User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The truth about these new oil field jobs.

Does anyone have any sound info on what they are TRULY about? From A-Z please.

Thank you
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieVHrules View Post
Does anyone have any sound info on what they are TRULY about? From A-Z please.

Thank you
Yeah. They are jobs that require hard work and dedication.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Rookie

It's hard work, eats up a lot of your life, but pays very well. Most people quit and that's good for me because I don't want this market flooded with people willing to work for nothing like the otr market.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Board Regular

I'm home in Michigan, on break right now, from the ND oil patch. Right now I am with Baker Hughes, working as an Equipment Operator, my pay has taken a bit of a hit, but the bennies make up for it. Starting pay is roughly $23 and hour. They pay for housing (Private rooms at places like The Quality Inn, Ramada, Microtel, Best Western, etc.), travel to and from the house (full airline cost reimbursement or .50 a mile if you drive), immediate benefits, Blue Cross Blue Shield, eye, dental, 401k, stock options, etc., upon completion of two week orientation (which I was paid $2200 net to attend). They give you all clothing, winter gear, etc., including prescription safety glasses, you need to buy your own steel toed boots and long underwear.

If you have a wife, kids and or pets, bring them along, as they (Baker Hughes) will house them at no charge along with you. I have a few buddies that I work with that have the wife and kids with them right now. They put the kids in school, and mom goes out and grabs a part time job that normally pays around $14 an hour if not more. We are located in Dickinson ND, plenty of work. McDonalds and Walmart pay around $14 an hour to start. If the wife has other skills, she can make more, especially in nursing.

Here is a link to check out, it is from Mile High Employment out of Denver, CDL-A Drivers and Diesel Mechanics Job Fair in Minneapolis, Minnesota | Mile High Energy Solutions

Here is the Craigslist link JOB FAIR Minnesota for North Dakota oilfield(65-75K first year)

I have two of my friends heading up there, if you are clean you will be hired. We need 500 more people. And we are opening a new terminal come spring time. Things are kind of goofy right now, but we are in a small yard and have more work than you can shake a stick at. In other words, we are growing to fast right now, so not all is rosey right now but should be getting better come spring.

If you are not interested in Baker Hughes, the main issue for you guys will be housing, as there is little of it. Many outfits charge you up to $700+ a month for what many of us would consider third world accommodations and have issues getting you paid. In other words, do your own due diligence! There are many good outfits here in ND, but we have our share of fly by nights that have no problem in stealing from you. If you come up here to work for a legitimate employer, and were recruited from out of state, you should not have to pay for housing! It has never been like that in the oil patch, as companies have historically paid for housing at the minimum, be they man camps or group housing.

Here are some links to check out....

Check out this video too. It is from Cramer of CNBC's Mad Money, he did this show this past August. He did a great job describing what is actually going on up here in ND.

Mad Money, August 24, 2011 - CNBC

A local paper out of Williston ND

Classifieds - The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, North Dakota

If you want to talk, just pm me your phone number and I will give you a call on my dime. I have been in ND since April of this year.

Mike

ON EDIT! if you do not have your CDL Baker Hughes will send you to Denver to obtain one and PAY YOU to attend the CDL school! At no cost to you! So if you know of someone that can work for 30 plus hours straight, and they don't have a CDL, we will get them everything they need!

This is not a job for sissies! I'm 46 years old and hanging in there.

Last edited by Justruckin; 10-24-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Board Regular

Double post for some reason..
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Board Regular

Slodsm,

Agree, this place ain't for sissies.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Slodsm,

Agree, this place ain't for sissies.

At 54.....It is a lot harder than it was at 21!! I'm just happy as crap that I didn't try the "Well Services" again!! No iron laying for me!! :thumbsup:
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Board Regular

Orangetxguy,

It ain't easy, that is for sure, my body aches. But, in this new economy, we take what we can get. Honestly it sucks, but I do enjoy the work. Hell, I need the exercise!

What is nice about this work, is that once you learn the racket, you can write your own ticket. Right now I am in cement, not that difficult, and the young guys are always there to show up this old man... Which I do not mind one bit.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Orangetxguy,

It ain't easy, that is for sure, my body aches. But, in this new economy, we take what we can get. Honestly it sucks, but I do enjoy the work. Hell, I need the exercise!

What is nice about this work, is that once you learn the racket, you can write your own ticket. Right now I am in cement, not that difficult, and the young guys are always there to show up this old man... Which I do not mind one bit.
There was a time....when I was still a kid, when throwing iron together to get ready to cement, frac or acidize a well was a snap for me. I did it in the cold of Wyoming, Utah, Colorado...and the more temperate climates of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio....and California............now......I will let the kids do it.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Rookie

justruckin, don't know how to pm yet but would love more info on how to hire on with baker hughes. like orangetxguy i worked offshore for halliburton cementing and what not in my 20's. would like to get on with baker and i understand the weather, have lived in alaska and seen my share of cold. anyway any info will be appreciated.