User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

another big oops i did was when i was OTR. Some new drivers might learn from this as well. I was near downtown Philly. I had perfect directions to the place i was delivering. It was a warehouse, nothing crazy just in an older area of town, no a big industrial park. Instead of following the PERFECT directions in reverse back to the interstate, i pull out randy mcnally and look for a short cut. I learned there are alot of low bridges in the older ciites up north the hard way. By the time i finally got back to I-95 i had cost myself a couple of ulcers and an extra hour instead of reversing my directions. if you get to customers dock with no problem, FOLLOW the directions in reverse to get back out!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
PA
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedawg
another big oops i did was when i was OTR. Some new drivers might learn from this as well. I was near downtown Philly. I had perfect directions to the place i was delivering. It was a warehouse, nothing crazy just in an older area of town, no a big industrial park. Instead of following the PERFECT directions in reverse back to the interstate, i pull out randy mcnally and look for a short cut. I learned there are alot of low bridges in the older ciites up north the hard way. By the time i finally got back to I-95 i had cost myself a couple of ulcers and an extra hour instead of reversing my directions. if you get to customers dock with no problem, FOLLOW the directions in reverse to get back out!!!!
Home Depot distribution?????
Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Just last week I was picking up a load of glass up near detroit. It was a d&h but my trailer was still in the indoor dock getting loaded. So when they finally open the bay door up i get into a hurry and back right under the trailer without getting out of the truck first. Just about every glass plant uses jacks under the nose of trailers while loading. Mine still had one under it. I managed to tear my tail light bar off the back of my tractor and busted an airline in the process. So now im sitting halfway under a trailer with the bay door open for four hours letting the cold air into the shipping dock. Those boys working the dock were not pleased with me at all.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Board Regular

My biggest mistake was putting 5,000 liters of diesel fuel into a premium tank at a gas station. Needless to say I had to let them know right away to stop the premium and midgrade sales. It all worked out. No one got any diesel in their gas vehicles. My company had to get a pump truck to pump out the diesel from the tank and then get another truck to come fill it back up with the proper fuel. I probably cost the company around $40,000 with that one mistake. I haven't had a mistake like that since and I hope not to. Anyways, that's my biggest mistake.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Rookie

I had just finished my drop and on the way out the exit was blocked due to road construction. The flagman waved me out but I needed to turn right but I couldn't because of the work being done so Iasked the flagman to please let me ease down the right side ( he let at least 5 cars and a semi with an end dump go through but would not let me go) and he said no rudely and then I asked him for some directions out. man I tell you I was a fish without water because I did not know which way to go or turn. I kept driving until I saw a apartment complex with 3 cars in the lot, man you talking about a tight turn, a light pole, a mailbox, and tree shrugs. I cleared everything but those shrugs and I was going to stop but I figured this wouldn't happened if the flagman would have let me turn right. I finally found my way back to the interstate with some help from the cops after riding around about 30-45 minutes. I said fuck it and dialed 911 and told them OTR truck driver lost and needs help with directions immediately
Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Rookie

kedzie ave exit off southbound 55 in shytown. don't remember why i was down there. when i left i wanted to go back south on 55. go under the bridge right? wrong! nothing down there but a 12 foot bridge. had to back up 3 blocks to get out of there. that particular route you need to go northbound and make a flip at california ave to go back south. chicago sucks!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower
I finally found my way back to the interstate with some help from the cops after riding around about 30-45 minutes. I said **** it and dialed 911 and told them OTR truck driver lost and needs help with directions immediately
dont mean to hate here, but damn man you need to relax before you kill someone
Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

My biggest mistake was takin a driving job that didnt pay by the hour. :wink:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 AM

A typical night, i arrived at the warehouse to pick up a trailer loaded with empty racks for my 5am pickup. I grabbed my paperwork from the shipper and went round back, found my trailer, hooked up did a pre-trip and left on a three hour drive.

If only i had looked more closely at the paperwork i would have noticed that they gave me the wrong paperwork for the wrong trailer. Worse yet, i also could have prevented this from happening if i had taken the time to open the barn doors like i usually do and look in the back. I would have noticed small plastic bins instead of the big metal racks i was used to hauling. When i arrived at my destination, the receiver politely informed me that the bins didn't belong to them, dispatch however wasn't quite so polite.

Needless to say, the dayshift had a bit of a mess to clean up. I haven't made that mistake again though! ops:
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Board Regular

I was pulling into an agricultural arena in Plainview, TX. I was in first gear, with another driver spotting me and about 10 other people watching. It was a pretty tight turn through some open hangar-type doors. I was watching left, right, and up and I heard/felt a crunch. I looked again and I was well clear of everything and started to ease forward and everyone started waving and yelling for me to stop.

It seems there was about a <1" track that the hangar doors rolled on and the front edge of the lading gear foot caught it as the tractor was going down the shallow ramp into the arena. Ripped the landing gear 75% off.

I had to use two flatbed ratchet straps to secure the landing gear to the bottom of the trailer and had a local trailer repair shop tack weld it securely. I then drove to Lubbock where the whole landing gear assembl was replaced. Almost $3,000.

----------------

I curbed a trailer big-time in Shreveport making a tight right turn at night after a full day's work. There was an electrical/transformer box up on the curb on a raised slab. The two right outside wheels caught the coner of the slab and folded into pac-man shapes, but didn't damage the tires. The front trailer axle was pulled way out of alignment.

I got the wheels replaced at the Petro and pulled the trailer back to Houston (with another one of our drivers behind me) mis-aligned. The trailer crabbed about 2' to the right. Good thing it was 12:00a Saturday night/Sunday Morning when we started back- no traffic and no bears!

Dunno how much that cost but it was expensive!

-j.