User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i can tell u about werner, i "did" a year there. they have electronic logs, and if u move the truck more than a mile doin 11 mph after ur 14 hr hits 0, theyll nail ya. i mean they r a great starter company IF u get a good trainer. my 1st trainer decided to stay up w me all day then try to drive his hrs out we got to bout the middle of i-59 in ms an he flipped our trailer over we both survived, but it was embarrasing to have a guy w 35 yrs of road experience get us into that situation. 2nd trainer had a month of CDL school an couldnt tell me what a "jake brake" was, nor could he down shift. but i got thru it got my own truck an ran w an empty trailer thru all of vt, nh, ma, ct, pa etc for bout 2 months straight. as far as orientation, allentown pa was where i did mine an the lady who was teachin had absoultely no idea what she was teachin cuz she had no CDL. we used computers to test out with. took em 2 days or more to get us a trainer an truck assignments took about 3 or 4 days.

i was on dedicated accts. i ran reefer, and the flt mgr was 10 yrs younger than me and i got gyped out of alot of money for detention etc. miles were lost becuz of the shipper takin their sweet ole time. road break down took about an hr to get thru to, if u go with werner an break down u get to take it to a TA or PETRO and get it fixed but ull stand there w the service counter ppl till someone finally picks up the phone. werner IS forced dispatch and they DO go to NYC ALOT. i pulled thru NYC at least once a week. terminal ppl are kinda rude an they dont care what kind of situation u r in w a load ud have to finish the load.

Last edited by WHLSOFSTL726012; 02-22-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Yeah , out "West" there are no more practical places to park a bobtail tractor under the shade of a tree than out East ...let alone a tractor/trailer ...infact the availability of shade from trees in truck parking areas is so rare/impractical that most drivers would not even mention it ,And it infact sounds like you lack knowlede of all lower 48 states since you are more likey to find tree shade out East than West ...And as far as finding a better way to do "it" ...a better way starts with companies like Knigt ordering the trucks from factory with an APU , And not with me the driver sitting in a 100degree cab sweating hoping that 12v plug in fan will do soething besides blow hot air around . If the smaller 100-300 truck companies can afford to order new trucks every 3-4 years and get them factory equipped with a TRIPAK ... then so can Knight afford these APU when ordering their trucks .
I agree with that, I thought Knight was a world class firm, but it seems they are cutting corners to make ends meet. :angryblue:
Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post
Apparently you are the one a bit unfamiliar with the lower 48. That's right you are a "Super Trucker" that NEVER gets off the BIG road. Try it you might like it. When I run out west I usually run the shortest route possible which usually puts me on the side roads. For me it's alot more peaceful than running in interstate, and you can run just as fast. And oh by the way you will find hundreds of places to pull of the road with not only shade trees but picknick tables fire pits etc. And because you are off the interstate where nobody else seems to go there is NEVER trouble finding a parking spot.

Let me give you an example: A load I do alot is from PA to Billings, MT. After passing Iowa I am hardly every again found on any interstate. I usually will take 85 north out of Belle Fourche, Sd to 212 west all the way to Montana. It's a few hundered miles of open running through Indian reservations. Beautiful scenery, cut off about 80 miles of route, and many, many, places to stop under a shade tree and have lunch at a picknick table.

If you are not too afraid of getting lost you should try it sometime. It's quite peaceful.

As far as Knight and APU's. They figured out a long time ago that not only are they a pain in the ***** but Knight doesn't keep a truck long enough for an APU to pay for itself. So why bother with the headaches.
Hey Dollar,

I use to shoot the 212 to 34 to 90 all the time. I can only thing of two or three places I saw that I'd stop at picnic tables. First would be the scale there in SD, second would be in Hammond area road side picnic tables, Broadus, MT. or Alzeda, MT across the street from Stonewall Saloon. Other then that not in the Rez areas, especially at night. Actually I wouldn't run 212 at night since I always saw the antalope herds in the daylight. My wife was from a small town up on hwy's 12/7 she gave me the heads up about the Rez areas.

How nice of the goverment to place to mortal enemy tribes next to eachother. One killed Custer the other scouted for Custer and wanted the other tribe dead.

I sure do wish companies would make the trucks standard with an apu.

Take care and thanks for the jog about 212

sorry for the hijack
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM

APU is a nice name for a generator, hell my 20 year old Class C mobile home has a gas powered generator in it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
How did you find time to eat all that food required to need gastric bypass surgery when you are allgedly driving 15,000-16,000 miles a month ...I would'nt think you had the time to spend at the buffet eating enough to get obese with that kind of running ...I also find it very hard to beleive that a person who lacks the discipline to cut back food intake and atleast get a few walks in a week to drop a few pounds ,as opposed to letting ones health go and needing sugical help to replace will power would have the will power to do anything you claim ...I'm not trying bash/insult you ,But the behavior that leads to gastric bypass is contrdictary to the beavior required for the things you claim to do at Knight .
Here we go again. You freakin *******! Again you know nothing about me or my personal situation. It's not that I lack discipline as you say. It's because of of helth reasons I need to go this route.

I don't know why I am even gonna waste my breath trying to explain it to such a bonehead like yourself but here goes......

First of all I haven't eaten in a truckstop for the last 7 years. Why? Because their filthy. I carry all my own food with me in my truck, mainly because of being more healthy and yes, I don't have time to waste stopping at truckstops with the amount of miles I run per week.

Now the reason I had the surgery......A few years ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had to have my thyroid removed. Now I'm sure a know-it-all like yourself can tell what will happen to your body if you can't get your thyroid regulated.

Needless to say I gained about 80 lbs. in only about 2 years and I wasn't eating any different than I used to. I usually eat alot of salads, fruit, etc. I tried extremely hard to get my weight under control to no avail.

My final straw was to undergo gastric bypass surgery. No I didn't want to do it, but it was the best thing for my health.

I know we can't all be perfect like yourself, but I am happy with the choice I made. I have already lost 52 lbs. and feel alot better.

For those like yourself...that know it all, and are perfect in every way congratulations! But the next time you attempt to attack me on here I suggest you know all the information first....Oh, never mind you NEVER have all the information before opening your piehole and making an idiot out of yourself.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2 View Post
Hey Dollar,

I use to shoot the 212 to 34 to 90 all the time. I can only thing of two or three places I saw that I'd stop at picnic tables. First would be the scale there in SD, second would be in Hammond area road side picnic tables, Broadus, MT. or Alzeda, MT across the street from Stonewall Saloon. Other then that not in the Rez areas, especially at night. Actually I wouldn't run 212 at night since I always saw the antalope herds in the daylight. My wife was from a small town up on hwy's 12/7 she gave me the heads up about the Rez areas.

How nice of the goverment to place to mortal enemy tribes next to eachother. One killed Custer the other scouted for Custer and wanted the other tribe dead.

I sure do wish companies would make the trucks standard with an apu.

Take care and thanks for the jog about 212

sorry for the hijack
I also like to run route 30 across Wyoming. It's 2 lane mostly with some passing areas but I can still run 66 mph no problem. Especially during the winter months. Better than I-80
Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey dollar, hope your doing better. I have to take exception to the post that labeled all apu's as pos. The small, 25 truck fleet that I drove for last summer had them and they were fantastic. Set the temp at whatever you wanted and walk away. Never worry about the batteries running low because if they hit 12.5v then the apu would come on and charge them up. The drivers that i talked with at the company told me that in the winter when it was -25 they set the truck at 50 and went home without plugging it in and never worried about it. Its the only way to go in my opinion.

JBHunt just sent out a message about idle time. Seemed to me that it was a veiled threat that if your idle time was too high you would be fired. I ignore all such messages. We have bunk heaters and i never idle above 20 but if its below that i dont shut the truck off and rest assured this summer if I need the ac to get a nights sleep the truck will be on. I may not get a idle bonus but I dont care.
If they want to fire me then have at it.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post
Here we go again. You freakin *******! Again you know nothing about me or my personal situation. It's not that I lack discipline as you say. It's because of of helth reasons I need to go this route.

I don't know why I am even gonna waste my breath trying to explain it to such a bonehead like yourself but here goes......

First of all I haven't eaten in a truckstop for the last 7 years. Why? Because their filthy. I carry all my own food with me in my truck, mainly because of being more healthy and yes, I don't have time to waste stopping at truckstops with the amount of miles I run per week.

Now the reason I had the surgery......A few years ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had to have my thyroid removed. Now I'm sure a know-it-all like yourself can tell what will happen to your body if you can't get your thyroid regulated.

Needless to say I gained about 80 lbs. in only about 2 years and I wasn't eating any different than I used to. I usually eat alot of salads, fruit, etc. I tried extremely hard to get my weight under control to no avail.

My final straw was to undergo gastric bypass surgery. No I didn't want to do it, but it was the best thing for my health.

I know we can't all be perfect like yourself, but I am happy with the choice I made. I have already lost 52 lbs. and feel alot better.

For those like yourself...that know it all, and are perfect in every way congratulations! But the next time you attempt to attack me on here I suggest you know all the information first....Oh, never mind you NEVER have all the information before opening your piehole and making an idiot out of yourself.

Gastric bypass does nothing to regulate the thyroid gland ...Gstric Bypass just simply makes your stomach smaller so you hold less food when feeding your face and you feel full off eating less ,Which means simply you lacked the basic self control to adhere to eating less food in your diet on your own ,So the Gastric bypass still boils down to being a last resort for an obese
person who over eats .
Old 02-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

I had girlfriend when I was in my late teens,early twenties who had a thyroid issue(in addition to other medical things as well) and it really f'd her up!!
She was a big woman that gained weight from diet food! She didn't eat very much at all was never able to lose her weight. She ended up passing away at 24 from Morbid Obesity and I almost didn't recognize her when I saw her at her viewing. It had been about 3 months since I had seen her and she had stove pipe legs and arms. Her body was forcing water to her extremities.

I still miss her

God bless you Tiffany

Hope you get better soon Dollar, good luck with it.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Board Icon

Stop with the personal attacks. This thread is about Knight Transportation, not what prompts gastric bypass surgery.