User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvnd1953 View Post
I had a friend call and wants me to drive dumptruck locally for $20 an hour. I will have to pay my own taxes, etc. I think I'm going to take it.
What do you mean that you will have to pay your own taxes? Best of luck and thank you for all your input
Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
What do you mean that you will have to pay your own taxes? Best of luck and thank you for all your input
it's called a 1099 form. you are responsible for your own taxes. arrow sucks. now run from them and don't look back
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
it's called a 1099 form. you are responsible for your own taxes. arrow sucks. now run from them and don't look back
My understanding of the tax laws is you can't drive someone else equipment and be considered self-employment. I wish it was so, but the IRS seem to want everyone employed by another. I think our government finds this easier to collect taxes.

Perhaps, I should start a thread and ask who are driving, have their income report on a 1099, and have not run a foul of the federal and state tax laws.

Oh, and from following this thread I have to agree that Arrow is a bad company.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:17 PM

Hey danske, how ya' doin? We met when I started with Davis. Freebird is right. At the end of the year the employer files a 1099 form and the IRS and state get a copy. You must pay the appropriate taxes. I was self-employed for 23 years prior to driving which I started20 months ago. I get a weekly check for the hours worked. 40 hours will be $800. I will take $150 out immediately and put into a separate acount. I will pay my taxes and medical insurance out of this account. At the end of the year if there is any left, it's mine. Bonus pay. This should be a pretty good bonus with Obama's tax cuts huh? LMFAO. Anyway, just talked to my buddy and the truck won't be ready for a couple of weeks. Needs to get registered, etc. Also, right now he has only work for 3 days a week. In a few weeks he will have work that will be 6 days a week and should last for a long time. 3 days a week is more then I made this week. Paycheck was $280. Next week will be worse. Sitting here in Tulsa I see a lot of existing drivers going to the bus station. There is no slow down in the number of new drivers. Both experienced and trainees. Arrow can't afford to put existing drivers in their own room anymore so I share a room with a driver waiting to go out with a trainer. Mixing existing drivers with new drivers is a big mistake for Arrow. Arrow told these new drivers they could expect 3200 miles a week. :hellno: I LMAO and set them straight. They were not happy. I think they all believe as I did at first, I'll be the exception. I told them I think I've had 2 or 3 3000 mile weeks this year and I've been fortunate. There are many drivers getting less miles then I have. I said to expect an average run to be 500 to a 1000 miles. A 500 mile run picking up Friday morn will not deliver till Monday morn. This is flatbedding and receivers close at 1500 hrs if not earlier on a Friday. This means a driver can drive the 500 miles on Friday and sit the weekend and because they are under load, will not receive any layover which at best would be $25. Unload Monday and wait till the end of Monday to get a load. Maybe you have the hours to get there that day but the shipper will be closed. Pick up Tuesday morn. A 1000 mile run will deliver Thursday morn. This is assuming you weren't held up at the shipper. Unload Thursday and wait till the afternoon to get a load that will pick up Friday morn. 500 mi load will deliver on Monday morn. Total is 2000 mi. This is a great week with Arrow and this would be a problem free week also. Everything went perfectly. Then you wake up. Drive and be safe.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Went to pick up some parts for the shop at the Kenworth dealer. I've done this a few times before. Before I just signed for the parts because Arrow had an account. This time the parts had to be prepaid which was done with a credit card. I asked the counter guy "what, doesn't Arrow have an account?" and he said not really. They have to pay for each transaction. I also found out that the reason we don't stay at the Days Inn anymore is because Arrow couldn't pay the $10,000 bill which the motel sued for and won.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:28 PM

Anyone know what happened to dewercs2? I would call him but I hate to bother him if it's bad news from his accident or medical and he doesn't want to be bothered.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM

danske, some O/O wiyh their own authority are basically self-employed. They contract to carriers. These carriers will file a 1099 at the end of the year. Maybe an O/O can confirm this for me. I know in the civilian world that's how my construction business operated. As far as driving someone else's equipment this is how it works. You are employed by the company, in fact, I have to be approved by their insurance which is why my friend needed me to get experience before he could use me. They just choose to pay you as a contractor. Perfectly legal and quite common. I wouldn't do this if it wasn't above board and legal. I will also pay more taxes then you. Your employer pays 1/2 your social security. I have to pay the whole thing. Self-employment tax for self-employed is usually 110%.

Last edited by jvnd1953; 09-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 AM

Well it took Arrow one hour to fix my truck. I spent 6 days waiting. Now I have to wait for a load. Told there is no freight. Number 20 on the list. Every Arrow driver I talked to is unhappy. I found one driver out of about 25 that is getting miles and he's been with the company 2 months. He's making less then us so they run him more. He'll join us in a month when his pay increases to ours. I've made the decision to leave Arrow after my hometime. I will turn in my truck at Phoenix. I see things getting worse with the winter slow down. I have some interviews coming up with a solid job offer. :clap:
Old 09-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

goodluck jvnd1953, i don't think it can get much worse than where you are now...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Is there more then one Arrow Trucking out of Tulsa? I met a driver tonight who had a clean truck, a nice trailer and he liked his job. He cant work for the same place.