Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnd1953 View Post
Went to pick up some parts for the shop at the Kenworth dealer. I've done this a few times before. Before I just signed for the parts because Arrow had an account. This time the parts had to be prepaid which was done with a credit card. I asked the counter guy "what, doesn't Arrow have an account?" and he said not really. They have to pay for each transaction. I also found out that the reason we don't stay at the Days Inn anymore is because Arrow couldn't pay the $10,000 bill which the motel sued for and won.
None of this surprises me! What hotel are you guys staying at in Tulsa now that the Days gave you the boot? I know the feeling, too. I couldnt get a damn cab to show up at the hotel because Arrow wouldnt pay the damn bills. That was way back in early 2008. Told the cab dispatch that I was paying for the ride, not Arrow, and I had cash. Asked me if I was an Arrow driver, I said yes....... no ride.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Staying at the Super 8 now. What a dump. No M/W or Fridge. As for me, I've decided to take the job as a door and window store manager. This is a brand new business. I will build all displays, etc. It's going to be in Pasadena, Ca. I have to drive about 15 miles each way. Starting pay could be better but I get a 10% commission, $600 a week cash, and I can do any installations I want until we are fully functional and I need to be in the store the whole time. Pretty good deal. I'll start in a few weeks. I told Arrow on Friday I needed to turn my truck in. Have to call them Monday AM to see if I take a load to Phoenix or Tulsa. It has to be to one of those destinations. I won't take it anywhere else because I'm sure I'll be stuck there for awhile waiting for a load. I want to leave on good terms if possible. I heard that Arrow gets a subsidy from the government for every new driver. I can't seem to confirm this so does any one know for sure? I am also going to apply for unemployment even though I quit. In California, according to website, you can still get unemployment if you're earnings have dropped and/or the employer has cut your pay and you have to quit to seek a better paying job. I know Arrow will contest it but all I have to do is show Arrow is starving existing employees to force them to quit and still hiring new employees. California has different rules than Oklahoma. It is also much more liberal and doesn't take kindly to some of Arrow's tricks. I will keep everyone updated as to how this works. Drive and be safe
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnd1953 View Post
Staying at the Super 8 now. What a dump. No M/W or Fridge. As for me, I've decided to take the job as a door and window store manager. This is a brand new business. I will build all displays, etc. It's going to be in Pasadena, Ca. I have to drive about 15 miles each way. Starting pay could be better but I get a 10% commission, $600 a week cash, and I can do any installations I want until we are fully functional and I need to be in the store the whole time. Pretty good deal. I'll start in a few weeks. I told Arrow on Friday I needed to turn my truck in. Have to call them Monday AM to see if I take a load to Phoenix or Tulsa. It has to be to one of those destinations. I won't take it anywhere else because I'm sure I'll be stuck there for awhile waiting for a load. I want to leave on good terms if possible. I heard that Arrow gets a subsidy from the government for every new driver. I can't seem to confirm this so does any one know for sure? I am also going to apply for unemployment even though I quit. In California, according to website, you can still get unemployment if you're earnings have dropped and/or the employer has cut your pay and you have to quit to seek a better paying job. I know Arrow will contest it but all I have to do is show Arrow is starving existing employees to force them to quit and still hiring new employees. California has different rules than Oklahoma. It is also much more liberal and doesn't take kindly to some of Arrow's tricks. I will keep everyone updated as to how this works. Drive and be safe

BOL to you at the new job. And even more luck to you getting unemployment from a broke state.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks devildice. It looks like it won't be unemployment now. I've had shoulder problems with my left side and since I'm left-handed it has made working painful. I went to the doctor and it seems I have a "frozen shoulder". Yeah I know, I never heard of such a thing either. I googled it and was surprised. Anyway, I am now listed as "disabled". He said I could drive a truck short distances but can't handle any freight or throw things like chains and straps. I have to start therapy immediately or risk loosing more use of my shoulder. I also have to start a daily home exercise program that is quite painful and can't be done by itself. I told him my wife would help since she would enjoy the "pain" part.LOL. Luckily I signed up for the additional disability insurance with Arrow which is an addition to my state disability. The alternative to therapy is "putting me to sleep" and manually moving the arm. They hate to do this as it sometimes results in broken bones:eek2: As far as unemploment goes, after researching it I think it would have been approved for a number of reasons. Anybody else in California can do the research or ask me and I will lay it out. With Arrow I will be on medical leave. Just waiting to hear back about the truck. Told them I could take it to Phoenix as a D/H but they have to pay for the bus ride home. We'll see.

Last edited by jvnd1953; 09-30-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
BOL to you at the new job. And even more luck to you getting unemployment from a broke state.
I hear ya!! HAHA!!

I lived in the Pasadena area (Arcadia, then Sierra Madre), then bought a house in Fontana (couldnt afford one in Pasadena), had a great executive level job in Irvine, got laid off, lost the house, lost my axx, lost everything. Moved to NC. Had to get out of that liberal cesspool.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 PM

jarhed1964, I hear ya' but your situation is the same as a few million others throughout the nation. Not just California. I am not a big fan of California but it does have the best property tax rate going (1%) and I can tell you something else, I pay $700 a year property tax on a currently valued $400,000 home. How? I bought the house from my parents and in California they can't re-assess the value when property changes hands among family. I pay the same tax my parents paid. I don't know of another state that does this. I wanted to keep politics out of this thread but I have to say this. It's time for a revolution. Not the violent one but the one at the polls. Every American needs to VOTE. The difference this time is you don't vote for an incumbant. Vote everyone out that you can. Put in someone new. Cases like Ted Kennedy being in the Senate over 30 years is obscene. Our forefathers never meant politics to be a career. This has nothing to do with Dem or Repub. None have proven themselves worthy to hold office. NONE. What a message these politicians would get and what a lesson learned. It can be done but only when every American wants it done. Sorry, I'm off the soapbox now. I also want to keep this an Arrow string so if you want to comment fine but lets try not to get off track.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 AM

Still waiting for Arrow to tell me what to do. I can only take the truck to Phoenix empty. Doctors orders are no throwing objects such as chains and straps. No lifting heavy objects such as tarps, and no pulling such as bungee cords. Talked to a orthopedic therapist today and he said basically my flatbed days are over. They found the beginning of arthritis in my elbow and forearm today also. All on my left arm and I'm left-handed. A frozen shoulder is very, very painful. The therapy is more and worse pain. Although I was diagnosed in May I thought it was getting better. When they tested my movement again on Monday, it was worse. There are three stages. Freezing, frozen, and thawing. I am currently in the freezing to frozen stage. Each stage can be 4 to 12 months long. Without a 3 time a day home exercise program using a second person and professional therapy it only gets worse until surgery is the only option. I asked my DM if Arrow would fire me or put me on a leave of absence. He didn't know. Still waiting for that answer. We'll see how Arrow handles it. I'll keep updating until I am no longer employed by Arrow as what Arrow does with me may interest other drivers.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Board Regular

Heyyyy Guyssss!

Just a quick stop... I'm in Santa Nella and have a drop appointment at 1600 hrs in Lathrop and I cant be early??? for a drop??? Dont know why not but ohwell. Sounds fishy to me but heck i'm still running and not throwing tarps around. I do miss the excercise!:whistle:

JVND, careful Arrow doesnt say hey we'll get you a load to Tulsa and we'll have another driver secure the load for you.. All you have to do is drive it here. Then they say your on workcomp and have to see there doctor in tulsa and have to sit in the hotel room till your better.

I stopped in Lost Hills for fuel and as I was about to get on North 5 i saw a flatbed running north. The flat bed was an old freightliner mid 90's it was pulling an old trailer nothing with Arrow on it anywhere except for the two tarps covering his load. So either he ripped off the tarps or he bought off someone?????? Does arrow allow subhaulers to use there equipment??
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks dewerc2 for the headsup. Those tarps were probably sold. I know a lot of drivers abondoned their trucks, sold the equipment to get home. I'm not going to Tulsa. I am D/H to Phoenix and they are supposed to pay for the bus ride home. I will then go on a medical leave of absence. They kept trying to make me quit and I refused. I told them what the doctor said and that the ball was in their court. They are so afraid of having to pay unemployment. I was told by a therapist my flatbed days are over also. If Arrow cannot give me an job doing something else here where I live then I can quit voluntarily to seek other employment. Arrow must pay unemployment until I do. This came from the unemployment people themselves. I'll keep updating as I am home a lot now:thumbsdown: I miss the road already. Started therapy today, What painnnnn. I have months of this. Whats amazing is I can still do certain things. I just have a third of certain kinds of movement. This condition starts in older people starting at around 50 to 60. I just turned 56. It comes on gradually and can result from overuse or a injury from many years prior. They still know very little. My dad always said "gettin' old ain't for sissies"