User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Just to clarify......I have never worked for Big Red. Not back in the day....not now....not ever! I worked for Dowell for 10 years.....Dowell is now Schlumberger Oilwell Services.
Dad worked for Halliburton back in the 80's and 90's here in Southern Illinois. About 2 blocks south of where I live now there was also a big Dowell camp. I don't remember much about Dowell, but I know the Halliburton camp was the biggest east of the Mississippi at one time. About 10 repair bays, one pump bay, 3 wash bays, tire shop, labs, offices, breakroom and showers for all the crews that worked here. Dad worked on a cementing crew but they also ran Frac and nitrogen crews as well as had a huge warehouse across the parking lot that supplied all the other camps east with chemicals and such.

Anyone have any info about any drilling rigs working out there and who to contact about a job? I'd like to work on a rig as a hand. Kinda getting tired of driving a truck. Halliburton wouldn't be bad working on a cement crew, but I don't want to lay all the pipe needed for Frac either. Please let me know. I've heard jobs are paying great up there.

Last edited by P A Frederick; 11-03-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
Dad worked for Halliburton back in the 80's and 90's here in Southern Illinois. About 2 blocks south of where I live now there was also a big Dowell camp. I don't remember much about Dowell, but I know the Halliburton camp was the biggest east of the Mississippi at one time. About 10 repair bays, one pump bay, 3 wash bays, tire shop, labs, offices, breakroom and showers for all the crews that worked here. Dad worked on a cementing crew but they also ran Frac and nitrogen crews as well as had a huge warehouse across the parking lot that supplied all the other camps east with chemicals and such.

Anyone have any info about any drilling rigs working out there and who to contact about a job? I'd like to work on a rig as a hand. Kinda getting tired of driving a truck. Halliburton wouldn't be bad working on a cement crew, but I don't want to lay all the pipe needed for Frac either. Please let me know. I've heard jobs are paying great up there.

The Dowell shop was a 4-bay set up.....as I recall.......I only went into Flora once....in 83. The Bulk facility was behind the shop, as was normal for Dowell facilities nationwide.

Flora had about 135 drivers when I went into Flora.....and about 60 when I left two days later. It was not a fun trip.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post

I don't know what the wages are up in North Dakota, but down here in Texas, if you make the grade you start out at $18.00 an hour. That is with all of the companies from those I have talked with. I don't want to work as hard as the kids do....so I am sticking with driving a truck that pulls a trailer that is round and only requires a 3" hose for loading and unloading.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
The Dowell shop was a 4-bay set up.....as I recall.......I only went into Flora once....in 83. The Bulk facility was behind the shop, as was normal for Dowell facilities nationwide.

Flora had about 135 drivers when I went into Flora.....and about 60 when I left two days later. It was not a fun trip.
What year did they close Dowell here? I don't remember it being here but the building was bought by the city and they use it for all maintenance crews office and to work on the city trucks. Of course they tore the bulk plant down. It's still a pretty nice facility, but not half as big as the Halliburton camp that was here. They built a new one sometime in the late 80's or early 90's (one I described). In the mid to late 90's Halliburton left here and left the building empty. Couple different businesses ended up splitting the facilities up.

They pay $18 an hour for rig hands here in Illinois right now so I'm sure it's much, much higher in ND. If Baker Hughes is paying guys $23 an hour for wireline services, you know the rough necks are making some serious money. I'm just getting tired with messing with all the crap truck drivers deal with. I know rough necking isn't going to be easier, but it might be just enough different to keep me interested.

I did look at Baker Hughes website and they are hiring a wireline driver for around here so I might check into that. Winter here would have to be better than in ND!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Board Regular

Nomak was advertising $27 an hour to start, they just had a job fair in Bismarck. Google "The Shopper" out Williston ND to see if their ad is still up.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Exactly which company is it you are working for? Mile High Energy Solutions....which is what your "job fair" link is about......Or are you employed by Baker Hughes....which is what you have implied.

You have a couple of the "Newbies" wondering I am sure....and you do have at least one "oldie" confused.
Yep, Baker Hughes.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Justruckin, I've been reading your posts and I would really like to pm you with some questions but I see no option to send you a pm on your profile page. Is there another way to pm you?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM81 View Post
Justruckin, I've been reading your posts and I would really like to pm you with some questions but I see no option to send you a pm on your profile page. Is there another way to pm you?
You have to have made a minimum number of forum posts before you can send a private message. It's supposed to slow the scumbag spammers down.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Rookie

Hey Mike (Justruckin),

I've been looking for the past week for jobs up there.

I've got almost 9 years driving experience with an X endorsement in all weather/terrain - even trained students on my own truck to drive for a bit.

I'm 41, have no DUI/DWI's, no felonies, and a left turn infraction on my DMV, but I have no oil industry experience whatsoever.

I just put an application in with Tesoro on Thursday or Friday, but haven't heard back from them. How hard would it be for me to get on with one of the heavyweights up there?

I'm not looking for a "job" anymore. I've held them for the past 9 years, driving "jobs" are a dime a dozen - I'm looking for a career - something with the opportunity for advancement, retirement, the whole 9 yards.

I know Halliburton and Baker Hughes are pretty good companies but I've scoured their website for "Driving" opportunities, hauling frac water, sand, crude, etc. and can't find a thing?

What position titles should I be searching for? I understand you are an equipment operator =-> surely these aren't the only driving opportunities up there...

Oh - and I couldn't figure out how to PM you with my number or I would have.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Board Regular

Hi guys...Does anyone have any info on Nabors? Also.... What companies are running out of Baker, MT. My mother in law lives there and my wife is about fed up with California. So were starting to get things set to move up. Either Baker or Billings.