement: <everyone> wants a job...<nobody> wants to work.
Not really sure, yes they do go down the road like anything else, tho depending on the configuration they can "wiggle" a bit, and with some the "off track" is less. I think that mostly the problem with them is inexperience because there are more articulation points & you "can" get into trouble with them quicker if:
(a) you brake too fast,
(b) swerve, or
(c) skid or jackknife

I pulled doubles for a while with Old Dominion, great company and outstanding pay/benefits, if anyone wants a doubles job...
I liked them WAY better than 53's, they were much, much easier to take around turns. Backing up is a different story. If you have time, experience and lots of patience, they will go backwards, but if you need to back up more than 10 feet, it's usually quicker to unhook them. I never had to do that, but I got into some really tight spots where I thought I was going to have to.
They can get scary real quick too. My very first run, I thought I new it all, I was flying down this hill, south on I-81 in VA, mile marker 201, and the road turns pretty good to the right. I was passing a truck and things got real tight real fast. I had a death grip on the wheel, which led to overcompensation of the wiggle effect, and I wiggled over the white line. The second trailer wiggled all the way to the dirt median which dropped off pretty good. It caused the trailer to tip right up and the right hand (inside turn) tires came about 2 feet off the ground. If there is a 'Higher Power', he was right there, holding that trailer up and pushing it back on it's wheels. That was probably the stupidest and scariest thing I have ever done. I have calmed down a lot and don't take those stupid risks anymore. Once you get used to them, they are, I think, much better than 53's. I would still be driving doubles if I could find a good job that didn't require team operation!
It was all drop and hook operation, which means NO waiting, EVER!
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

Shawn(Ogre)
There are some threads here and there that outline some tech. I've got a pretty new MacBook Pro. After a week OTR, here's some observations:

I'm addicted enough to the internet that I might have to spring for net access from truckstops. I have Verizon's wireless card, and I can get some kind of connection nearly anywhere, but the quality can be decidely lacking. Check out evdomaps.com (or some such) for more info.

Charging is hinky. My trainer said the inverter on the truck is 300 watts. Not quite enough to run the TV and a laptop at the same time. So I get an hour or two of laptop usage per night, and try to juice it up during the day. Works ok. Were I solo, I'd pick the laptop over the TV. I notice there are some LCD tvs in the truckstops that purport to run on 12v or 120v. Worth checking out in a couple of months when I'm on my own.