User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default your biggest mistakes????

Thought it would be interesting for the noobs is see what kind of mistakes current drivers make and may remember reading this thread when they come up against the same situation.

Here's mine,,,
CRST-3 months- what can i say, this mistake lasted 3 months.

Coors beer-4 years-our trucks were already loaded when we came in the mourning, so we would open each bay door to see what was in each bay before leaving the yard. so one mourning i take off and get down the street and there is a 90 degree left in the street and yes i was going a little fast and heard a loud crash, i stop and there is about 100 cases of coors light 18 packs rolling and squirting beer all over the place. OOPS- FORGOT TO CLOSE THAT BAY DOOR!!! What a mess,, luckily the warehouse was just down the road and the warehouse guys came to clean it up. Needless to say i lost my saftey bounus for that quarter,, oh well, it was only coors beer,,, if it had been some good import i might have cried!!!!

Fuelman- 1 year- Dumped 91 gas into the 89 ground tank OOPS, luckily it upgraded the ground tank so it was fixable.

Fuelman- this one nothing really happened but i sure felt stupid afterwards. The electric window on my daycab is broken so we have cardboard stuck in the window to hold it up. I go over a railroad track and the bump made the window fall down about 8 inches, its kind of cool out at 1 am so i want the window up , i put my left knee on the steering wheel to steer, my left hand on the electric window button, my right hand crossed over to grab the window to pull it up, push the button and that damn window shot up and traps my right hand in the window, so now i'm in a predicament, luckily i was able to push the window down but that could have been a total disater.

OK YOU GUYS,,, fess up,,,,,, tell us your blunders, the only perfect truck driver drives my truck during the day shift and he will be the first one to tell you,,,,,, little does he know, i know he got fired from this job once,,, i;m saving that ammunition for a later date.

PEACE OUT,
FUELMAN
Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Board Regular

I have forgotten to take off grain locks before dumping, raised the trailer up for nothing to come out. Lower the bed back down and now can't get the grain locks off because of all the pressure on them from all the weight that was just put on them.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Board Regular

Swift--- Backed into an extremely tight dock that no one else could get into, on the first try. Then had to pull back out an open the trailer doors that I forgot about and couldn't get back in to save my life.

Knight---- I had those bead massage seat cover pn my drivers chair. One day when I was getting out of the truck to fuel, I didn't notice that the front straps had torn off the thing and when I turn to get out of the truck, the whole thing turned with me and acted like a bed of rollers and shot my ass outa that seat on on the ground before I knew which way was up. And of course everyone saw it.

Dats--- Our most experienced(and grouchy) driver was on vacation. So I was assigned to take his sleeper truck down to St george from SLC ut and back to do his run. I normally drove a international daycab. His was a full sized freightliner. No big deal until I tried to go around the yard with a pup and tore off both his mud-flaps. There was one type of pup that his truck couldn't be attached to because the landing gear was too far forward, and of all the pups in the yard, that was the one I grabbed.

MBI--- We haul super sets that take garbage from a transfer station to the landfill. At the landfill we break up our sets and take each one to a tipper and dump the garbage so the dozers can smash it up. Anyway, the first week I was there I tried to take a trailer up to the tipper whilest forgetting to put my landing gear up and then bent the gear so it took me a half hour to crank that son of a gun back up.

And that's all I'm sharing, Thhhpppp!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I picked up a loaded trailer at our yard just outside of Nashville and took off for Laredo. When I got to the Texas welcome center I stopped for the night. When I got out and walked towards the bathroom something just didn't look right with the trailer number. After the bathroom trip I double checked the trailer number -wrong one. The trailer I was hooked to was supposed to deliver the next morning - in Nashville.

That was a nice non-paid round trip.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I picked up a loaded trailer at our yard just outside of Nashville and took off for Laredo. When I got to the Texas welcome center I stopped for the night. When I got out and walked towards the bathroom something just didn't look right with the trailer number. After the bathroom trip I double checked the trailer number -wrong one. The trailer I was hooked to was supposed to deliver the next morning - in Nashville.

That was a nice non-paid round trip.

WERNER ?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 AM

Getting into trucking without fully examining other options. :lol:
Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Getting married to my Ex-Wife. Also not going with Henderson trucking 3 years earlier than I did. Worst mistake I did while driving would be the time I had a tranny break in Alabama and was told to deadhead it home. By the time I got to the yard that tranny was JUNK they poured out everything BUT the shafts.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Well this was more embarissing than a mistake. It took me atleast 8 trys to get the Peterbilt 387 we have at school backed up to the trailer and I had just backed the W900 up as perfect as you could ask for.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Showed up at a customer at the last second, really dark night, took a few pull ups to get it straight, walked inside to use the bathroom, came back out, guy standing there, "You need to open your doors."

Dropped a trailer at the yard in West Memphis, pulled forward a bit, heard "thump! thump! thump!" against the back of the sleeper, forgot to unhook the gladhands and power cord.

Had directions to a place in Wisconsin, directions were wrong, it was late, I was tired, followed the directions despite that sneaking suspicion we get, wound up in some dude's yard as he sits on the porch in his underwear, drinking a beer. He was a truck driver so he told me how I could find a route through his neighborhood and get back out to the main drag. No harm, no foul.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 AM

Was on a side road in NM, the middle of winter taking a nap and had to take a leak (This was back in the 80's when I still had class and refused to use a Gatorade jug). Jumped out the door in my long johns and locked myself out of the truck. Looked around for awhile and found an S hook from a broken tarp strap and managed to pry out the spot-window in the passenger door...