User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, I know for a fact that you will not make it with no heat in -30 below zero weather man, no matter how hard of a man, no one can afford to freeze to death, not many will make it without heat, 50 years ago or today.

But your post is funny as hell at the same time, I bet those boys all had underwear and thick sleeping bags in those rigs too if they did brave the cold of northern winters.

You can bet your ass that their trucks were running all night too, they never shut them off for fear that they would never start again.

Last edited by avc; 02-18-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
I am a newbie and some of these stories about the state of the industry sicken me, this makes me want to go back to construction instead of going for my CDL.
Wise that you are doing the research avc. Seems as though you've read enough to see that these are not isolated incidents and is more indicative of how some of the OTR industry sees fit to treat their drivers. Hell, treating an animal in such a manner is illegal in most places.

BTW, welcome to the board. Keep on asking questions. Since you are new to the board, I would like for you to take a look at this post from Big Jeep on 44's from not too long ago. This post is one of my all time favorites. This was Big Jeep's last straw when working for coolie carrier Gainey Transportation.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
BIG JEEP on 44's
Senior Board Member

Are you at the ***** hole pilot in Syracuse ,NY... i broke down there friday this past Memorial weeked...i been there before ,but only over night with quick shower b4 leaving...well due to break down on friday ,and cat being closed sat,sun,mon i got stuck there 4 days ...And this pos place is just like the pos pilot off trinaty lane in Nashville,TN...no laundry for drivers WTF ,But they got video games :roll: ...the pos super 8 i stayed at down the street tuesday,wedesday...did not either,and without the truck i spent 40 bucks round trip 6 miles for a taxi to go do laundry.

i just put out my resume this home time ,because in addition to low miles and only .33 cpm Gainey can't even offer their divers the ability to keep the truck cool when on break,as they only give 30% idle time ,which is only 3.5 hours a day on top of 50 moving hours which could be 2500-3000 miles...heck they sat me in Dallas Tx for 2 days of 100 degree weather ,and they expect no idilng ,and don't do buiness with ide aire b/c they are both chapter 11...they offer no alteratives to get a/c in the summer and heat in the winter without idiling the truck ...they wrote me up for idiling 8hrs day while sleeping because it's more than 3.5hrs allowed ...in order to not get wrote up again i paid $140.00 for 2 days in a motel ,and then i get qualcomm message stating goo job your idle is down ...no ***** sherlock !...that's because i wasn't in te truck the 2 100 degree days t sat in Dallas...I can't wait to get away...I'm even looking at Werner again b/c atleast they respected the driver enough to give them a/c in the summer,and heat in the winter...and not just while driving... :wink:
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Wise that you are doing the research avc. Seems as though you've read enough to see that these are not isolated incidents and is more indicative of how some of the OTR industry sees fit to treat their drivers. Hell, treating an animal in such a manner is illegal in most places.

BTW, welcome to the board. Keep on asking questions. Since you are new to the board, I would like for you to take a look at this post from Big Jeep on 44's from not too long ago. This post is one of my all time favorites. This was Big Jeep's last straw when working for coolie carrier Gainey Transportation.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
BIG JEEP on 44's
Senior Board Member

Are you at the ***** hole pilot in Syracuse ,NY... i broke down there friday this past Memorial weeked...i been there before ,but only over night with quick shower b4 leaving...well due to break down on friday ,and cat being closed sat,sun,mon i got stuck there 4 days ...And this pos place is just like the pos pilot off trinaty lane in Nashville,TN...no laundry for drivers WTF ,But they got video games :roll: ...the pos super 8 i stayed at down the street tuesday,wedesday...did not either,and without the truck i spent 40 bucks round trip 6 miles for a taxi to go do laundry.

i just put out my resume this home time ,because in addition to low miles and only .33 cpm Gainey can't even offer their divers the ability to keep the truck cool when on break,as they only give 30% idle time ,which is only 3.5 hours a day on top of 50 moving hours which could be 2500-3000 miles...heck they sat me in Dallas Tx for 2 days of 100 degree weather ,and they expect no idilng ,and don't do buiness with ide aire b/c they are both chapter 11...they offer no alteratives to get a/c in the summer and heat in the winter without idiling the truck ...they wrote me up for idiling 8hrs day while sleeping because it's more than 3.5hrs allowed ...in order to not get wrote up again i paid $140.00 for 2 days in a motel ,and then i get qualcomm message stating goo job your idle is down ...no ***** sherlock !...that's because i wasn't in te truck the 2 100 degree days t sat in Dallas...I can't wait to get away...I'm even looking at Werner again b/c atleast they respected the driver enough to give them a/c in the summer,and heat in the winter...and not just while driving... :wink:

Not all OTR companies suck as bad s GTS ...Yes many do , But not all .
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Default How am I doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08 View Post
Hi Dollar,

How are things going for you?
Hello. Well not so good at the moment. I am currently in the hospital recovering from surgery.

It was supposed to be a pretty basic "easy" surgery, but lucky me I had to get my monies worth. I
will probably be out of action until Mid March before I can strat driving again.

Not too bad overall though. At least winter will be pretty much done by then.

For those of you that don't know I underwent Laproscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery on Feb. 5th.

During one of the followup tests they discovered I had a leak in my stomach. Since then I have had 2 drains put in to help the healing process. The one tube goes in between my ribs in my lower armpit, goes under my spleen, over the diaphram and alond the lung. the other drain I am not quite sure where that one goes.

Because of the leak I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since Feb. 5th. TALK ABOUT DRY MOUTH!

I won't know till Mon. the 23rd if I will be able to resume eating and drinking. Even if I can I am limited to 20 ml every 3 hours. That sucks!

But over all I think it was worth having done. I will be much healthier because of it. I have already lost 54 pounds.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
If a company has a policy ,and you are in violation of that policy you will be fired, Maybe not the first time ,But eventually ...And when summer hits and daytime temps are in the 80's and the truck is sitting in the sun the cab will need A/C to be comfortable for most drivers ,And for me and most people the A/C will be wanted almost 24/7 from June-August especially in the South , And Knight will fire a driver for this after taking prior disciplinary procedures like turning truck down to 62mph .

Knights idle policy only gives about 3 hrs idle time for every 10-11 hours driven ...which sure don't even cover a 10hr break let alone the sit time waiting for freight, So how would a driver be fine if doing his/her job right since just simply idiling for the 8hr sleeper portion of a 10hr break puts a driver at almost 3x the allowable idle perentage putting them deeply in violation of company policy ,which is grounds for termnation ...And if the company did not fire for violating the policy they would'nt both to have the policy.
And how long have you worked for Knight to verify that you will be fired?

Sure the company understands idle time will vary during winter ans summer months. Regardless of what you say they do want you to be comfortable. It's people like you that don't even try going to the extra effort to make a difference.

Even on the hottest days in the summer I can usually find a shade tree to park under to keep the cab temperature down. As long as you communicate there is NEVER a problem.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Doing your job right at Knight means taking care of the truck and trailer and using good communication skills with your fleet manager. They are sticklers when it comes to getting the trucks serviced on time and are anal about drivers keeping the tires aired up on the truck and trailer. This is something you really must CYA on. If you pick up a trailer and it looks like it has a tire that has been run low be sure to note it in your DVIR and send a message in or call the shop and let them know so you won't get the blame for it. If you have problems getting into a terminal because your dispatcher keeps routing you away from one to get your truck serviced call your terminal's shop manager and let them know.

As far as communication goes let your dispatcher know immediately anything and everything that will effect the load. Even if you are dispatched on a load that is already late tell them, don't assume anything.

As for their idle policy, shut the truck off when you don't need to run it. It is simple as that. Yes they will whine and send you messages telling you to cut your idle time down, but as long as you are running your loads to the best of your ability and taking care of the equipment that is about as far as it will go. If are doing your best to min your idle time then simply ignore the messages.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerNess View Post
Sorry guys and gals, I mixed up the messages for Marten and Knight (if you read Martens it should be Knights. Sorry
But, having read your posts (and tks) all the current adds for Knight say all their units have APU's
Help.
verNess
Knight doesn't have APU'S they have bunk heaters. APU'S are junk anyway.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM

belpre122 thanks for the welcome, I'm highly surprised that truckers have not gone on a nationwide strike, not only for working conditions but for the outrageous price of fuel which is nothing short of Dick Cheney fraud.

The way things are going drivers will simply be treated worse with the economy shrinking, this is also due to Cheney and his energy task force formulated with the fraudulent Key Lay of Enron who was in fact convicted of Federal crimes. Lay conveniently had a massive heart attack right before he was to be sentenced.

I guess with no national union for all drivers and guys willing to work for nothing this is the sort of treatment you get, too bad the Teamsters don't have the power they once had, this is the core root of the problem in this industry.

Together truckers have a lot of power, they could shut down everything in short order if they would fight for what is right, but there is no real pressure being put on to force change in the business. Deregulation was designed to bust the unions and the large carriers that employed union drivers, and it is still working to this day.

Maybe the next thing is all Mexicans in the cab like the construction industry, they have completely sold out the American worker and it is our fault that we allowed this to happen also.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Of course what dear old Truckin Tim has neglected to mention is that back in the good old days that many truck stops had bunk houses for the drivers to sleep in and that it was a lot safer to pull off in the middle of nowhere and many drivers would hang a hammock under their trailers and sleep outside in the hot months if they didn't or couldn't stop at a bunk house. Also in the good old days most drivers did not stay out for weeks at a time either. There was very little actual long haul operations. Most of it was more a regional type of thing and freight going across country was either sent by train or transferred one or more times to another carrier who had operating authority for that region.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Will conditions get better or worse ?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````

"Worst Is Yet to Come" Americans' Standard of Living Permanently Changed: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Posted Feb 17, 2009

There's no question the American consumer is hurting in the face of a burst housing bubble, financial market meltdown and rising unemployment.

But "the worst is yet to come," according to Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, who believes American's standard of living is undergoing a "permanent change" - and not for the better as a result of:

An $8 trillion negative wealth effect from declining home values.

A $10 trillion negative wealth effect from weakened capital markets.

A $14 trillion consumer debt load amid "exploding unemployment", leading to "exploding bankruptcies."

"The average American used to be able to borrow to buy a home, send their kids to a good school [and] buy a car," Davidowitz says. "A lot of that is gone."

Going forward, the veteran retail industry consultant foresees higher savings rate and people trading down in both the goods and services they buy - as well as their aspirations.

The end of rampant consumerism is ultimately a good thing, he says, but the unraveling of an economy built on debt-fueled spending will be painful for years to come.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````

Thank Bush and Cheney and their oil and war fraud for all of this people !!!

Next they will be wanting you guys and gals to work for less than minimum wage due to the economic situation.

Last edited by avc; 02-18-2009 at 01:37 PM.